UC shenanigans, Sorry for the repost from PB but this important for homeowners

1,990 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rwtxag83
mjfrog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved to this suburb, and there is some serious California-minded frickrey going on. Neighbor has a permit that is disallowed because the gate lock is not oriented on the right side of the fence. Okay, maybe some accidental misinterpretation? He got dinged for a bad roof job too, and did the UC permit office help?

No. It gets worse. We have a guy that is a reliable plumber, needing to get certification to get a gas line installed for an oven. Do they show up to give him the Cert? Nope. Noboby, after 3 attempts. He's pissed, and two other attempts at getting a plumber have failed (my guess, they knew the score and said, "no thanks"). Keep this in mind as you read this wall of text. Sorry, I'm trying to be concise.

However, We needed a new roof and some electrical work done as we are replacing a poorly done (not to code) covered patio. One permit group shows up to "certify" our electric extensions, they say 'yup all good." Then, they supposedly showed up to certify the final electric work while I'm in the front room of the house sleeping, but claimed they rang the doorbell twice, knocked twice. My dog always barks at the doorbell ring. No bark. Bullchit. 70 dollars added to the permit office for "no answer" paid by the Electrician. Needless to say he's not happy.

And yet it gets worse. A week later, we get the roofer permit approved. APPROVED! And one day later, we get a letter in the mail telling us we failed to get a permit for the patio cover structure which is tied to the roof job! So their claim is that we made a modification to the covered patio slab. Hey, your fresh, off the turnip truck kids could have looked at this already! If you saw the slab, you'd instantly know it was there for decades, with 20 year old stains nonetheless! Nope, they think we installed it this month. Seriously? The roofer, whom I'd recommend without question, is PISSED, and yeah, so are we. They actually think we need to pull a new permit to demonstrate the open canopy to the covered patio needs a new permit, even after their electric permit people came ALREADY and signed off on the work. This is the definition of government overreach.

So, long story short, If you buy a house in UC, expect to re raped of all your home improvement savings, so some California transplant "count" can line "it's?" pockets. I'll be showing up at all city council meetings going forward. I hope that some of you feeling this pain are out there and are willing to join us! Aug 20th next city council meeting FWIW.

Edit to add, our roofer, said "no more UC jobs". Great plan by our corrupt SJW A-holes.

Whitetail
AG
UC?
bam02
AG
Universal City?
rwtxag83
AG
Doesn't surprise me one bit. There are a handful of municipalities that are within a stones throw of UC that are all pretty much bozos. No consistency whatsoever. They are supposed to insist you build things to code, but the inspectors are all on some kind of power trip neo Nazi thing. The things they insist on and/or make you change regularly have no basis as far as how code applies. No way I would buy/build or rehab a house there. Too many other places you can invest that are nearby that don't play games. It's crazy. I guess if you find some kind of personal value in living over there, fine, but I ain't drinkin the kool-aid.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.