My son (5 y/o) had his first class with First Tee this past weekend and seemed to enjoy it. He requested to come back the next day and the day after that to hit more balls, which I, of course, was on board with (top 3 dad moment right there).
We are at square 1. Gripping the club appropriately, getting feet set, keeping eye on the ball are all things I have started working on with him. However, hitting balls at the range keeps his attention span for about 5 minutes, then he is ready to move on to something else. It also didn't help that it was so hot outside, I am hoping with cooler temps he can stay with it longer. However, I need some ideas for "games" that we could play that will allow him to work on those basics, but also keep his attention longer than a range session will.
One of my ideas is to get some sort of ring or hoola-hoop type thing and have him try to land a ball in it. We have foam practice balls so not worried about knocking out a window or anything just yet.
For those dads that got their kids started at an early age, what are some things you did with your kids to make practice fun, especially while establishing the basics? I've been waiting for these moments since the day he was born, and want to make sure he is learning but also keeping it fun for him. I appreciate any advice you guys have!
We are at square 1. Gripping the club appropriately, getting feet set, keeping eye on the ball are all things I have started working on with him. However, hitting balls at the range keeps his attention span for about 5 minutes, then he is ready to move on to something else. It also didn't help that it was so hot outside, I am hoping with cooler temps he can stay with it longer. However, I need some ideas for "games" that we could play that will allow him to work on those basics, but also keep his attention longer than a range session will.
One of my ideas is to get some sort of ring or hoola-hoop type thing and have him try to land a ball in it. We have foam practice balls so not worried about knocking out a window or anything just yet.
For those dads that got their kids started at an early age, what are some things you did with your kids to make practice fun, especially while establishing the basics? I've been waiting for these moments since the day he was born, and want to make sure he is learning but also keeping it fun for him. I appreciate any advice you guys have!