Bermuda, zoysia, or st augustine

7,604 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by reddog90
TMfrisco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
reddog90 said:

TMfrisco said:

I understand the need for calibrated, quality spray equipment when applying chemicals - especially in a business setting. I'm just telling you that for a homeowner putting down a growth regulator on their own yard it is overkill. I will freely admit that homeowners are very likely to operate by the "if a little is good, a lot will be better" mantra and could run into problems. However, if you understand the rate needed for a PGR on a bermuda lawn - and it is your own lawn - I personally would not go to the trouble of using the proper sprayer and nozzle setup. I've applied Primo to my own yard for over 20 years with a hose-end sprayer and never had any problems.
I know what rate is needed and have had excellent results without going through the trouble of calibrating a sprayer - either a walking boom or backpack or pump up.

For another example, watch any of the major lawn companies come around your neighborhood with a skid tank in the back of a truck and an applicator putting down chemicals. Granted, the solution in the tank is properly mixed and at a given pressure they know how much their sprayer is applying. They do not know how fast the applicator walks or moves his sprayer back and forth - etc. The chemicals they use are much more likely to cause harm than a simple PGR.

I am certainly not arguing with you about what is "right". I'm simply saying that if you want to apply a PGR to a yard and aren't concerned with the cost differences if you over-apply a little, a hose-end sprayer will work just fine for you.
No, those guys spraying for a business probably don't know their walking speed. But they are consistently walking the same speed and holding the wand at the same height every time they spray (or at least they should be). Therefore they know how much they are spraying per 1k SF. There is also quite a difference in droplet size comparing a hose end sprayer vs something like an XR TeeJet. PGR needs to stick to the grass leaves when sprayed. I'm surprised but glad the hose end has worked out for you.
PGRs do not need to "stick to the leaves" or they would require a surfactant when you spray them. In fact, they are rain fast on their own in about 2 hours. They do need to be sprayed in the appropriate spray volume of water/acre.
But let's think about this. These PGRs are labled at around .25oz/M sf. On 419 @ 1/2". I get fine results at .125oz/M. At a little more than the labled rate a hose-end applicator will provide sufficient coverage.
Look at it another way. There are a ton of products sold to homeowners in pre-mixed, connect-a-hose-and go containers. Again, these products have much more opportunity to harm just about everything as compared to a PGR and they are sold in their own hose-end applicator - so they must be somewhat accurate.
And finally, I'll reiterate that I'm not saying you aren't correct by the letter of the law or even by responsible applicating procedures. I am saying PGRs aren't going to harm anything and a hose-end applicator is plenty accurate enough - provided you don't care about cost - to apply a PGR to your own home lawn.
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TMfrisco said:

reddog90 said:

TMfrisco said:

I understand the need for calibrated, quality spray equipment when applying chemicals - especially in a business setting. I'm just telling you that for a homeowner putting down a growth regulator on their own yard it is overkill. I will freely admit that homeowners are very likely to operate by the "if a little is good, a lot will be better" mantra and could run into problems. However, if you understand the rate needed for a PGR on a bermuda lawn - and it is your own lawn - I personally would not go to the trouble of using the proper sprayer and nozzle setup. I've applied Primo to my own yard for over 20 years with a hose-end sprayer and never had any problems.
I know what rate is needed and have had excellent results without going through the trouble of calibrating a sprayer - either a walking boom or backpack or pump up.

For another example, watch any of the major lawn companies come around your neighborhood with a skid tank in the back of a truck and an applicator putting down chemicals. Granted, the solution in the tank is properly mixed and at a given pressure they know how much their sprayer is applying. They do not know how fast the applicator walks or moves his sprayer back and forth - etc. The chemicals they use are much more likely to cause harm than a simple PGR.

I am certainly not arguing with you about what is "right". I'm simply saying that if you want to apply a PGR to a yard and aren't concerned with the cost differences if you over-apply a little, a hose-end sprayer will work just fine for you.
No, those guys spraying for a business probably don't know their walking speed. But they are consistently walking the same speed and holding the wand at the same height every time they spray (or at least they should be). Therefore they know how much they are spraying per 1k SF. There is also quite a difference in droplet size comparing a hose end sprayer vs something like an XR TeeJet. PGR needs to stick to the grass leaves when sprayed. I'm surprised but glad the hose end has worked out for you.
PGRs do not need to "stick to the leaves" or they would require a surfactant when you spray them. In fact, they are rain fast on their own in about 2 hours. They do need to be sprayed in the appropriate spray volume of water/acre.
But let's think about this. These PGRs are labled at around .25oz/M sf. On 419 @ 1/2". I get fine results at .125oz/M. At a little more than the labled rate a hose-end applicator will provide sufficient coverage.
Look at it another way. There are a ton of products sold to homeowners in pre-mixed, connect-a-hose-and go containers. Again, these products have much more opportunity to harm just about everything as compared to a PGR and they are sold in their own hose-end applicator - so they must be somewhat accurate.
And finally, I'll reiterate that I'm not saying you aren't correct by the letter of the law or even by responsible applicating procedures. I am saying PGRs aren't going to harm anything and a hose-end applicator is plenty accurate enough - provided you don't care about cost - to apply a PGR to your own home lawn.

It's a foliar app and needs to stick to the leaf. You are probably putting most of your app into the soil with a hose end sprayer. But if it seems to be working OK for you, have at it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.