Screened in porch

9,005 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Screen porch living. $1,050 shipped for the framing. Bought the screen roll (and screws) from Home Depot for ~$80 though as the screen tight brand was $330 or something asinine. There's a $100 off coupon code floating around too.

They wanted to charge me $440 to ship 10ft pieces on an oversized shipping surcharge. I ended up designing in a few extra cuts and ordering all 8ft pieces.

Excellent info. That shipping is what killed it for me with them so good to know I can use 8' pieces and get that reduced.
MAS444
AG
Glad I'm not the only one. We spent a bunch of money on an addition that included a nice, large screened porch and we didn't use it near as much as we thought we would. And it was a PITA to keep somewhat clean.
Diggity
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Screen porch living. $1,050 shipped for the framing. Bought the screen roll (and screws) from Home Depot for ~$80 though as the screen tight brand was $330 or something asinine. There's a $100 off coupon code floating around too.

They wanted to charge me $440 to ship 10ft pieces on an oversized shipping surcharge. I ended up designing in a few extra cuts and ordering all 8ft pieces.
dug around the usual spots for this and couldn't find anything. You mind sharing?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Diggity said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

dug around the usual spots for this and couldn't find anything. You mind sharing?

Copy paste from an email I got:

Build Your Porch Paradise with a Special Discount

Use these codes at checkout to build your porch paradise:

$50 off purchases $500 or more: PORCHLIFE50

$100 off purchases $1,000 or more: PORCHLIFE100
Diggity
AG
You're a mensch
The Kraken
AG
Been debating removing our deck and adding in a large covered porch, a screened porch or going ahead and enclosing it with insulated walls and large windows and adding a mini split to cool.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Diggity
AG
How did the install go? Just started mine.
Dill-Ag13
AG
So my family got Covid so we didn't make any progress for about 2 weeks but I got her finished Friday night. Super easy, screening was tricky at first but got better/faster. All-in was about $1,300 (without the upcoming furniture purchases)!

Framing going up

Framing done

Action shot with my youngest

Screening done on one section (except above the door, saved that for last so I could get the header as flush as possible)

10pm finish on Friday

Morning pic hiding the mess with the lawn mowed!
Dill-Ag13
AG
Next up is to panel the ceiling and reroute electrical to have two ceiling fans instead of one. Will look something like this

Currently, single junk $40 ceiling fan and hardie board
agz win
AG
Looks great and professionally done. Good job.
Diggity
AG
Looks great!

Any tips for installing the screen mesh? That's my next step and I'm a bit nervous about getting it taut enough.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Screening was EASY. I was nervous about it too but everything worked out perfect with a few very minor mistakes no one else would notice without looking closely.

I did the top first, my wife held up one side while I got it all level/square and got the spline started, then I did one side then the bottom then the other side.

Don't buy the Screen Tight screen, I bought a huge roll at Home Depot for about 1/4 the price.
Diggity
AG
I did the same with regards to the screening material.

Thanks again for all of your advice.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Welcome! Can't wait to see progress pics!
Diggity
AG
Like I said, much smaller job for me About 15' wide

This was last week.

Installed the door today, but need to paint it.

Waiting on the horizontal pieces to come in. I ended up with too many perimeter pieces and not enough of the horizontals, which was annoying, but I'll get it finished eventually
Dill-Ag13
AG
That's awesome-looking, you'll be done in no time!
ChoppinDs40
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Also building now. About to pull the trigger on porch windows that will allow for a more climate controlled area. We had thought about just going with screens but ultimately found a product we liked enough to gamble on. Will have to let the board here know how that part turns out!

Updates from our build with the new porch windows in:

Do those fold down?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Yeah, fold up and down.
Diggity
AG
Project complete.

Thanks for the inspiration and advice Dill.

My wife was a bit skeptical but she bought in totally and was an excellent helper.

Dill-Ag13
AG
That makes me so happy. Nice job and great pics!
Dill-Ag13
AG
Update.

Got the one center-mounted ceiling fan ripped out and two new spots wired up for better coverage. Had to go into the attic wayyyy back in the house which wasn't fun. Ran a wire down the wall for a switched outlet too.

To do:
-T1 8oc siding stained and trimmed to the roof over the hardie
-Add string lights to ceiling/tray

Some pics, all furniture is IKEA (down to the rugs and the clock). We really like it and it tends to be 5/8ths scale so it fits well

Dill-Ag13
AG
Finally finished. When I started in August I told my wife I'd be done by Thanksgiving… barely made it.

By far the biggest pain point was screwing siding into the ceiling. I treated it with polyurethane sealant and then used deck screws to fasten it into the joists. I followed that up with a Brad nailer to tighten up any sagging spots, pleased with how it came out. Followed that up with painting the Hardie trim white and getting rid of the gross "cream of chicken" color that was there before.

I definitely should've done the ceiling first, and would've ripped out all the hardie and started from scratch if I could have.

Ignore the rotten fence that I've got on the books to replace…

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.