Popcorn Ceilings Have Asbestos

7,157 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLA06
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just bought a house and we're planning to reno the kitchen and clean up the old ceilings and wall texture.

Ceilings tested positive for asbestos. I'm seeing a fair amount of advice that says the fears are mostly overblown. Tape all the vents, keep it wet, wear a good respirator. What say you texags?
The Fife
How many rooms are you talking about here? I'd be inclined to get rid of it like you described if it hasn't been painted over and comes off easily.
'03ag
Whole house. 2700 square feet. House is empty and we don't need to move in for 6-8 weeks.
The Original AG 76
AG
Removing asbestos is doable for dyi BUT the problem is the legal disposal of the stuff. You can't just bag it and toss it...legally. This is why the asbestos removal companies can charge so much.
Be very careful and do your homework regarding how to get rid of the stuff
sts7049
AG
if your entire house has this in the ceiling, i wouldn't touch it as DIY

i probably wouldn't touch any amount of asbestos as DIY personally. others around here are willing to.
'03ag
The testing company, who also does abatement, said all the regs surrounding asbestos only apply to commercial and public buildings. Residential can legally bag it and leave it on the curb. Thats the law in Texas according to them. Other states are stricter.
'03ag
To clarify an abatement company has to follow disposal regs whether it is residential or commercial. A homeowner doing diy does not. So they said.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If the popcorn has asbestos, there's a good chance that the texture on the wall has it as well. I would NOT do a DIY abatement. You may have to disclose that you abated it yourself, and I'd never buy a house where someone did that. Not to mention health risks and local waste disposal ordinances.

As far as personal disposal, here's a Texas Statue that may cover it:

Solid Waste Act
The Fife
I'd look into having 1/4" drywall installed beneath your current ceiling. Popcorn's gone and asbestos is encapsulated.
'03ag
Well anyone had it done or know abouy what it would cost? For removal.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd probably have it done professionally so I could get a certificate. Not really needed. You can disclose it if you need to and have that handy. Asbestos is not as bad as everyone flips out over. In 30 years, when everyone figures out that their high end granite counter tops are radioactive well have to freak out over that too and it'll be the same gig. Lol.

If it were mine, I'd consider mudding it thick, stomp and drag and move on down the road.
'03ag
Easier said than done obviously. I've seen estimates on the interwebs ranging from 3-7 dollars per sqft. Even on the low end that's a major blow. We were hoping to roll our sleeves up, and do a bunch of reno ourselves, and keep the total under 25k. This could ruin pretty much all our plans for the house.
'03ag
We have a 6 month old as well so we're a little extra paranoid.

Part of me also wonders how dangerous this stuff really is in small doses. In willing to bet in a year of stop and go commuting I inhale more asbestos from brake dust than is in my entire house.
BrazosDog02
AG
Well, why not find a section in a closet and soak that f-er down with water and take a sharp offset scraper and go to town? Get a respirator just for safety. I don't think this is as big a deal as they make it out. When you start putting legal things into it, every abatement company starts charging out the ass.

I mean soak it down....and then soak it down again. If you notice dust, then stop?
sts7049
AG
i really don't understand why you say asbestos isn't a big deal.
Kenneth_2003
AG
sts7049 said:

Because a 1 time exposure isn't going to kill you. The folks that get mesothelioma and the other asbestos associated ailments breathed the stuff day in and day out for large portions of if not their entire careers.
sts7049
AG
I'm not suggesting you'll get cancer after one time. but it's a dangerous substance and i don't see it worth messing with. especially if you have a house full if it.
'03ag
First quote was $10k. Getting two more this morning.
The Fife
What about installing 1/4" drywall underneath it? It might be more cost effective and whatever asbestos is up there would be encapsulated.
'03ag
considering it. not too keen on lowering the ceilings anymore than they are. the most difficult room to do abatement in is vaulted, and it might work in there. having quotes done with and with out that room.

That's still a big project, and aren't you disturbing the asbestos some anyway by screwing into it?
Gary79Ag
AG
'03ag said:

considering it. not too keen on lowering the ceilings anymore than they are. the most difficult room to do abatement in is vaulted, and it might work in there. having quotes done with and with out that room.

That's still a big project, and aren't you disturbing the asbestos some anyway by screwing into it?
Think something along the lines of "it's just a spit in the ocean"!

Nothing to worry about!
Aggietaco
AG
The disclosure portion when you sell in the future is the only part that would hold me up from DIY. You can go buy the same masks, bunny suits, and PPE as the professionals and dispose of it accordingly for a fraction of the price. Popcorn removal is a paint in the butt, but now is the time to get it done and I'm assuming a few days of labor is work $10,000 to you.

