Screened in porch

9,010 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a search and couldn't find anything.

We have a covered porch we have always wanted to screen in.

Its probably about as wide as the pic below (not as long) and this gives an idea of what I'm going for. Am I right in thinking this is a simple $400 diy with some basic framing and a screen kit?

tgivaughn
AG
Can advise further gratis if emailed with more "as built" house photos & address but $400 for whole tamale seems very light.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Dill-Ag13
AG
$400 is definitely light, I more mean a sub-$1000 project. Some pics below. I need to build a small deck for the grill and the kids have grown out of most of the other stuff junked back there.

jtp01
AG
Watching.

We are building right now and considering screening our back porch mainly to keep flies off of us. We'd need 3 "doors" in it but looking at logistics for that now.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Also building now. About to pull the trigger on porch windows that will allow for a more climate controlled area. We had thought about just going with screens but ultimately found a product we liked enough to gamble on. Will have to let the board here know how that part turns out!

dubi
AG
This job is much more labor intensive than you imagine. Mr Dubi has re-screened my mom's old porch and it was lots of work and the vertical 2x4's were only 2'-3' apart.

Found on google.
TikkaShooter
Screen porch owner here...

They are a BTCH to keep clean.

I'd highly recommend retractable screens so you can raise them up, grab the power washer or blower, and really get the place clean.

Once you "close in" the porch with screens, you now have another space - and a much more exposed space - that requires sweeping and or mopping to stay nice.

If I did it again... I dont think I would.
JR Ewing
AG
Just wrapping up mine...was a little bit higher than $400, but I think it was worth it.

Dill-Ag13
AG
That looks awesome. I priced mine out on screen-tight and it's in the neighborhood of $600
aTm2004
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Screen porch owner here...

They are a BTCH to keep clean.

I'd highly recommend retractable screens so you can raise them up, grab the power washer or blower, and really get the place clean.

Once you "close in" the porch with screens, you now have another space - and a much more exposed space - that requires sweeping and or mopping to stay nice.

If I did it again... I dont think I would.
This. Our house had a screened area built on and we ended up taking it down for a few reasons.

Primarily, as Tikka stated, it was very hard to keep clean. I'd pressure wash the concrete and push the water into the drain areas, and within a couple of months, you couldn't tell I had done anything. Black/green concrete and it made it to where we didn't want to really go into it.

When it was clean, we'd go out in it and try to enjoy it, but the airflow through it just wasn't that great, which is probably why it was always dirty/mildewy. Even on nice fall/spring days, it would get stuffy in there, and when we'd walk out of it, it felt like walking into the AC after walking from a parking lot in July.

We ended up taking the thing down a year or so ago and we've enjoyed the area much more since. Yeah, the bugs suck, but those can be mitigated in different ways.
JR Ewing
AG
Finally got her finished, except for the mantle, which needs to be stained and hung...
Diggity
AG
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why would it be so much harder to keep the OPs porch clean if it were screened in? Seems like it would be neutral at worst.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I want to do this to my porch, but it won't be indoor/outdoor; it will (after finish) be indoor. The windows will be single pane, however. Absent finding an air vent, I will put a small window unit out there. The windows will be half-height and the rest of the wall will be plywood/OSB with light insulation. The ground will be tiled. In the spring and fall I'd look forward to going out there every morning. It face east.

The porch already has roof covering and the house is on three sides. What is out there now is exterior siding that I want to remove and replace with drywall. However, there is a brick chimney that I won't do anything with (I hate paint on brick), but it does have a clean-out. I will just use that as needed. One of the reasons why I need to waste the siding is that it is on the ceiling and I need to move the ceiling fixtures (now lights) so I can put ceiling fans up. Where they are now, they are too close to the brick.

Anyone see any issue here? I'll probably slant the floor slightly toward the exterior door. The porch steps down from the house and there haven't been any flooding issues, so I'm not worried about water penetration into either the house or even the porch. However, I'll probably have a french drain put in outside the door.
10andBOUNCE
AG
What flooring did you use in there?
Looks awesome!
JR Ewing
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

What flooring did you use in there?
Looks awesome!

