*** 124th U.S. Open ***

54,075 Views | 722 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Bunk Moreland
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
reports are the greens were running around 15 on the stimpmeter Tuesday in hopes to get them around 13.5 for the tournament.
powerbelly
AG
Buck Compton said:

CyclingAg82 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

That is freaking ridiculous. Looks like USGA is working hard to become the story instead of the competitors.

Imagine a ball with some backspin.
Agreed. Hard but fair should be their goal. A shot that would land like that doesn't deserve that fate. It wasn't risky, it was on the green, pin-high. It's laziness.

Create risk-reward, penalize risks that end in bad shots, punish any bad shots, but reward great shots. Don't only reward perfect shots but punish everything else.
Being pin-high should not be a guarantee for success. Pros should not be able to go pin-hunting at US Opens. Great shots are still rewarded, but a great shot isn't necessarily pin-high.
bagger05
AG
EXACTLY.

Most weeks, these guys are so good that they can stay aggressive even if they're out of position. A tough US Open setup doesn't allow that.

This is just my personal opinion for what I want to see from a US Open:

- If you're in perfect position, you can get a straightforward par pretty easily if you stay conservative. But if you decide to get it close and you miss, you're looking at a really tough par or a bogey.

- If you're in okay but not great position, it'll take a really good shot to give you a straightforward par. If you want to get it close from a tough angle, you better be able to hit a landing spot the size of a hand towel if you don't want to be staring at a bogey or worse.

- If you're out of position, you better take your medicine or pray to get lucky.

I'm glad they don't do this every week -- but to me this tests a different aspect of the game. It takes great play, but it also takes a lot of discipline and patience.
'03ag
bagger05 said:

I'm glad they don't do this every week -- but to me this tests a different aspect of the game. It takes great play, but it also takes a lot of discipline and patience.
Same. Once a year I want to see these guys cry
The Milkman
AG
Yeah the pros typical main MO is to put themselves in a safe, but birdiable position. On #2's greens those don't really exist. If they want to take on a flag, they have to hit a perfect (not just good shot). If they want to aim at the fatter part, but are off by a yard or two they can easily be repelled away and be looking at a bogey+. Most courses and set ups they play, they can play away from danger but still have a chance to roll in a few mid range putts a round along with easy 2 putt pars.

If they want a safe par, you can miss short of most greens out there, but that also removes much hope for a birdie.
muleshoe
AG
For those coming, downtown is fairly quiet. From Gate 8, You can take the resort shuttles to any of the hotels, Carolina, Holly, Manor….you wouldn't know the US Open is really happening. You don't have to be staying, just jump on. The shops downtown are looking for business, most folks don't visit. They come in/out for the Open. Highly recommend trying to see downtown. Everything is very walkable.
AgLA06
AG
muleshoe said:

What are we thinking this time?

+20 if he misses the cut?
+30 if he doesn't?
HeyAbbott
AG
Time to play the tournament now. Will be interesting to see how the greens perform.
mike_ags_fan12
The 2024 US Open Champion

Bryson DeChambeau
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't think this course sets up for him. Fairways and greens guy will win it. Or Scheff.
Project Gemini
AG
Course looks really nice. It's going to start drying out fast and the afternoon tee times are in for a treat.
Project Gemini
AG
Early on it appears the greens hold just fine around the holes but we've already seen at least two players, Will Z and Fitz, struggle to get balls out of collection areas with the putters.
GigEmJake17
AG
Sam opens with birdie
aginlakeway
AG
GigEmJake17 said:

Sam opens with birdie
TyHolden
AG
Is this on tv right now?

edit: It's on USA and peacock streaming.
The Milkman
AG
Yes
Ag_07
AG
TyHolden said:

Is this on tv right now?

USA Network all day

Also feature groups streaming online
Bunk Moreland
Koepka relying on his iron play early. Morikawa just missed a birdie you can't miss out there.
aggiebonzo
AG
Looked like a 2 ft putt with a ft of break. Yikes!
wangus12
AG
What a putt by Finau on the 18th
CFTXAG10
AG
A lot of tough putts droppin in the cup
GigEmJake17
AG
Sam has had back to back 16 footers drop to save par. Dang!
Bunk Moreland
Good thing Tiger teed off so early...we can get him off the coverage by noon.
CCred92
AG
Same thing for goof ball Koepka

At least we get Scotty this afternoon.
concac
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

And save ourselves from people like you always complaining about the Tiger coverage.
AgLA06
AG
Pavon with 2 eagles already!?!?
Ag_07
AG
CCred92 said:

Same thing for goof ball Koepka

At least we get Scotty this afternoon.

Speak for yourself. I love watching Brooks play in a major.

Dude is great to watch on these big stages.
Bunk Moreland

CCred92
AG
I was. Brooks is a wierd guy in my opinion. Hope he chokes. Would way rather watch tiger and Scotty.
AgLA06
AG
CCred92 said:

I was. Brooks is a wierd guy in my opinion. Hope he chokes. Would way rather watch tiger and Scotty.
He's Tiger incarnate in personality. Watching you guys find ways to justify unrelated bias is funny at times.
AgLA06
AG
Unemployed said:

Bunk Moreland said:

And save ourselves from people like you always complaining about the Tiger coverage.
Tiger coverage is the best.

Tiger hit's an amazing second shot! Settles for par. Just 10 shots back in round 1!!
aggiebonzo
AG
Bad take on Brooks. Dude is the definitive major champion of my generation so there are four times a year I love watching him. Could care less what he does on LIV, which he probably shares that same sentiment!
powerbelly
AG
AgLA06 said:

Unemployed said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Tiger coverage is the best.

Tiger hit's an amazing second shot! Settles for par. Just 10 shots back in round 1!!
I can't wait to see every shot of him finishing DFL
JCA1
AG
aggiebonzo said:

Bad take on Brooks. Dude is the definitive major champion of my generation so there are four times a year I love watching him. Could care less what he does on LIV, which he probably shares that same sentiment!

He's the voice of a new generation. My generation!

We're four months apart!
aggiebonzo
AG
Aberg just striped it down the middle of that fairway on 5. Might be leading this thing here shortly. Kid is just a stud.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.