I haven't gone through the process, but it may be that you disclose it was once installed, but removed and painted over XX years ago and no one dives any deeper?
'03ag
Aggietaco said:

The disclosure portion when you sell in the future is the only part that would hold me up from DIY. You can go buy the same masks, bunny suits, and PPE as the professionals and dispose of it accordingly for a fraction of the price. Popcorn removal is a paint in the butt, but now is the time to get it done and I'm assuming a few days of labor is work $10,000 to you.

I haven't gone through the process, but it may be that you disclose it was once installed, but removed and painted over XX years ago and no one dives any deeper?
Same. Famous last words I know, but we really do intend to be here a long time. We actually sold a house in this neighborhood a few years ago and regret it. It's a great school pipeline. Whatever we do we want to do it NOW and not spend years wishing the house had this or that.

And yeah the house is empty and we don't have to move in for at least 4 weeks, probably more. I'm leaning toward taking all the remediation steps we can. then airing it out for a few days. call it good.

Something someone else brought up though. Could be in the drywall mud as well right? worth redoing the drywall too?
p_bubel
Could be, but doubtful.

That was mostly a commercial application, IIRC. You probably want a decent respirator anyway when tearing into the drywall. Cover the AC vents/return as well.

Some asbestos is present in the air and in the water pretty much everywhere (In usually very minor amounts) This is about a good a read I can find these days.
dubi
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

If the popcorn has asbestos, there's a good chance that the texture on the wall has it as well. I would NOT do a DIY abatement. You may have to disclose that you abated it yourself, and I'd never buy a house where someone did that. Not to mention health risks and local waste disposal ordinances.

As far as personal disposal, here's a Texas Statue that may cover it:

Solid Waste Act

I'd be wary of this.
BrazosDog02
AG
You just need to disclose that you are aware of asbestos if you want to be totally honest. Keep in mind that if a buyer is worried, it's up to him to foot the bill for testing and if it's still in the home you are under zero obligation to do anything about it.

Vivificus
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Removing asbestos is doable for dyi BUT the problem is the legal disposal of the stuff. You can't just bag it and toss it...legally. This is why the asbestos removal companies can charge so much.
Be very careful and do your homework regarding how to get rid of the stuff

If he hadn't tested it he could throw it away. I didnt bother testing my popcorn ceiling, just scraped and threw it out.
Viv
Satellite of Love
BrazosDog02 said:

You just need to disclose that you are aware of asbestos if you want to be totally honest. Keep in mind that if a buyer is worried, it's up to him to foot the bill for testing and if it's still in the home you are under zero obligation to do anything about it.

We are trying to close selling a house and there was an inspection item of possible ACM in the HVAC duct work. We paid to have some sample taken and tested for the buyer. If it comes back positive should I tell them good luck chuck, I'm out!

They've been trying to nickle and dime us on everything. For me if a duct is wrapped in ACM (it doesn't appear to disintegrating) just leave it. No need to disturb it.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Oogway
My inclination would be to hire a reputable professional, but when you mentioned you have a small child, it gave me pause. It could very well be that parental concern could ensure that you will be extra careful if you DIY. That is not my choice to make.

This site is located in Australia, but they have decent advice:
http://asbestosawareness.com.au/disposal-legalities-nsw/diy-removal-nsw/

After you live in your house for awhile, is there some type of test you could do to check on the levels? Also, being very careful with any reno projects in the future if it was in the walls too.

As far as the disclosure, document meticulously. While you want to protect you and yours, you would not wish to harm someone else either.

Full disclosure: father died of mesothelioma, not long term exposure but more than single exposure.

Good luck to you and your family!
AgLA06
AG
sts7049 said:

After seeing your responses I've got to ask this question. Have you ever seen professional remediation of asbestos done?

sts7049
AG
i have not. why?
AgLA06
AG
sts7049 said:

i have not. why?

I'd suggest you do so at your first opportunity. It will be nothing like you expect based on the scare tactics and cost. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like that OP does a better and more professional job.
sts7049
AG
that really has nothing to do with the risk of the material though
'03ag
AgLA06 said:

sts7049 said:

i have not. why?

I'd suggest you do so at your first opportunity. It will be nothing like you expect based on the scare tactics and cost. I wouldn't be surprised if someone like that OP does a better and more professional job.
dammit.
AgLA06
AG
'03ag said:

AgLA06 said:

sts7049 said:

i have not. why?

dammit.

Just my professional opinion. Your mileage may very. However, my experience with it is in a much more regulated industry than residential. It's become a joke in industry circles.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.