Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Home Generator

5,732 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else curiously shopping right now? I figure since I'm in the middle of a remodel, now would be the time to purchase one. I realize this cold weather isn't super common, but I'd think it would provide a greater peace of mind during hurricane season.

Anybody already have one in their home? Brand? Size? How did you calculate for how much power you need?
6.5 Swede
The first step is to analyze your needs, power one room with a window AC / space heater or whole home with limited interruption of service. Price and complexity go up considerably.

2nd is fuel source and duration. Refilling with gas for a few days or do you want weeks? Main other choices are propane, natural gas, or diesel. Most convenient is Nat gas, but it can be unreliable. Propane is rediably available but has less energy content and you will need more for longer use. Diesel is the best option for long duration.

Lastly is brand. Generac is by far the most well known reliable brand for home, business or industrial that can provide all options above. But they are not the only one as Honda, Kohler, Cummins and Cat have stellar reputations.

6.5 Swede
Homedepot has general sizing guidelines of what different appliances use. I got a new 3800 Honda for super cheap and plug it in to my RV outlet or dryer receptacle to power my home. I'm on propane so it runs both blowers and keeps my home toasty. In summer I can run up or down HVAC with no problem.

Generator super center can guide you and give you a sales pitch.

Pabby
AG
Similar questions over here regarding a gasoline powered portable generator. Not looking for a whole home natural gas powered generator. Curious what you would be able to run in an event you are without power for an extended time that would make it worth your while.
6.5 Swede
Just make sure you do it right. My neighbor bought a broke diesel 16kW generator for cheap, repaired it, installed 100 gal tank and auto start to his main panel.

Left during Ike and it kicked on, but the main was still connected to his service and he powered half a block!!!

I wasn't worried as it ran out of fuel before the power company electricians showed up.
vmiaptetr
AG
I'm looking at a Generac 24kW with the auto start thing to run on LP. It's around $5400 at Lowe's. I'm really curious what the installation cost might be. Should I expect double?
AggieOO
your home remodel will likely be LONG done before you will ever be able to get a generator on-site. The lead times are going to be crazy for a long time. I've seen that they were already long before this.
Mission Ranch AG
AG
When we built our house last year, we installed a 22kw Generac generator. Our house is about 3100 sf. The generator has run between 12-15 hours everyday this week and has powered everything in our home with no issues. It is powered with natural gas and fortunately, we have not had any issues with gas supply. I check the oil in it everyday. Total cost turnkey was about $12k. When we lose power, it takes about 10 seconds for the generator power to get everything powered back up. If you have a centralized audio video closet and decide to install a generator, you may want to add a small ups to eliminate any power surges to your equipment.
mt3950
AG
msechelski said:

I'm looking at a Generac 24kW with the auto start thing to run on LP. It's around $5400 at Lowe's. I'm really curious what the installation cost might be. Should I expect double?

At least double. Probably around 12k total.
bayouaggie
AG
Copying my note from the Generators thread on F16 yesterday with a few adds:

I was all in for right at $13k in the Woodlands on a 24kW Generac nat gas generator (just installed in January - guess who wins the best timing award). I needed two transfer switches because my builder installed two main electrical breaker panels due to house size so that added about $1500 you might not need. The 24kW was new this year but it's basically the same as the 22kW unit but tuned for higher output (was only $500 more than 22kW so at this point I took the one with more power). This is the largest air cooled system Generac makes. Going to liquid cooled for more power will put you over $20k.

I used Grasten Power Systems out of Conroe and highly recommend them. The guys did a great job and were awesome to deal with. They took care of the meter upgrade with Centerpoint and everything. I ordered my unit in October and had to wait roughly 10 weeks for delivery at that time. No telling what lead times are now.

Happy to answer any questions you might have. It kicks on within 5 sec of power outage, and has run like a champ for more than 45 hours this week. Check oil and top off after 24 hours run time.
TXTransplant
I'm in The Woodlands, too. Friend/neighbor has gotten a quote this week for $8k. I haven't seen the details, though.

