Mayoral Race in San Antonio

6,346 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GinaLinetti
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is Nirenberg's stance on sanctuary cities? I have looked and read, but he has not answered the question in any public forum I have found.
SW AG80
AG
TTT

Anyone?
LawHall88
AG
I don't know if he has addressed it directly, but he has said, in so many words, that he thinks the SAPD already has its hands full dealing with law enforcement without asking it to do the federal government's job as well, so I take that to mean he is opposed to Abbott's bill.

Quote:

One of the most talked about concerns is the idea of San Antonio becoming a sanctuary city.

None of the candidates in the debate stood up in support of the premise but they all had their own reasons why.

Mayor Ivy Taylor feels the city's Police force has to stay focused on their jobs and they don't have time to stop random people to ask about their immigration status.

City Councilman Ron Nirenberg says the city doesn't need another dictate from Austin or DC that is unfunded and unmanageable.
http://www.ktsa.com/mayoral-candidates-square-off-ktsa-2/
SW AG80
AG
Thanks
Burdizzo
AG
Speaking of unfunded mandates, I see there is talk of city funding legal expenses for some immigrants.
SW AG80
AG
That would not surprise me. City government in SA has become very liberal.
aggie_fan13
AG
SA will always be moderately liberal as long as idiots like the Castro brothers are around and people believe in their ideas
jgh85Ag
AG
Castro is endorsing Nirenberg. That should help you make up your mind.
SW AG80
AG
It absolutely did. Easy call now.
Burdizzo
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Castro is endorsing Nirenberg. That should help you make up your mind.

In another thread I mentioned I noticed a direct correlation between who had Hillary signs in the fall and who had Ron signs this spring.

I live in District 10. Surprising to me is that some of the more conservative voices in this district are supporting commie neckbeard Ezra Johnson because that angry conservative crackpot Carlton Soules is supporting Perry.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Castro just killed Nuremberg

Ivy it tis

La raza can eat a big fat deek

jgh85Ag
AG
Maybe that is his plan to get Ivy elected
p_bubel
jgh85Ag said:

Maybe that is his plan to get Ivy elected
That would imply that he is somewhat intelligent. He is not. Even my Democratic friends that know him fairly well just roll their eyes at the mention of the Castro name.
Terk
AG
Anyone think that the John Courage signs kinda look like USSR Cold War Propaganda posters?
aggie_fan13
AG
Lot of libs mad at Taylor over website. Nirenburg has a very punch able face
Danther37
AG
Not thrilled about the endorsement from Castro but Ron still has my vote.

Find it funny with this liberal smear campaign concocted by Ivy's campaign manager, a democrat, whereas Ron's is run by a republican.
Burdizzo
AG
In a place like San Antonio you don't have parties, you have factions that fight over how to spend the government money.
bam02
AG
Danther37 said:

Not thrilled about the endorsement from Castro but Ron still has my vote.

Find it funny with this liberal smear campaign concocted by Ivy's campaign manager, a democrat, whereas Ron's is run by a republican.

Yep the Castro brothers love Republicans.
aggie_fan13
AG
Asshat Julian Castro keeps pushing nirenburg. I think it's backfiring because Castro is hated so much. I think Taylor has this in the bag
Aggie_3
Police union endorsed Ivy on wednesday
TX AG 88
AG
I keep seeing where Ron is referred to as a "progressive" by such entities as The Current.

I think I'll be sticking with Ivy in the runoff. I don't trust 11th hour 180-degree changes in philosophy ahead of elections.
Burdizzo
AG
Ron Nirenberg keep trying vaguely paint her as corrupt, but all he ever comes up with is that ethics deal with her husband's company that came up after they had appointed her mayor to fill hoolians term.
treetop flyer
I've run into Ron in my professional life. I would vote none of the above before Ron. He's a career politician that would sell his soul for a vote. SA desperately needs to move to a four year mayoral election cycle. City council members start campaigning the day after an election is held.
LawHall88
AG
Hardberger just endorsed Nirenberg, and to the extent it matters I don't think Taylor did a stellar job on the river barge contract (although I don't think it will impact the race much, if at all). It's gonna be a tight race.
Burdizzo
AG
All the politicians that love to scratch each other's backs and spend money like drunken sailors are lining up behind Nirenberg, which is pretty much most of the people in/with power around town. East side has always been a stepchild and Taylor is still an outsider looking in. I think this will be a landslide for Nirenberg.
bam02
AG
I'm afraid I feel the same way.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Burdizzo said:

All the politicians that love to scratch each other's backs and spend money like drunken sailors are lining up behind Nirenberg, which is pretty much most of the people in/with power around town. East side has always been a stepchild and Taylor is still an outsider looking in. I think this will be a landslide for Nirenberg.
This is my San Antonio face. Sure hope you are wrong, but when it comes to cronyism, our leaders are some of the best.
Burdizzo
AG
I hope I am wrong too, but I got a bad feeling about this.
Burdizzo
AG
Ivy Taylor doesn't support the lawsuit against the state over the sanctuary cities bill. That is going to cost her some votes from people who probably were not voting for her anyway.
Jason C.
AG
District 10: Ezra Johnson is as liberal as they come. Hillary supporter since 2008 primary and completely progressive on every issue. Please don't give this guy a platform.
Secolobo
AG
The castro's and harburger (former sierra club lawyer) endorse Nirenberg. All you need to know...
Burdizzo
AG
Nirenberg it is.

100,000 votes cast in this race. Pathetic.
AgCat93
AG
Burdizzo said:

Nirenberg it is.

100,000 votes cast in this race. Pathetic.

Been that way for decades. 50,000+ determining policy for close to 2 million.
aggie_fan13
AG
Pathetic
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Embarrassing. I can only imagine the dollars per vote that was spent on this campaign.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.