Exquisite Concrete here in BCS did a stain and stamp to look like wood. It is concrete, as I needed a way to make the entire porch consistent from the old concrete with the new concrete. I am pretty happy with how it turned out...the shininess will wear off a bit over time, but I like the idea of that...
Dill-Ag13
AG
That's amazing
txag2008
AG
Looks great!

It looks like it's entirely enclosed (obviously has doors) but don't seen any conditioning besides the ceiling fan. Do you have anything ducted in?
JR Ewing
AG
txag2008 said:

Looks great!

It looks like it's entirely enclosed (obviously has doors) but don't seen any conditioning besides the ceiling fan. Do you have anything ducted in?

No, entirely screened in, but no central A/C. If I ever decide I want to do it, I'd have Sunspace come out and look at Low E window options. The way the board and batten is at the top, I could very easily add a duct from the attic, and it is foam insulation on the other side of the board and batten, and my attic is there. I may consider this in 10-15 years when looking at a new A/C unit, but I'm enjoying as a screened in porch for now, and even with a heavy rain directly into it last week, it was super simple to dry up and only extended about a foot in, so everything else stayed dry, and as is, no bugs anywhere...here's another angle...
txag2008
AG
Ahh nice. I was thinking that was enclosed with windows, not screens
Sazerac
AG
That's very functional
Funky Winkerbean
AG
JR Ewing said:

txag2008 said:

Looks great!

No, entirely screened in, but no central A/C. If I ever decide I want to do it, I'd have Sunspace come out and look at Low E window options. The way the board and batten is at the top, I could very easily add a duct from the attic, and it is foam insulation on the other side of the board and batten, and my attic is there. I may consider this in 10-15 years when looking at a new A/C unit, but I'm enjoying as a screened in porch for now, and even with a heavy rain directly into it last week, it was super simple to dry up and only extended about a foot in, so everything else stayed dry, and as is, no bugs anywhere...here's another angle...

Username checks out.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Dill-Ag13
AG
Measured everything and priced it out. Final price to DIY including buying a $100 miter saw is $1,650. Going to use Screen Tight Screenwall. Will keep this thread updated with progress.
Diggity
AG
Is that a brand?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Yes. Most systems require a wooden porch structure or the installation of a wooden screening frame first. The screen wall is a 2-in-1 framing/screening system that I think will look more flush.

https://www.screentight.com/screening-systems/screen-wall/
ChrisMID23
I'm happy to speak with anyone interested in retractable screen systems. I represent a distributor/installer of MagnaTrack systems in Central Texas and our clients absolutely love them.

chris@shadeandmore.com
Dill-Ag13
AG
So it begins, got everything in and staged

Dill-Ag13
AG
Some late-night progress. Got one side almost done.

Diggity
AG
thanks for showing your progress.

I'm thinking of doing something similar (on a smaller scale).

Did you buy the Screen Tight branded door? I noticed on Lowe's that they have pretty mediocre reviews and was wondering if the system required you to use their brand of doors.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Yes I did and got it from Lowe's but only because that's the only place I could find one. From what I've seen, 90% of the bad reviews are related to the hinges. So if the hinges crap out I'll just buy new hinges.
Picard
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

The foundation of your house is awfully low
Diggity
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Yes I did and got it from Lowe's but only because that's the only place I could find one. From what I've seen, 90% of the bad reviews are related to the hinges. So if the hinges crap out I'll just buy new hinges.
cool. thanks for the feedback
Dill-Ag13
AG
Combination of not weed-wacking this weekend and about 300lbs of kid-sand swept off the patio over the past 4 years has that effect
Diggity
AG
where did you buy the materials from? Lowes & HD don't stock and the online options have pretty minimum order sizes.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Screen porch living. $1,050 shipped for the framing. Bought the screen roll (and screws) from Home Depot for ~$80 though as the screen tight brand was $330 or something asinine. There's a $100 off coupon code floating around too.

They wanted to charge me $440 to ship 10ft pieces on an oversized shipping surcharge. I ended up designing in a few extra cuts and ordering all 8ft pieces.
10andBOUNCE
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Also building now. About to pull the trigger on porch windows that will allow for a more climate controlled area. We had thought about just going with screens but ultimately found a product we liked enough to gamble on. Will have to let the board here know how that part turns out!

Updates from our build with the new porch windows in:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.