How big is your house? I'm right at 2300 sq ft. I'm hoping my smaller size will save me some $.
bayouaggie
AG
My house is 4200sqft. The 24kW can cover everything since I have all gas appliances. You could probably save some money with a smaller unit 16/18/20kW. Primary driver will likely be one AC vs. two AC units. They installed load shed modules on mine, so if I push the limits, it will trip upstairs AC instead of shutting down entire unit.
TXTransplant
bayouaggie said:

My house is 4200sqft. The 24kW can cover everything since I have all gas appliances. You could probably save some money with a smaller unit 16/18/20kW. Primary driver will likely be one AC vs. two AC units. They installed load shed modules on mine, so if I push the limits, it will trip upstairs AC instead of shutting down entire unit.

Only have one A/C unit. And no pool. Furnace, stove, and water heater are gas.

Only other factor is I've been toying with the idea of a move when my son graduates in a couple of years. If I invest in a generator, it will lock me into this house.
Johnny04
I'll be looking into what it would take to power the electrical for my gas furnace. Running the thermostat, relays, and fan shouldn't require that big of a generator.
FatZilla
AG
Johnny04 said:

I'll be looking into what it would take to power the electrical for my gas furnace. Running the thermostat, relays, and fan shouldn't require that big of a generator.

Keep your AC in mind too. Summer power outages with no ac suck just as bad.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Johnny04
Yup, just ordered a small window unit this morning. The generator I already have should be enough, just need to figure out how to make the connection to the furnace while bypassing the grid. Not sure if its a simple plug or what.
vmiaptetr
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm in The Woodlands, too. Friend/neighbor has gotten a quote this week for $8k. I haven't seen the details, though.

How big is your house? I'm right at 2300 sq ft. I'm hoping my smaller size will save me some $.
Yeah. My house is not big. About 2200 sq ft. LP tankless water heater, LP central heat, LP stove top, electric ovens, electric washer/dryer, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, and 4 ton AC. 24kW is probably over kill. Whatever I get, if I lose power, I want everything to keep running without skipping a beat.
LostInLA07
AG
Just requested a bunch of quotes. Cant wait to see the lead time.
htxag09
AG
The other option is to have an electrician add a back feed outlet to your breaker. You can do it yourself, just needs to be done to code. You have a few options here. You can install a new breaker and basically preselect what outlets will be powered. Or you can wire it into your current panel and manually select which circuits get power. You also have to have a switch for code reasons so you can't backfeed the circuit. You can get an automatic or manual one.

When I lose power, I take out my portable gas generator, get it running, plug it into the breaker box, turn off the supply from the grid, turn off the breakers I'm not going to power, and turn on the supply from my generator.

It's a little more work and won't power the whole house but was $400 (I already had the generators for tailgating and the rv) vs $12,000.

I have two 2,000 starting watt generators I combine for a total of 4,000 watts. I power all lights, outlets, fans, etc in my house with it and haven't had any issues. That includes refrigerator, freezer, wine fridge, TVs, everything. The only thing I don't power are the ac, dishwasher, oven, and washer and dryer. It will send power to the ac to control my gas furnace though. Also has handled space heaters and a portable ac no problem.

Also, since I just plug in a portable generator I can upgrade the generator at anytime. So I could buy a generator large enough to power everything if wanted.
dodger02
AG
Today, I bought two Honda EU2200i units to do exactly this. I found two in stock.

I live in CTX and don't expect anything like this to occur again (duration, conditions, etc) so I'm not dropping $15k on a whole home unit. But I'd be soooo much happier with a space heater, hot coffee, and some lights at night. Plus, with two 2200s, I have the flexibility for tailgating, RVing/camping, and deer lease work.
mt3950
AG
I'm planning to buy a large-ish portable generator (8-10k kW) and install a transfer switch. My main objective will be to power the downstairs AC and heating, microwave, coffee pot, TVs, internet, fans, fridge/freezer, and kitchen outlets for charging computers, phones, etc.

