Home Improvement
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent FAQ ***

102,283 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Prince_Ahmed
Charlie Murphy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems in this heat that anything that will kill these weeds will also kill your grass. Coming from Houston so may be different elsewhere
cevans_40
AG
I spray many, many herbicides in the dead of summer. St Augustine is much more susceptible to burn vs Bermuda but there are many options available that will not cause burn. FYI, more times than not, the surfactant is the cause of the burn in the heat. The more viscous the product, the more burn potential. Its is usually just a surface burn and doesn't kill the entire plant system (actually burns the leaf via heat caused by the oil based product).
sleepybeagle
AG
Best home improvement thread ever!
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I used liquid Atrizine in St. Augustine in the upper 90s a few weeks ago. Killed the weeds I was targeting, only a mild and short lived discoloration of the grass.
The story isn't that [DeSantis] "couldn't win" the primary. The story is that an overwhelming majority of our population is heinously stupid. 50% of them vote for communists. 75% of the remaining 50% vote for Trump, who cant win. When the majority of the opposition party insists on voting for an opposition candidate who can't win, you get exactly the government you deserve. - Well Endowed Ag
BearJew13
AG
Good to know. Thanks a lot for the advice.
Charlie Murphy
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I used liquid Atrizine in St. Augustine in the upper 90s a few weeks ago. Killed the weeds I was targeting, only a mild and short lived discoloration of the grass.
Where are you located?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Houston
The story isn't that [DeSantis] "couldn't win" the primary. The story is that an overwhelming majority of our population is heinously stupid. 50% of them vote for communists. 75% of the remaining 50% vote for Trump, who cant win. When the majority of the opposition party insists on voting for an opposition candidate who can't win, you get exactly the government you deserve. - Well Endowed Ag
Whoop Delecto
AG
I'm spreading Nitro Phos Barricade south of Houston. St Augustine

Should I hit the flower beds or just the turf? Lots of Louisiana Iris in the beds that I don't want to damage.

NVM, I bought the product and read the label.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I spread pendulum granule last night and watered it in.

Now, when do I put out a winter fertilizer?
FincAg
AG
Today or tomorrow with another light watering.
saltydog13
AG
Putting out the winterizer w/pre-emergent this week before the upcoming cool front
cevans_40
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Should I hit the flower beds or just the turf? Lots of Louisiana Iris in the beds that I don't want to damage.

Curious as to what the label said on this?
Whoop Delecto
AG
https://www.solutionsstores.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/3149/

https://www.solutionsstores.com/barricade-granular-herbicide

Cromagnum
AG
Put all my stuff down yesterday. Noticed a lot of moths too and also brown patch starting to crop up so may be advisable to go ahead and put your fungicides and pesticide treatments too.
Ezra Brooks
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I've always put it in my beds as well - did it this morning in fact.
cevans_40
AG
That label is even more ambiguous than what I have on file. My label says bulb plants are okay after emergence but before bloom. Never specifically addresses Louisiana Iris. What did you end up doing?
Whoop Delecto
AG
cevans_40
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I treated all of the beds.

The iris plants are so thick that even if I lost a portion it would be okay. They seem very hardy. With all of the ornamental shrubs listed, I decided to give it a shot. I'll report back if I see any adverse impact.

I feel confident you won't notice any difference. I have thrown barricade into to Louisiana Iris before and didn't see any damage. I wasn't really worried about them as I was more worried about the turf (golf course).
Gordon McKernan
Cold front came through in Houston. Am i wasting my time if I put my pre-emergent out this weekend?

Edit to add: here is what I have.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
No you're not wasting your time. It may be less effective but not all is lost.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Go ahead and do it. Probably a little late so might not be as effective as it would've been a couple weeks ago, but definitely won't hurt anything.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
For future reference, buying the generic, water dispensable granule (mix in water then spray) is a lot cheaper and not nearly as heavy.
https://www.domyown.com/prodiamine-65-wdg-generic-barricade-p-2495.html?rrec=true
Gordon McKernan
Nice, thanks. Ya the stuff I linked above is usually anywhere from $17-20 a bag so this would be much cheaper. I'll put what I have out today & order this for future applications.

