Sam Bennet - Tour card update

52,555 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by GigEmJake17
AggieViking15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does Korn Ferry schedule end in August like PGA tour? With a missed cut this weekend it might be hard for him to work his way into top 30
Old Tom Morris
No. There are 9 more events
Seven Costanza
AG
The difference between getting cut and barely making the cut/finishing near the bottom is pretty minimal in the big scheme of things. He only earned 2.8 points a few weeks ago for finishing 72nd, compared to 75 points for finishing T8th last week. He's 79 points behind #30 right now. A high finish at some point would go a long way (500 for a win, 300 for 2nd, 190 for 3rd).
GigEmJake17
AG
I saw this course and layout and knew it wouldn't suit him or his game. The next couple weeks will be better.

Going to need a high finish though as the schedule somewhat winds down and it becomes crunch time. Especially for being just outside the top 30. A win or runner up would do the trick and all but guarantee a card.
NColoradoAG
GigEmJake17 said:

I saw this course and layout and knew it wouldn't suit him or his game.

It's not necessarily a bombers course with the altitude and some of the bunker placement, but it still favors long hitters. It's been a dry summer in Northern Colorado so I assume the native areas aren't all that bad unless you get real squirrelly. Haven't played it yet this year. The green complexes can penalize you harshly if you miss short sided. Tough uphill chips into fast greens especially with how hot it'll get.
GigEmJake17
AG
NColoradoAG said:

GigEmJake17 said:

I saw this course and layout and knew it wouldn't suit him or his game.

It's not necessarily a bombers course with the altitude and some of the bunker placement, but it still favors long hitters. It's been a dry summer in Northern Colorado so I assume the native areas aren't all that bad unless you get real squirrelly. Haven't played it yet this year. The green complexes can penalize you harshly if you miss short sided. Tough uphill chips into fast greens especially with how hot it'll get.
yeah his short game has been what has killed him this year and that's what I saw about this course that made me think that. The distance too, but his short game (mostly putting) will be the make or break for getting his card this year.
Buck Compton
AG
Aggie369 said:

Would have to see where he was green side

Could have been in 3 foot rough or on a big slope
It wasn't that bad of a position. He wasn't short sided. I mean, one of his shots out of the rough went 4 inches. It was a mental collapse unfortunately. Even if it was native area with super long grass, you have to be able to advance it further than that.

AggieViking15
AG
Yikes
jja79
AG
Looks like he needs a 65 today to make the cut according to the projected cut line of -3. He's at +4.
McGibblets
AG
Sam playing some great golf so far this weekend. Currently one shot off the lead, but some guys near the top of the leader board still have not teed off for the day, so will be interesting to see where the leaders sit going into the weekend
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Off to a very good start Thurs and Fri this week T10.
GigEmJake17
AG
One off the lead.

Just had an incredible save. Went into the water. Took the penalty. Got up and down from 190 out with a 21 footer drained for par to stay one off.
clobby
AG
2 off the lead going into Sunday. Gig em' Sam
FriscoKid
AG
Has he gotten a top 5 finish yet in KF? He's in a great spot to add a lot of points tomorrow to getting his card for next year.
GigEmJake17
AG
Nope. Two top tens. Would vault him into the top 30!
FriscoKid
AG
Sam still 2 back though 7 and tied for 4th. Maybe he can pick up another one on 8 which is a birdie hole.
FriscoKid
AG
Sam missed birdie chances on 8&9. 9 was only a 6' putt.
GigEmJake17
AG
FriscoKid said:

and now a brutal 3 putt bogey from inside 20...
FriscoKid
AG
GigEmJake17 said:

FriscoKid said:

and now a brutal 3 putt bogey from inside 20...

Pretty bad 3 holes there. Hope he calms down and still has a good finish.
FriscoKid
AG
Birdie 15 and back to a tie for 2nd.
Seven Costanza
AG
The difference between finishing 2nd and 3rd is huge in terms of points.
FriscoKid
AG
He needs to birdie 17 or 18 for second place. Another good tee shot at 17 though.
FriscoKid
AG
Par on 17. Still tied for 2nd.
FriscoKid
AG
346 yd bomb off the tee at 18. 190 left.
Aggie369
AG
Pga tour app is delayed

But driver 346 down the middle on par 5 #18

8 feet for birdie

Made par
FriscoKid
AG
He's going to end up 3rd.
FriscoKid
AG
Up to #26 on the point list.
GigEmJake17
AG
Man a birdie towards the end would have been great! But a great bounce back after his outing last week and first top 3!
FriscoKid
AG
He's off to another good start this wee. Just dropped a 36' birdie putt. -3 thru 8 holes.
GigEmJake17
AG
Not so hot back 9... bogey after missing a 3 footer. Back to -3
MAROON
AG
-4 for the day. Tied for 25th. These KF tourneys are ridiculous as far has how low they go. need harder courses.
clobby
AG
I would imagine a lot of PGA Tour pros wouldn't make it on the KFT. You have to have 4 low 60s to compete most weeks. I feel the new talent coming out is significantly better than the past.
powerbelly
AG
clobby said:

I would imagine a lot of PGA Tour pros wouldn't make it on the KFT. You have to have 4 low 60s to compete most weeks. I feel the new talent coming out is significantly better than the past.
I disagree. I think most tour pros would win 4-6 time a year and be top 10 on the KFT.
Kansas Kid
powerbelly said:

clobby said:

I disagree. I think most tour pros would win 4-6 time a year and be top 10 on the KFT.

Given a large chunk of the pros came from the KFT to get their card and even the best KFT players only win once or twice a year,, I think you are a little aggressive in your estimate for pros not names Scottie, Ludwig, or Xander.

That said, I agree with your idea that they would easily make it on the KFT as shown by the fact they came from that tour.
GigEmJake17
AG
My only complaint, well not really complaint, but just something I've observed with the KFT is it doesn't seem to reward consistency as much as it does winning or top 3s. Which I get it and it's probably necessary to give that amount of points for winning, but some guys in top 30 have won once and that's it. Other guys haven't but have better overall and more consistent finishes but are still behind. I think it's probably as fair as it can be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.