Mayoral Race in San Antonio

6,367 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GinaLinetti
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was fun while it lasted s.a
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Burdizzo said:

I hope I am wrong too, but I got a bad feeling about this.
Looks like the bad feelings are gonna last a while. Wasn't even really that close.

Burdizzo
AG
Welcome back White Elephant Street Car.
The Lurker
AG
John Courage winning in conservative District 9 is the biggest surprise for me.

Congrats to Aggie Clayton Perry winning District 10. I have a feeling he is going to be frustrated that his reason and common sense won't go over well with his fellow council members.

At least Alan Warrick who passed out on a downtown bench and lied about being drugged didn't get re-elected.

f2foxes2001
AG
Taylor was a good mayor. Ron will be okay. I think he'll be a good advocate to keep our downtown momentum moving. Interesting though that he is very well connected into the Jewish community and still practices his Jewish faith; yet the paper went out of their way to present him as a Methodist. What are you trying to sell us, dear Express News?
AG
Nice start with momentum, we are doing our part to help the world. Meanwhile all our crappy roads, transportation issues, crime, etc will languish on the back burner.

Why do we have to spend time on this if we have no control over China, India, etc? We are turning into South Austin. If we (stupid ass city govt) paid a climate scientist to come up with that projection, we pissed away that money for sure.

"San Antonio residents are going to be hearing more from their city government over the next year about how to respond locally to a global climate crisis. After the new City Council passed a resolution Thursday in support of global climate goals, the focus shifts to what cutting fossil fuel emissions means for on-the-ground issues like city codes, utility bills, public transit, parks and community health.

City leaders and environmental advocates say the next step is to allocate funding for a climate action plan, which likely will begin at a 2018 budget goal-setting session 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Convention Center.
"The next steps for us in terms of climate really are working with the mayor and council where do you want to go?" city Sustainability Director Doug Melnick said. Some of the planning work already has been done in the form of the SA Tomorrow's Sustainability Plan, which set environmental and public health goals for 2040.
In developing that plan, the city hired Texas Tech University climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe to look at how the city's climate has already changed and what might happen in the future.

In short, San Antonio is set to get even hotter. By 2041 through 2070, average temperatures will have increased between 4 and 8 degrees, bringing two to three more weeks per year when the temperature tops 100 degrees, Hayhoe projected."
jgh85Ag
AG
Of course she is projecting hotter temps. Then she gets paid for telling S.A. how to prevent it.
Burdizzo
AG
Nirenberg was a "modern transportation system"

Get ready for streetcar 2.0
BoozerRed78
AG
My sources tell me that one of the agenda items for the next council meeting is a proposal to place the statue of a unicorn in Alamo Plaza.
p_bubel
Burdizzo said:

Nirenberg was a "modern transportation system"

Get ready for streetcar 2.0
And don't forget "smart growth," which is neither.

I hope we don't follow Austin down the road of ****ty infrastructure building.
aggie_fan13
AG
looks like we are headed that way, bunch of progressives want to turn us into wannabe austin.
spankfloyd
AG
so who did you vote for?
p_bubel
AG
Not Nimrodburg.
BoozerRed78
AG
I just hope they focus on what's important. For example, this crackdown on drunk drivers has got to stop. It just ain't right. Us drunks have rights, ya know. And those damned LED Christmas lights on the riverwalk. Get that crap outta there.
p_bubel
Actually, the LED lights on the Riverwalk are an abomination.
p_bubel
Well, that didn't take long.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/news_columnists/brian_chasnoff/article/New-push-to-relocate-Confederate-statue-11268216.php

Nothing ironic about this new push gaining traction after a black mayor dismissed it previously.

Nor the years of effort to get world heritage designation for the better known symbols of oppression and enslavement along the river.

It's going to be a fun mayoral term. Wonder if they'll come after the Alamo Cenotoph next?
bam02
AG
So stupid and condescending of them. Seriously, Taylor passed on doing something but you are gonna show us how virtuous you are?
Burdizzo
AG
A major part of the Alamo master plan is to move the cenotaph. Personally, I support moving it not because of the oppressive white invaders it honors but because it simply clashes with the site worse than the Wax Museum.
aggie_fan13
AG
I wish we could just blowup downtown and redo it, hate the way the streets are layed out
Burdizzo
AG
Ivy Taylor filed for unemployment benefits from the city after the election.

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Former-mayor-sought-unemployment-benefits-from-11882593.php

Wow. Just wow.
bam02
AG
Burdizzo said:

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Former-mayor-sought-unemployment-benefits-from-11882593.php

Wow. Just wow.

Such an idiotic and entitled thing to do. Surprises me of her.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Burdizzo said:

Wow. Just wow.

Just read that. Pretty embarrassing.
From the article...
Quote:

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said Thursday that he'd heard Taylor had filed a claim for unemployment benefits a first for him. He called Taylor's actions "really strange."

"I lost two races. I should have thought of that when I lost," Wolff joked.
GinaLinetti
AG
BoozerRed78 said:

My sources tell me that one of the agenda items for the next council meeting is a proposal to place the statue of a unicorn in Alamo Plaza.

Can we ride it? Cause that would be fun. I want a picture on a unicorn. But it needs to be Fiesta ready at all times. Which is the definition of a unicorn.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.