Thanks.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Would this be more effective than pendulum granules then watering in? Im in college station with st Augustine grass. First year in this house and never taken care of st Augustine before.
cevans_40
AG
I would caution against spraying barricade with a handheld pump sprayer. It is a root pruner and at high rates could cause substantial damage. If you have the ability and equipment to deliver a precise uniform rate, go for it as spraying provides better soil coverage than granular.
cevans_40
AG
DP
cevans_40
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Would this be more effective than pendulum granules then watering in? Im in college station with st Augustine grass. First year in this house and never taken care of st Augustine before.

Pendulum and Barricade are fairly similar. I personally feel Barricade does better with winter annuals but pendulum is a fine product.
1208HawkTree
AG
I have a bag of Halts collecting dust in the garage. I put Barricade down a couple weeks ago. With all of this rain recently, plus cooler temps, would it be a bad idea (or pointless) to put the Halts down today? I did notice a few things sprouting here and there in some corners and bare areas in the shade when I mowed yesterday, so I'm thinking it's probably too late.
cevans_40
AG
I would wait a couple weeks. What type of grass and where are you located?
1208HawkTree
AG
cevans_40 said:

StA in Houston.
cevans_40
AG
1208HawkTree said:

cevans_40 said:

StA in Houston.

I would wait until it turns dormant. With barricade already down, I can see some serious club roots if you apply the pendi now.
1208HawkTree
AG
cevans_40 said:

1208HawkTree said:

cevans_40 said:

StA in Houston.

I would wait until it turns dormant. With barricade already down, I can see some serious club roots if you apply the pendi now.

Ok, I was just thinking that since we had a bunch of rain relatively close to when I put the barricade down I may not get the full benefit, but that makes sense. Thanks.
cevans_40
AG
1208HawkTree said:

cevans_40 said:

1208HawkTree said:

cevans_40 said:

StA in Houston.

Ok, I was just thinking that since we had a bunch of rain relatively close to when I put the barricade down I may not get the full benefit, but that makes sense. Thanks.

I would wait until it goes dormant and then put out the pre emergent and spot treat any Winter weeds with round up
BowSowy
AG
I put my pre-emergent down at the start of October (StA in Houston) - I think I read somewhere that you should do a second round of pre-emergent 45-60 days later, is that true?

Also, re: spot treatment with Round Up - I held off on doing that in the spring/summer because my yard was newly sodded in March and didn't want to mess with new grass trying to take root. But it should be pretty good to go for spot treatment now, right?
cevans_40
AG
BowSowy said:

I put my pre-emergent down at the start of October (StA in Houston) - I think I read somewhere that you should do a second round of pre-emergent 45-60 days later, is that true?

Also, re: spot treatment with Round Up - I held off on doing that in the spring/summer because my yard was newly sodded in March and didn't want to mess with new grass trying to take root. But it should be pretty good to go for spot treatment now, right?

Yes. Assuming you didn't put down specticle, you will only get 90 days control from your preemergent. I would wait until your grass is dormant and then reapply. It is much easier on the root system this way.

Use the roundup liberally when your lawn is dormant. You won't hurt anything. During spring and summer you will see some damage but it will recover. If you have Bermuda, use a super low rate, like .5oz/G of spot spray mix. It will kill most all of your weeds and many times won't injury the Bermuda. If you have St. Augustine, just use low pressure and try to keep the Roundup off of your grass and just on the weeds. Biggest mistake I see homeowners do, is applying way too much spray. Just a quick mist over the weeds is good. A gallon of spray should cover 1000 sq ft at a minimum. I use somewhere between .5 and .6G/1000.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.