Rolling Driveway Gate (pic heavy)

18,677 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GrandStand93
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to share some progress on a sliding gate project I've been building. Had a few neighbors that added one to their driveways, and it really opens up their yards. We've wanted one, but have a short, wide, driveway, so the gate is pretty long (34' opening, 38' frame). I've mulled it over for some time and finally decided how I wanted to build it.

I went ahead and got a bid on the frame, but wasn't happy with the design or cost. So I decided to learn how to weld, which is an area I've wanted to grow in for a while. Due to the length of the gate and the wind in our area, I went ahead and beefed up the frame design vs what my neighbor's. ETA - Here's the sketch, with updates

Welding the first half:

Lining up the two halves:

Boxing the frame in:

Finishing up the welds:

Fully primed:

Showing off some welds:

Very redneck post-pulling method for old fence, but it works:

Support and catch fab wrapping up (on it's side). You can see the guide rollers where it keeps the gate upright:

Whitetail
AG
Wow, that thing is a beast. Cool project.
aggieactor01
AG
Impressive!
akaggie05
AG
The floor jack post puller. Holy *****
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Beats a hi-lift jack! Definitely funny, but man did it pull them out consistently and smoothly.
Builder93
AG
Love the ingenuity. Good job. Who knew pipe wrenches were so multifunctional.
ABATTBQ11
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Beats a hi-lift jack! Definitely funny, but man did it pull them out consistently and smoothly.

I've done similar with wooden posts. If it works, it works.

Mine was a class 2 lever to keep it away from the concrete bases though. I drilled through the post and put a lag bolt through it and a 2x4 on either side. I used a stack of concrete blocks on one side as a fulcrum and pushed up on the 2x4's with the jack on the other side.
WheelinAg
AG
Ambitious 1st welding project! Is this going to have wheels on the end?
AgsMnn
AG
Make sure you close your garage door.

Couple mil worth of wood sitting there.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Sort of, you can see the wheels on the bottom of the gate in the diagram and one of the photos. They're not at the ends, but this will help spread out the load and help with wind deflection performance. Here's the track and wheel:

Here's the result of a weekend's worth of work. Getting set up to pour the slab for the gate to slide on. It was no fun digging this out by shovel.

JeepWaveEarl
AG
You want to make another one, by chance? I need exactly this for my place. Have dimensions
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Dang, very flattering if serious, but no, just from a time standpoint. Plus, I imagine it'd be a nightmare to ship anywhere. I've really enjoyed doing it though and it would be fun to have a shop and work it on the side.
AgAcGuy12
AG
Sure looks like Lubbock Texas to me! Poor guy! Just what is the gate going to do? It's going to open your backyard to the alley or close off your parking spot to the alley?

We lived in Lubbock for a few years and two things I loved about it were the communal dumpsters in the alley and the mile grid street network. But I could be wrong on your location, just looks a lot like Lubbock.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Close

The idea is to open up the backyard and driveway into one space. It's got some other minor benefits, and the security when parking in the rear entry driveway will be nice, but backyard space is the main driver.
AgCWby90CS
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Close - Amarillo.

The idea is to open up the backyard and driveway into one space. It's got some other minor benefits, and the security when parking in the rear entry driveway will be nice, but backyard space is the main driver.
Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished project.
CWby '90
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Updates for today - supports and posts are in place. Next step is to use a compactor, lay down sand, then form up! Will be pouring concrete next Saturday.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
It's pour day! Glad to be almost done with this part. It was a nail-biter if I was gonna get everything ready last night.
Dr.Rumack
None of these pics seem to have the neighbors' wives in them? Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture.

Every time I go to Harbor Freight I half load up the cart with $1k worth of welding starter gear and then leave it in the middle of an aisle. Seems like it would be a fun and rewarding skill to add to the repertoire (sp?)
OldArmyBrent
AG
I should have hired you instead of that idiot who took 8 weeks to do a "2-3 day" job.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I don't think there's anyway someone could do this job in 2-3 days and do it right. Fab of the gate alone would take a few days, even if you were going at it full time. Granted, I'm doing this by myself in my spare time outside of my day job, but still.

Dr.Rumack - just go for it. It's a lot of fun, and makes me think about how to do things differently on future projects.
OldArmyBrent
AG
I told the guy it was a two week job, but he insisted 2-3 days. Should have pulled the plug then. Of course, I also made them take down and redo the fence once because it was in the wrong place.
File5
AG
This looks amazing, and good clean welds too. The argument for space got me thinking, sliding gates are basically just like big ole pocket doors... Don't know why but that's funny!

Any chance you could put some more pictures of your garage organization? I'm about to do an organization on my garage and yours is inspiring to say the least!

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Thanks!

Here's a few, some of these I've posted here before. Let me know if you have any questions:
A couple things you can't see - around that corner, I've got a utility sink and a set of filing cabinets (for filing sandpaper, saw blades, etc. I've also got a cubby for a future dust collector for the miter saw.

Inside of the shed where I keep my air compressor and big tools. Getting the air compressor in particular out of the garage has been awesome for noise and space. This shed is adjacent to the back corner of the garage.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
On gate related updates - I got the supports painted last night (second coat). We had a sudden storm cell build nearby and it just drizzled a little bit on us. The paint is oil based enamel and it was still a little tacky. It repelled the water really well, but I hope it doesn't affect the performance of the paint too bad in the future.
Sea Speed
AG
Isn't it a PITA to wheen that table saw in and out for each use?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Meh, somewhat; it's all concrete and I upgraded the casters, so not a huge deal to roll out. We keep a couple of strollers in the garage right now - once the kids are old enough, I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger table saw set-up, but I'll keep the jointer and bandsaw in the shed.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Feast your eyes! I am so pleased with how well the gate moves, and all the measuring/final fit. Next step is to paint the gate frame black, and then to start installing the wood for the fence and gate. I'm probably going to go get a 10x20 fabric carport to use as a paint booth for the gate and spray it in halves.

Concrete:

Gate in position!:
Sea Speed
AG
My garage is nothing but kids stuff now. Can't get to the table saw or bandsaw without moving 15 things
HelotesAg
AG
Looks great! How many people did it take to lift that beast into place? I can imagine that was fun.
12th Man Ag
AG
That gate doesn't seem to offer a lot of security!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I used a forklift to get it set, which was a good call.

I've flipped it a couple times for welding access, and the last time I had 6 other guys help. Glad I didn't have to do that to get it on the track.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Lots of updates to share. Really excited for how the fence is looking:

Getting the paint booth set up (Really glad I did, multiple days with sudden rainy weather):

Paint booth in action:

Starting to install the wood:

Progress by end of tonight:

Other side:

Next steps will be to add the catch on the other end of the gate, fill in the concrete, and then start working on replacing fencing all around.
12th Man Ag
AG
Looking great!
Sea Speed
AG
Very impressed brother.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Some weekend updates. Got the motor installed. The gate moves really well and is so quiet, which is nice. Set up and poured my second corner of the driveway, which is one the last items I needed to start working on the remainder of the fence. Thanks all for the comments/reviews.

Motor (wiring is just temporary):

Concrete set to pour:

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.