What Drill Should I Buy On Black Friday

5,983 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 6.5 Swede
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dubi said:

bco2003 said:

Love my Ridgid driver and impact drill. Bought them for the warranty (which includes the batteries) 10 years ago but probably will never have to file a claim.
All the Ridgid tools we purchased in '03 to renovate a house have broken and been replaced for FREE. All the batteries were replaced at least once.

The Ridgid warranty is gold!

Wow, y'all are a lot harder on tools than I am! Although, my use is very infrequent and light.

How did the battery replacement work? I'm doubting the batteries held some working charge, but under x amount of time or something?
evan_aggie
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

FWIW, I purchased the Makita package and am very happy. It puts my old DeWalts to shame.

Makita user here, and have slowly expanded my tool collection...nothing bad to say at all. Started out with a gifted 2x18v lxt leaf blower, chainsaw, and then added a hedge cutter, multi tool (this is great!), circular saw, and most recently a x14z impact driver.

dubi
AG
Quote:

Wow, y'all are a lot harder on tools than I am! Although, my use is very infrequent and light.

How did the battery replacement work? I'm doubting the batteries held some working charge, but under x amount of time or something?

We gutted and updated 2 houses in a 8 year period. That pretty well did in the power tools.

The batteries essentially quit charging and you used to be able to bring them into Home Depot and they would give you another. Now you may have to have them mailed in for replacement....not sure. We had so many batteries that it really didn't matter if there was a delay in replacement.
rilloaggie
AG

Figured I would bump this based on some news I got regarding my Rigid drill today.

I purchased a Rigid 18v hammer drill in 2011 when I was working in fire protection. I used the heck out of it (lots of 2' holes drilled in 16ga stainless, 1000's of holes drilled in concrete) until about 2014 when I finished up school and got a fancy job with air conditioning and collared shirts!

I kept the drill for general homeowner use since then (I am probably a little heavier on the DIY stuff than most) but it started having issues with the trigger not starting the drill a few months ago. Finally just stopped working all together. I took it to a tool repair place (Empire Tools in Houston) that was able to look up the warranty info. Dropped the drill off for repair but found out today that they can't get parts to fix it... so now Rigid is mailing me a brand new hammer drill. I used Milwaukee drills in the past, and they are top notch, but they didn't replace a 4 year old drill that stopped working on me when I was in college using it heavily. I have to tip my hat to a company that will stand behind a 10 year old tool!
Gary79Ag
AG
rilloaggie said:

Figured I would bump this based on some news I got regarding my Rigid drill today.

I purchased a Rigid 18v hammer drill in 2011 when I was working in fire protection. I used the heck out of it (lots of 2' holes drilled in 16ga stainless, 1000's of holes drilled in concrete) until about 2014 when I finished up school and got a fancy job with air conditioning and collared shirts!

I kept the drill for general homeowner use since then (I am probably a little heavier on the DIY stuff than most) but it started having issues with the trigger not starting the drill a few months ago. Finally just stopped working all together. I took it to a tool repair place (Empire Tools in Houston) that was able to look up the warranty info. Dropped the drill off for repair but found out today that they can't get parts to fix it... so now Rigid is mailing me a brand new hammer drill. I used Milwaukee drills in the past, and they are top notch, but they didn't replace a 4 year old drill that stopped working on me when I was in college using it heavily. I have to tip my hat to a company that will stand behind a 10 year old tool!
Blue star for Rigid tools and their stance behind their products!
6.5 Swede
Walk to the petrochem tool room and ask for a 1" cordless impact and a "1 13/16" socket to remove nuts and studs from a 13" 2500 lb flange and it will be a greasy beat up Milwaukee 2867.

Or to cut pipe or trim bolts or drive anchor bolts or...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.