What Drill Should I Buy On Black Friday

5,978 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 6.5 Swede
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've lived in the Dewalt 18-volt NiCd world for the past 8 years. However, my 18-volt batteries have seen their better days and it's time for an upgrade.

For reference, I'm looking primarily for a drill and impact driver. I've looked at Bosch, Makita, and Dewalt, but am still undecided. Let me hear you opinions.
Guitarsoup
AG
Do you have lots of Dewalt stuff?

If you aren't married into Dewalt, I would get this kit if you are just your average homeowner. Even for that, it is probably overkill.

[url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-w-2-Batteries-Bag-2598-22/303101201?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-483420-&clickid=3nGzT90k%3AxyOWknwUx0Mo3cmUkn3kg0oKVYg1I0]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-w-2-Batteries-Bag-2598-22/303101201[/url]
chickencoupe16
AG
You can't go wrong with either Milwaukee, Makita, or Dewalt. I've had terrible luck with Dewalt batteries, but YMMV. I prefer Milwaukee and they seem to have the most options as far as different tools.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Drills/drivers are my only battery powered tools. Beyond that, I have misch/mash of Bosh, Makita, Porter Cable, and Dewalt corded tools (sawzall, jig saw, sander, multi-tool). All have performed exceptionally.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I am a fan of Milwaukee drills. I recommend you also take a look at Ridgid (Home Depot) simply for the warranty. The tools are very good and the warranty is amazing. I have quite a few Ridgid tools, and they have performed very well.
UmustBKidding
Rigid.
But I think there are adapters to run the DeWalt 18v units with the 20v lipo packs to preserve your investment.
JP76
Home Depot is running a Ridgid drill and impact drill, 2 - 2ah batteries and charger for $129 starting tomorrow. I've had 2 of the same sets for 6 and 7 years now used pretty much daily and they have been great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-R9205/206127587

Only downside is the battery is a little small but they make a 4 Ah version setup for $199 but it does make the drills bulkier if you are using them heavily. Make sure you register the warranty online before the 90 day deadline.
TMoney2007
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Drills/drivers are my only battery powered tools. Beyond that, I have misch/mash of Bosh, Makita, Porter Cable, and Dewalt corded tools (sawzall, jig saw, sander, multi-tool). All have performed exceptionally.
I would start going with Milwaukee or Dewalt as you buy new tools. I have Dewalt because the people I was working with when I started buying tools had Dewalt.

Milwaukee has a really great line of 12V and 20V tools, but either brand will have pretty much any tool you would be looking for and in a pretty high quality.

This is a pretty good deal for a Dewalt set.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13635319-dewalt-dck299d1t1-flexvolt-60v-max-20v-max-lithium-ion-xr-brushless-hammerdrill-and-impact-combo-kit-for-234?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
Builder93
AG
Makita are the best made of the ones mentioned and they have some good promotions now. Like 2 extra batteries with a kit.
Austintm
Agree on Makita
Marvin_Zindler
AG
This is the Makita kit I'm kicking around:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18V-LXT-Brushless-2-Piece-Combo-Kit-with-Bonus-18V-LXT-5-0Ah-Battery-2-Pack-and-18V-LXT-Brushless-6-1-2-in-Circ-Saw-XT268T1850XSH04/311009931

Thoughts? Of all of my tools, my circular saw is by far the oldest (OG craftsman) but also often used.
BrazosDog02
AG
I switched completely over to Milwaukee Fuel. I bought sets of 12V and 18V drills and impacts along with various tools as needed. For what it's worth, my M12 Fuel impact driver runs circles around my DeWalt 20V driver. It's noticeable stronger and faster driving 3" deck screws, for instance. I've been really happy with my Milwaukee tools in general.
Guitarsoup
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I switched completely over to Milwaukee Fuel. I bought sets of 12V and 18V drills and impacts along with various tools as needed. For what it's worth, my M12 Fuel impact driver runs circles around my DeWalt 20V driver. It's noticeable stronger and faster driving 3" deck screws, for instance. I've been really happy with my Milwaukee tools in general.
Same. I have an assortment of M12 and M18, but M12 is my go to. Light, easy to handle, and have tons of power.
Waterski02
AG
More general around the house use you can't go wrong with any. Personally I have had M12 for 6-7 years, have killed one battery, and no tools. The selection is great and in my limited DeWalt vs Milwaukee project I used 1 M12 batt to co-workers 3 DeWalt lion 12.

The newer fuel stuff is even better. Makita makes good stuff too, but has had slipping market share for some reason I can't speak to.
Builder93
AG
Makita only makes tools. They are not owned by a conglomerate. The other companies cheat on specifications. DeWalt 20v is actually 18v The key is the way they put "max" after the 20v. All 18v batteries are 20v max. They were also the pioneers in brushless tools. I have found that their batteries last longer than any others I have owned.
beatlesphan
AG
About a year ago I moved into a stucco house and have had to do quite a bit of drilling into the outdoor walls...after being disappointed by my old 12V Ryobi and a new 20V DeWalt, I bought the most powerful Makita 18V hammer drill I could find. It is a BEAST. Also got a Makita impact driver and am super happy with both.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'm drifting to Makita.......
beatlesphan
AG
OP that drill/impact driver combo that you posted from HD is the combo I have. Again, that drill has handled everything I have thrown at it short of jobs that are more appropriate for a rotary hammer. 3/8" pilot holes in 3" of concrete on the hammer drill setting are no sweat. IMO you will not be disappointed with those tools.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I have all DeWalt, but if I went back and did it again I'd get rigid.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://beavertools.com/707212-jet-12-sliding-dual-bevel-compound-miter-saw.html

I picked up the JET 12" Miter Saw for $400, no tax, free shipping.
TMoney2007
AG
Builder93 said:

