Chevy Silverado Wheels ALMOST Stolen

3,276 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mike Elko
Humorous Username
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Walked out to my truck this morning to find all of my lug nuts scattered on the ground, including the locking lug nuts. Also found two thick pave stones at the side of my truck.

I'm guessing that when I got up at 4:30, went downstairs, and turned on the living room light, they saw it and took off.
Matsui
AG
Can you park in your garage?
Humorous Username
AG
Too much junk in the garage, and truck is too long.
GinaLinetti
AG
Damn!!!! Did you find all of your lug nuts?! Looks like it's time for surveillance in the drive way
Humorous Username
AG
Found every lug nut. Was able to drive my truck into work.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
If I may ask, what part of town?
p_bubel

My brother-in-law's truck several years back in Northwood.

They love Chevy wheels.

You are VERY lucky to not have driven off without lugnuts, like I would have.
Humorous Username
AG
p_bubel said:

My brother-in-law's truck several years back in Northwood.

They love Chevy wheels.

You are VERY lucky to not have driven off without lugnuts, like I would have.

Those are the exact pavers that were by my truck.

This happened in Northwest Crossing.
BrazosBull
AG
Any idea how they got the locking lug nuts off ?
Humorous Username
AG
One of the auto parts stores' employees showed me an $11 tool for taking off stripped lug nuts, or locking nuts when you don't have the key.
p_bubel
Quote:

But according to what someone from Help Eliminate Car Thefts (HEAT) told the New York Times, wheel locks don't make much of a difference. If the bad guys can't find your key (or have their own or don't feel like looking), they can easily buy a socket with little splines in it that will take the lock right off. You can buy that gadget online, too.
Jalopnik
p_bubel
The solution is here:

Humorous Username
AG
Update: Found out that the pavestones were from a neighbor four streets away. The neighbor had to leave at 3 this morning to drop off a relative at the airport, and was adamant that she saw a "dark figure" crouched next to the pavestones when she left, but couldn't fathom that it was a person.

She also has security cameras, and will check them tonight.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Some people are just evil
always gig em
AG
couple years ago in a nicer NW neighborhood in SA (where we used to live), 10 trucks got hit in one night, two streets apart, all newer models

all they took were the tires and rims..............one of those chevy's belonged to an SAPD officer
lotsofhp
AG
So before they went to steel your wheels they stole someone's pavers. F'ers.

Man I hate theifs. I wish these guys would always get busted but it seems like they rarely do.

Hopefully with the huge uptick in residential security cameras a lot more of these guys will start getting caught. And hopefully go to a federal pound me in the butt prison.

My F150 just got broken into in one of those jobs where they break into a bunch of cars at one. Didn't take anything as I didn't have anything valuable in there.
jgh85Ag
AG
We live by Retama. Our neighborhood has been getting hit by these tire thieves as well. Someone got pictures off their camera but not enough detail.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Steel socket hammered on will remove locks
The Lurker
AG
Seems to be getting a lot worse this year, anyone else notice that?
UnderoosAg
AG
1604 and Braun. Been a couple of years now but they got three GM trucks in one night within about four blocks in our hood. About 2am I was just going to bed when I noticed a spotlight go by the house. Went outside to check and it was a sheriff rolling thru. I'd guess they did it between midnight and 130. Ballsy.

Some auto board folks recommended these. I put on two sets and hid the key where it's a PITA to get to, and not in the console or glovebox.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-guard-locks

UnderoosAg
AG
I'm going from memory, but the factory GM 20's are something stupid like $800 a pop. Makes them a target.
p_bubel
This y'all?
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
UnderoosAg said:

1604 and Braun. Been a couple of years now but they got three GM trucks in one night within about four blocks in our hood. About 2am I was just going to bed when I noticed a spotlight go by the house. Went outside to check and it was a sheriff rolling thru. I'd guess they did it between midnight and 130. Ballsy.

Some auto board folks recommended these. I put on two sets and hid the key where it's a PITA to get to, and not in the console or glovebox.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/gorilla-guard-locks

What neighborhood? I live over there...
Humorous Username
AG
p_bubel said:

This y'all?

Thankfully not me.

Still have my wheels.
Tursiops93
AG
There have been several cases of this happening in the Schertz/Cibolo area lately as well.
UnderoosAg
AG
Wildhorse
babie_kreauxda
AG
i have heard that thieves heat the lug nuts and cool them quickly to break them off instead of fiddling with unscrewing them
lotsofhp
AG
krobocop said:

i have heard that thieves heat the lug nuts and cool them quickly to break them off instead of fiddling with unscrewing them

I wonder how they do that. Torch to heat and water spray to cool? Seems like that would take longer than just unscrewing them. But they obviously know what they're doing.
option short side
AG
Humorous Username said:

Walked out to my truck this morning to find all of my lug nuts scattered on the ground, including the locking lug nuts. Also found two thick pave stones at the side of my truck.

I'm guessing that when I got up at 4:30, went downstairs, and turned on the living room light, they saw it and took off.

Spoke with a cop friend of mine a few weeks ago and he said he has seen more of this happening than anytime he has been on the job. He said it especially bad at apartments
p_bubel
It's easy money, frankly.
lotsofhp
AG
Crime clearly pays in SA
Humorous Username
AG
p_bubel said:

It's easy money, frankly.

I'm trying to make it harder for them.
James Walker `02
AG
Of course it does. The Chief is to busy being a politician to be bothered with fighting crime.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Had 2 F250 Platinum tailgates stolen over a 6-month span. The first overnight from a hospital parking garage, the second from my driveway. $6500 replacement each time. Thank God for insurance and a $100 deductible.
Humorous Username
AG
New locking lug nuts are now on every carriage bolt.

I'd like to thank Amazon for messing up my order twice, thus requiring three additional nights of me staying up overnight and watching out my front window (with firearm at my side).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.