Home Improvement
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

102,264 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Prince_Ahmed
tlepoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone found a good resource for Hill Country/Austin area? I always struggle with product/timings and tend to just average the Dallas/Houston resources vs look up soil temps.
Cromagnum
AG
Was gonna put it down this weekend, but not anymore now that they are predicting a foot of rain potentially.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I put out Dimension in College Station today.
Troy91
AG
Put out Halts in Bastrop today.
Cromagnum
AG
Put mine down on Sunday south of Houston.
Maximus Johnson
AG
I put down Scotts Bonus S and Vigoro Crabgrass and Weed preventer earlier this week before I read this forum. Will this work or do I need to buy Dimension?

Any recommendations on where to buy if I do need to buy some?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
The vigoro is dimension in pretty sure.

Stop using weed and feed though. Weed control and fertilizer are more effective when applied separately
MTTANK
AG
Went to apply some nitro phos barricade pre emergent, and figured out I did not have any left in the shed. I have always ordered it online. About to go on vacation, so no time to order some now. All I could find local was barricade mixed with potash, went ahead used it against my better judgement. Will my yard be a wasteland? Here is what I bought: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lesco-LESCO-Stonewall-Crabgrass-Preventer-0-0-7/5001213041
GIG 'EM
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's fine. Don't overthink it.
Daddy-O5
AG
Late to the party here, complete new guy to lawn care. NW Houston on a little over an acre. Too late for pre emergent if I did it after the storm this week? If so what should be my next step? Mainly St Augustine but contending with several various weeds at this point.

TIA
Trench55
AG
Based on a recommendation in the Fredericksburg paper for dealing with "sticker burrs," I put down an initial treatment in mid-February and a second treatment yesterday (March 20). Got a little rain after each treatment, but I'm not sure if it was enough. I plan to start watering it in tomorrow.
FincAg
AG
About that time of the year again folks.
Put some whiskey in your water, sugar in your tea.
dvldog
AG
Put out enough for 8k square feet in far North Dallas this morning (both Prodiamine and Gallery). It's now in the runoff lake. FML.
aggieforester05
AG
Any recommendations for preventing Chamberbitter (aka Gripeweed)? This only popped up in my yard in the last two years. I did timely fall and early spring preemergent applications this year and it didn't phase it. Didn't pop up until early June when it was too hot for 2-4-D. I've tried spot spraying Atrizine and it doesn't do squat. This invasive Chinese weed has spread throughout the Longview area like wild fire the last two years, don't know about other areas.

terradactylexpress
I just applied a bunch of MSM and is seems like it killed the gripeweed along with the Bahia grass I was fighting
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
'Bout that time, innit?
El_duderino
It's been that time with the last couple weeks temps and forecast temps. Put mine down about 14-16 days ago.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well I put mine down today. I always do the last weekend in February. Hope I wasn't too late.
El_duderino
I'm sure it's fine. Nothing a little post emergent can't take care of if anything pops through
Troy91
AG
Timing is here to apply pre-emergent weedkiller granules in South Texas. Central and North Central Texas will come in a week or so, and North Texas a week or two after that. See related story this issue.https://neilsperry.com/2023/02/gardening-this-weekend-february-23-2023/
Jack Pearson
AG
https://yardmastery.com/collections/yard-mastery/products/prodiamine#

has anyone ever used this ?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
This is exactly what I'm using right now. Lowes was clearancing some like 3 years ago. I picked up 10 bags at $5/bag. Not sure what the shelf life is, but I couldn't pass up $5/bag
txag2008
AG
no, but I always use this for pre-emerg. It's the same 0-0-7 ratio

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LESCO-50-lb-Crabgrass-Control-0-0-7-052388/100121942?g_store=6555&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28O-028_002_FERTILIZERS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28O-028_002_FERTILIZERS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000064087486-58700005695909825-92700051963344737&gclid=CjwKCAiAxvGfBhB-EiwAMPakqsoZN5zgGl3zSIZ5YL0rJNzEckO-IXxhUybPG9Xf6l_WXPhJQLmJfxoCI_sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
El_duderino
Not granular yard mastery, but yes Prodiamine is one of the pre emergents I use and have success with it
apoglo12
AG
First time owning a home with a real lawn so forgive me for the basic question.

I put down pre-emergent 3 days ago, soaked with the sprinklers and got some rain the last couple days. Am I good to mow this weekend followed by putting down Nitro Phos Imperial? Just want to make sure I don't do anything dumb. Thanks!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yeah you'll be fine. You going for that early green up? If so use fast acting fertilizer instead of slow release. Personally I wait until late March and put down a slow release 15-5-10
apoglo12
AG
Thanks, I was just seeing on the Randy Lemmon calendar that we are in the window. I'm in Houston, do most folks wait until late March for the Imperial?
wangus12
AG
Should I have already scalped my yard? Based on a quick glance at the forecast, I don't think its going to freeze again, but not sure if I should go ahead do it.
El_duderino
Go for it
BadMoonRisin
AG
this week im going to cut the grass short, put out pre-emergent herbicide. I already have a few weeds actively growing, i guess I can either pull those or hit them with roundup, correct?

Im in Central TX -- so not sure whether to use DFW schedule or Randy Lemmon.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Are they broadleaf weeds? I'd use 2,4-d instead of roundup for spot treatments like that.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Dandelion and crab grass so yeah I think
hoosier-daddy
crab grass <> broadleaf weed
chrisag09
AG
Any recs for a fast-acting fertilizer to give my St. Augustine a nice 'green up'? Located in Cen Tex
bam02
AG
Any 15-5-10

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.