Makita only makes tools. They are not owned by a conglomerate. The other companies cheat on specifications. DeWalt 20v is actually 18v The key is the way they put "max" after the 20v. All 18v batteries are 20v max. They were also the pioneers in brushless tools. I have found that their batteries last longer than any others I have owned.
That's not actually cheating at all...
bco2003
AG
Love my Ridgid driver and impact drill. Bought them for the warranty (which includes the batteries) 10 years ago but probably will never have to file a claim.
RedCrackerAg12
AG
I'm a fireman, and have a few part time jobs that require a good set of power tools. I have the M18 Fuel series with Milwaukee. Not only are these tools durable, but the kits that are available really are surprisingly useful, even for the weekend handyman. Milwaukee's line of tools has also outperformed anything that I have used previously with DeWalt, and are sure to live longer than Makita and Rigid, no disrespect to those who choose those brands.
Builder93
AG
RedCrackerAg12 said:

I'm a fireman, and have a few part time jobs that require a good set of power tools. I have the M18 Fuel series with Milwaukee. Not only are these tools durable, but the kits that are available really are surprisingly useful, even for the weekend handyman. Milwaukee's line of tools has also outperformed anything that I have used previously with DeWalt, and are sure to live longer than Makita and Rigid, no disrespect to those who choose those brands.
Wow, that seems to be based on lots of empirical data and experience with both tool brands. You know Milwaukee is owned and made in China now?
FC12
Roll the $$ and buy Hilti. Yes, I work for Hilti on the engineering side.
aggolfer
AG
Builder93 said:

RedCrackerAg12 said:

Wow, that seems to be based on lots of empirical data and experience with both tool brands. You know Milwaukee is owned and made in China now?
Milwaukee and Rigid are both made in China FWIW.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/43632/
Aggie1205
AG
Builder93 said:

RedCrackerAg12 said:

All of the tool majors make most of their tools in China. They all have some US assembly and most make some of their accessories in the US. But the vast majority of any component in any of the tools is from China.

Heck Dewalt (Stanley Black and Decker) was one of the biggest reasons that others followed suit and moved manufacturing overseas. The leadership team at TTI (Milwaukee, Ryobi, Rigid(Home Depot skus), Homelite, Hart, etc) are mostly former SB&D guys.
TMoney2007
AG
Builder93 said:

RedCrackerAg12 said:

Meh. Who cares at this point?

Most of the big names that make contractor grade tools are going to be similar quality.

You're not going to get significantly better until you start getting into something like Hilti.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
FWIW, I purchased the Makita package and am very happy. It puts my old DeWalts to shame.
aggieforester05
AG
I've been a long time Porter Cable 20V lithium user and my equipment sees a lot of use. I've had decent luck with it, but I've killed one regular drill (employee used it and it burned up), a hammer drill that the chuck froze up, and a sawzall that stopped sawing. Other than that I've got the complete set minus the nail gun and flashlight. Everything else still works and has for years. All eight of my batteries still work. some of which are least five years old.

That being said, I'm building a Milwaukee M12 set right now. I bought a black Friday 1/2" M18 impact and 3/8" M12 ratchet combo set and I really like the M12 form factor. So I ordered another kit today that includes the flashlight, oscillating saw, drill, 1/4" impact driver, hacksaw, charger, and three batteries, all M12. I'm probably going to order the 3/8" impact and bandsaw later. This won't replace my Porter Cable set, but will compliment it and be used for more garage mechanic work vs the home building focus of my porter cable set.

ETA: The Bosch 1/4" impact driver demo they had a Lowe's was probably the highest quality feeling battery power tool I've ever used, but it was about $250 for just the single tool and a battery.
JuCo CH46
Ridgid power tools (Home Depot) are private label (TTI). Ridgid is owned by Emerson (not TTI) which is an America based company just like Ridgid. The main parts of the professional line you find in a tool house or plumbing distributer is still made in USA. Big difference in product you find in HD vs. a professional trades distributor.
Builder93
AG
TMoney2007 said:

Builder93 said:

RedCrackerAg12 said:

Most of the big names that make contractor grade tools are going to be similar quality.

You're not going to get significantly better until you start getting into something like Hilti.
I agree in general, but I think Makita overall is a notch above the rest in quality. Especially in the battery department.
TMoney2007
AG
Builder93 said:

TMoney2007 said:

Builder93 said:

RedCrackerAg12 said:

I agree in general, but I think Makita overall is a notch above the rest in quality. Especially in the battery department.
Hundreds of thousands of hours of construction labor get accomplished with Dewalt and Milwaukee just fine. If makita was appreciably better, I would expect to see way more of them on jobsites. They're the ones that I'm going to pay attention to.

Your personal experience and opinion doesn't actually make them any better. If American ownership is important, makita is really the only option, but "it's just a little better" is what fans of red, yellow or green like to say when they're being reasonable.

Some brands have tools others don't and some specific tools are better than the counterparts versions, but on average, across the main tools in the lines, they're really comparable. One person having issues with a couple batteries one time doesn't move statistical failure rates... but it will usually affect that one person's opinion.
dubi
AG
bco2003 said:

Love my Ridgid driver and impact drill. Bought them for the warranty (which includes the batteries) 10 years ago but probably will never have to file a claim.
All the Ridgid tools we purchased in '03 to renovate a house have broken and been replaced for FREE. All the batteries were replaced at least once.

The Ridgid warranty is gold!

Gary79Ag
AG
dubi said:

bco2003 said:

All the Ridgid tools we purchased in '03 to renovate a house have broken and been replaced for FREE. All the batteries were replaced at least once.

The Ridgid warranty is gold!

Very true as I too am a Rigid user, but the most important thing is to register the tools as soon as you purchase them, which I didn't on my first Rigid drill and it wasn't covered.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.