For those that have done it, is 8-10k kW large enough for all of that at once, and if so do you guys have a brand preference you've had good experience with?
htxag09
AG
Completely depends on the size ac unit, but probably not. Starting watts required for central ac are pretty crazy high. Maybe with a hard start kit?

Most generators have charts with average watts required for common appliances. You can google it to find them. I'd ditch the idea of running the ac and plan to get a portable ac if needed.
mt3950
AG
Thanks for the input...downstairs unit is 5ton. Heater is gas, but the air distribution unit is electric, and doesn't require much energy to use, so not too concerned about the heater.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, it'd definitely handle the heat portion. I wouldn't count on being able to run a 5 ton ac unit.
AgProgrammer
AG
Look at the breaker size for your A/C. I'm guessing it's a 50 or 60 amp double. 50 amps @ 220v is 11,000 watts so that's what an equivalent "starting amps" genset would need. You would also have to consider and deduct any other appliances from your available watts that would also be running at the same time. A fridge and freezer spikes up to about 1,500 watts when they kick on but then drop down a bit.
Who?mikejones!
msechelski said:

Anyone else curiously shopping right now? I figure since I'm in the middle of a remodel, now would be the time to purchase one. I realize this cold weather isn't super common, but I'd think it would provide a greater peace of mind during hurricane season.

Anybody already have one in their home? Brand? Size? How did you calculate for how much power you need?

May be best to just prep for one now and add it when you decide it's necessary.

Ie- dont overreact to a once in a lifetime storm if your emergy is otherwise mostly stable.
agcivengineer
AG
Did you do this yourself? This is what i was thinking id like to do. If so, id love your help with it if your willing.
htxag09
AG
I didn't. I had an electrician. I think I could have but i hired someone to mainly deal with permits and being up to code. I did assist him so could help depending on the question.....
jaggiemaggie
AG
I'm planning on this generator when things slow down
vmiaptetr
AG
AggieOO said:

your home remodel will likely be LONG done before you will ever be able to get a generator on-site. The lead times are going to be crazy for a long time. I've seen that they were already long before this.
Told my builder which one I wanted. He told me there was a 4-6 month lead time right now.
TXTransplant
I've put in two or three requests for quotes. Haven't heard a thing back from anyone I contacted. Not hopeful I can get one before hurricane season.
vmiaptetr
AG
Well, I'm on the list for the 24 kW Generac with transfer switch. Going to run it on LP. Probably upgrade my LP tank to a 500 gallon one.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
msechelski said:

Well, I'm on the list for the 24 kW Generac with transfer switch. Going to run it on LP. Probably upgrade my LP tank to a 500 gallon one.
At about 4.3 gal/hr I'd upsize too.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I take out my portable gas generator, get it running, plug it into the breaker box, turn off the supply from the grid, turn off the breakers I'm not going to power, and turn on the supply from my generator.

How exactly do you do this?

I'm assuming you have to have some sort of plug-in at the panel, right?

Is it legal for the homeowner to turn off the power coming into the house? Is it safe? Assuming both are yes, where do you do that? Do most/all houses have that ability?

To me, while I'll probably install a whole house system at my next house, if I can do this (even with a modification to my current panel), this is the way I'd go now due to the infrequency of power outages. Even last week, if we could have only been down for a few hours at a time, it would have been OK.
slavy06
AG
I just had this done where I had an interlock installed on my main panel along with a separate plug outside where I hook up the generator to provide power to my panel. The mechanical interlock doesn't allow me to turn the breaker on from my generator until I turn off the main breaker from the rest of the grid.

Basically it's turn off all individual breakers, turn off main, crank up generator and plug it in outside, lift up interlock panel, flip on the breaker from the generator and then flip on whichever circuits in the house I want the generator to power up.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.