*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

97,081 Views | 360 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ducks4brkfast
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Take a look in here

https://aggieturf.tamu.edu/turfgrass-weeds/
tlepoC
AG
Thanks. I'll go with KR Bluestem based on that.
El_duderino
That **** is the devil
Cromagnum
AG
Have to wait for my lawn to dry out (cant believe im saying that) before I can put down preemergent now. Got over 8 inches of rain in 3 days.
AggieFactor
AG
So who is treating this weekend in North Texas as the last frost of the season and getting ready to start all their Spring fertilizer programs? Who has already started it given the temps the last couple weeks? Already starting to see my Zoysia greening up in the full sun areas here in East Dallas.

FYI still in the first year of growth for the sod so still not using pre-emergent which is why I am not referencing that.
Aggie71013
AG
Guessing it's about time in Houston too. Likely have had our last freeze and that normally occurs in March.
agdoc91
AG
This week's to-do list from Neil Sperry's email newsletter (February 15th):

"Deep South Texas apply pre-emergent granules Dimension, Halts, or Balan to prevent germination of crabgrass and grassburs. Repeat 90 days later for full season of control. These are safe on any type of lawngrass. In Central Texas your time will come first two weeks of March. Far North Texas apply last two weeks of March. These pre-emergent products must be applied before weed seeds germinate."
El_duderino
I definitely wouldn't wait another few weeks to a month to put down Pre E anywhere in Texas. 5 day soil temp average is already 52 up in dallas
lawless89
Put down my pre-emergent last week in College Station. Then this week did a full yard aeration and then rolled on compost. My St. Augustine was already coming out of dormancy and I knew I needed to get started!
Cromagnum
AG
Got all mine sprayed down the last couple of days. Time to fertilize and work on getting the weeds in control.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Got Barricade and fertilizer down yesterday. And brought the irrigation system back online. Reallly hoping I don't have to resod half my front yard, however I went scorched earth on it last Summer with weed killer and knocked the d!ck out of my St Augustine. I created a much bigger problem, but we'll see how well it bounces back this Spring.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.