Home Improvement
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

102,288 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Prince_Ahmed
webgem08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried to put down rye for the first time this year. What I didn't know was that Neil's pre-emergent schedule seriously puts a damper on the rye germinating and taking hold.

Those of you with bermuda, is it worth skipping the Labor Day pre-emergent application and dealing with winter weeds to have a green yard in the winter and early spring?
El_duderino
water turkey
"Is now a good time to put down Barricade in College Station? Putting down some Talstar for ants today. Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone."

Yes, I put mine down 2 weeks ago. Lemmon said to put it down early.
El_duderino
I put down Hi Yield today and also in BCS. Granular dimension is safe around trees correct?
Aggie71013
AG
Any reason go delay in Houston since we are expecting a freeze next week?
jtraggie99
AG
webgem08 said:

Tried to put down rye for the first time this year. What I didn't know was that Neil's pre-emergent schedule seriously puts a damper on the rye germinating and taking hold.

Those of you with bermuda, is it worth skipping the Labor Day pre-emergent application and dealing with winter weeds to have a green yard in the winter and early spring?
Man, I've got some small patches of rye in my bermuda, and I hate the stuff. Just curious, but why would you want to have to mow and all of that in the winter?
jtraggie99
AG
Aggie71013 said:

Any reason go delay in Houston since we are expecting a freeze next week?
Why delay? Freezing weather should have no affect on pre-emergent. I started putting mine down in early January, then again in March / April (I'm in DFW).
AgCWby90CS
AG
jtraggie99 said:

webgem08 said:

Man, I've got some small patches of rye in my bermuda, and I hate the stuff. Just curious, but why would you want to have to mow and all of that in the winter?
I spread some rye grass seeds last fall as I had done some fill in certain areas and wanted a root coverage to prevent erosion. Had to cut it a couple times but not every week.
CWby '90
ATX_AG_08
AG
Am I late putting down preemergent in Austin (Buda to be exact)?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
No. I usually don't put down until a couple more weeks from now.
Boat Shoes
AG
I believe Neil Sperry is saying mid to late February for DFW.
real141
AG
Would now be good for SA area
aTm_bomb
AG
After this frozen tundra weather, what can I expect from my st augustine grass come spring? It currently looks less dormant and more dead as it was starting to green slightly for the spring prior to the freeze.

I hadn't done any fertilizer yet but had put down premergent about a week before
evan_aggie
AG
What are we putting down right now for Augustine? Looks like weeds are coming in strong.
FincAg
AG
Spot treating with 24D gently. Dallas, TX
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I spread Barricade out this morning in College Station.

FYI- just went to Lowe's and they had bags of generic Dimension for $5 for a 50lb bag right at the lawn and garden checkouts. I bought 5 bags. Should be good for a couple years
sellthefarm
AG
That is a great deal. Hopefully they have it in Temple.
El_duderino
I put out dimension back in the first week of February since I plan on doing another application late April to early may. I'm wondering if the snow/freeze messed that up or if I should stick to my schedule?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I'm not an expert, but I'd think it's it's already in soil and not washed away you're fine. It's supposed to be effective for 90-100 days so as long as you hit that schedule I'd think it's ok.
Boat Shoes
AG
So is it time to lay pre-emergent in Dallas or did I miss my window?
FincAg
AG
This week
YourFavAggie
AG
Boat Shoes said:

Should be good
Eyes of texas Crying
Boat Shoes
AG
YourFavAggie said:

Boat Shoes said:

Should be good

Bags in the Jeep. Headed home to put down.
Cramp00
Boat Shoes said:

Sperry: For summer weeds such as grassburs (sandburs) and crabgrass: 2 to 3 weeks before the average date of the last killing freeze for your area. In South Texas that would be late February. You are in good shape time-wise thanks to last week's cold. In Central and North Central Texas it would be the first two weeks of March. In North Texas it would be the middle two weeks of March. In the Panhandle it would be late March.
WLW12SPJ
AG
I'm sure this has been discussed to death AND if I had searching skills I could probably find it. Anyhow, How do companies like Scott's do so well selling their all-n-one stuff (pre/post emergent and fertilizer) when everyone says that is really not the way to do it? From what I read on here you are supposed to do pre-emergent at one date, fertilizer a few weeks later, etc., but the Scott's (or other companies) stuff must work a little bit.

I have Bermuda grass in my "immediate" yard around the house with bahia further out. We had the yard re-graded and sodded with Bermuda about 4 years ago. Central Texas area.

TIA for any clarity on Scott's all-in-one stuff versus the Sperry/Lemon schedules.
aTm_bomb
AG
Lazyness.
FincAg
AG
Bumpity bump

Tis' the season if you haven't already.

DFW area is due this weekend, parts South of us might might have a little more time. Apologies for not bumping sooner.
txag2008
AG
I thought it was end of Oct/start of November? (In DFW)
FincAg
AG
Sort of but that isn't always the case. I feel like it has been later in the past.

https://neilsperry.com/2021/08/last-chance-for-pre-emergent-weedkiller/
El_duderino
I'm putting down my prodiamine tomorrow in BCS and then Simazine October 1st/December 1st and should be good until March for prodiamine again
double aught
AG
Thanks for the reminder.

So pre-emergent now and fertilizer in a few weeks? Or is fertilizer not needed in the fall?
FincAg
AG
I beleive Bermuda is ready for a little juice, but supposed to wait on feeding St Augustin for the moment. SkierAg may chime in, but I try to follow Neil Sperry pretty close, and I have had really good success turning the weed field into a barefoot playground.
wbt5845
AG
D/FW is this weekend. Got mine down middle of last week.

I personally don't like to do a fall fertilization. I have St Augustine, and first coupe of cool nights turn it right off, so it seems fall fertilizations are just a waste.
redag06
Fall fertilizing isn't to extend the growing/green, it is to prepare for the spring.
ktownag08
AG
Still time in Houston for pre-emergent though right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.