Campus Golf Course

3,888 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dcrewint
Fat Tony
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also posted on the Premium board. Might get more thoughts on the Golf board.

Reading the recent reviews of the course, it sounds like it's been in lousy shape for a while now. What's the reputation of the course? Is it typically in rough shape?

Being managed by a private group, I expected it to be well maintained.
powerbelly
AG
Fat Tony said:

Also posted on the Premium board. Might get more thoughts on the Golf board.

Reading the recent reviews of the course, it sounds like it's been in lousy shape for a while now. What's the reputation of the course? Is it typically in rough shape?

Being managed by a private group, I expected it to be well maintained.
I wouldn't necessarily expect it. Especially with a fairly small management group.
dcrewint
It's alright. I wouldn't say it's in lousy shape, but it's not like it's upkeep is premium. It's not very exciting, but that has to do with the land it's on.
TexAg91
AG
any temporary greens? or greens with little to no grass?
concac
AG
Played there a couple of months ago. Conditions were good enough. Saying that it was lousy is an exaggeration.
dcrewint
Nope and nope
Fat Tony
AG
dcrewint said:

Nope and nope

Good to hear. The recent reviews showed the greens with little grass. Thanks.
Golf1
AG
For any of the "public" courses around here, A&M is hands down the best course. I haven't played it in a couple of months so maybe something changed but I've always enjoyed that course.
DonHenley
AG
Tamu should kick that management group to the curb. Greens have been died and redone twice in past few year years. Course was in awful shape for a year plus all around. Right now its almost back to being what it was. Greens and fairways are nice. Bunkers hit or miss. That long grass between fairways is really long. Course amenities and clubhouse are lacking but that's not on the management group.
Old Sarge
AG
DonHenley said:

Tamu should kick that management group to the curb. Greens have been died and redone twice in past few year years. Course was in awful shape for a year plus all around. Right now its almost back to being what it was. Greens and fairways are nice. Bunkers hit or miss. That long grass between fairways is really long. Course amenities and clubhouse are lacking but that's not on the management group.
I am planning on playing there in the next couple weeks. Returning to golf a few months ago after a decade+ hiatus. It's all coming back around at a slow but steady pace, except for my bunker play. Horrid. The condition of the bunkers probably does not matter, as my bunker play is. that. bad. Glad to hear of the greens and fairways, but the looong grass is a little concerning. Are we talking ankle deep here?
"Green" is the new RED.
Garhett_W
AG
Played today. Knee deep in some areas. Lost a couple in the "native areas".
Thisguy1
I'd be skeptical of those google reviews. The pictures with the greens without grass shows the review is a week old but when you click on the pictures it says a year. Like most courses around here, the greens suffered from freezes in recent years. They've rebounded from the old pictures on google reviews.
Fat Tony
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I'd be skeptical of those google reviews. The pictures with the greens without grass shows the review is a week old but when you click on the pictures it says a year. Like most courses around here, the greens suffered from freezes in recent years. They've rebounded from the old pictures on google reviews.
Famous Shoes
AG
I play there every weekend and during the week a lot too. Its in very shape right now. There are some bunkers that need attention for sure but overall its really good, not perfect just really good. As for the deep rough between the holes my advice is don't hit it in there and no I don't always follow my own advice.
DonHenley
AG
The deep rough is about the only defense out there on that course, so I can see why it is there. But, at the same time it slows down pace of play, and Campus Course is notorious for slow play. 5 and half hours on a Saturday is common. Its really high right now. I think it would make more sense to mow it so its longer than the other rough, but gives you a chance to find your ball. As for the bunkers, I wonder if they still plan on on taking more of them out.
Old Sarge
AG
So, the Book a Time now has a ** note that says the course has been recently aerated and expect repair. Does anyone know how long ago it was punched?
"Green" is the new RED.
Garhett_W
AG
It had not been punched on Monday (6/3/24)
Muy
AG
I get a kick out of the all dirt driving range. Throw some seeds on that ****, at least try and have some grass.
Thisguy1
They have. It's constantly full of people along with college classes hitting balls along with constant driving all over it to pick the balls. Not really the best environment for growing grass.

Hell, even Pebble has the same problem.
oldag00
AG
Played this morning. Greens rolled great.

Course is closed next week, June 10-14, for maintenance. I think that includes greens aeration.
dcrewint
Anyone know if the greens are running true as of the last week?
aggietony2010
AG
Played on 7/5, the greens were close, and mostly smooth, but you could still see faint marks where the plugs had been pulled. Had a putt or two take a slight deflection in the wrong direction at the last second, but I didn't notice the plug marks until the 4th or 5th hole, so it really wasn't bad.

I bet they're pretty close to perfect by the end of the week

Not sure why I ended up with that dumb emoji. Maybe my putting is that embarrassing.
oldag00
AG
I understand they sanded them again earlier this week, which should really help. As Tony stated above, they were already close to fully healed. I expect them to be pretty good this weekend.
oldag00
AG
Greens rolled great this morning. Perhaps just a little soft for my preference, but very good nonetheless.
Golf1
AG
Looking online at tee times for Saturday and doesn't show anything available during the week this week.. typically that means the course is closed due to maintenance or they are setting a record for number of rounds in a day. Anyone know if the course is closed the rest of the week?
dcrewint
They had an STPGA tournament yesterday. I believe the next 3 days they have an AJGA tournament.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.