***** The Masters *****

148,361 Views | 2255 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lazuras_dc
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure the money is distributed as if everyone finished one place higher.

Second place gets first place money
Third place gets second place money

Hopefully second place at least takes his crew to a nice dinner.
mavsfan4ever
AG
zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

The Masters and CBS coverage is laughable.

- They pretend that the internet doesn't exist

- The early coverage on Paramount+ looked like it was captured on cell phones, bad quality

- Do they not have enough cameras/cellphones for regular coverage? The featured groups gets old after 2-3 minutes.

- Sam Bennett and Phil Mickelson (featured groups PGA vs. LIV politics) don't seem to exist

- Jim Nance is a cure for insomnia

- Per NOAA, August has had only half an inch of rain today. They seem poorly prepared

- Butler Cabin/Masters officials are stuck in some Pleasantville 1955 time capsule.

Ha this dude ripped Jim nantz, easily top 5 best sports voice and commentator of all time. Even if your other points had been valid, you'd lose everyone with that single insanely terrible take. And your other points were trash too as a bonus.

Not getting into the other stuff but Jim nantz is awful. I can't stand him on anything. I honestly don't understand how anyone likes him unless they like listening to cheeseball lines he makes up the week before over and over again.
EKUAg
AG
aginlakeway said:

EKUAg said:

aginlakeway said:

Law Hall 69-72 said:

I guess you don't realize that the Golf Channel doesn't have their own equipment. They use the equipment of whichever network is also covering the tournament.

Also, my son-in-law is over the technical end of the telecasts as well as technology development for CBS Sports and has won three Emmy Awards for innovation at the Masters over the last few years, so not everybody agrees with you. But, I'll be sure and text him tonight and let him know that DueMu isn't satisfied, so tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

Great post.

I was wondering if someone else was going to address his ridiculous statement. Because as a former Golf Channel employee, what do I know about broadcasting golf on TV.

Honest question. Am I right in thinking all the LPGA coverage uses NBC Sports equipment since Golf Channel has been rolled into NBC Sports?

Correct. Or rented from 3rd parties.

Thanks. FYI, I got to play a few holes with Brian Hammons a few years back. Met him when my oldest did a visit to Guerin Catholic HS in Carmel. His daughter played golf there and he helped coach. Good person based on all my interactions with him.
zgolfz85
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

- The early coverage on Paramount+ looked like it was captured on cell phones, bad quality

- Do they not have enough cameras/cellphones for regular coverage? The featured groups gets old after 2-3 minutes.

- Sam Bennett and Phil Mickelson (featured groups PGA vs. LIV politics) don't seem to exist

- Per NOAA, August has had only half an inch of rain today. They seem poorly prepared

- Butler Cabin/Masters officials are stuck in some Pleasantville 1955 time capsule.

Ha this dude ripped Jim nantz, easily top 5 best sports voice and commentator of all time. Even if your other points had been valid, you'd lose everyone with that single insanely terrible take. And your other points were trash too as a bonus.

Not getting into the other stuff but Jim nantz is awful. I can't stand him on anything. I honestly don't understand how anyone likes him unless they like listening to cheeseball lines he makes up the week before over and over again.

I didn't realize there were people on this planet that didn't like Jim Nantz.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He has his moments of cringe, but 99% of the time, he's the pro of pros. Knowledgeable. Smooth. I think maybe some just have fatigue from him because he calls so many sports and key games
Bondag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

He was great in HIMYM on the perfect week
powerbelly
AG
zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

I don't care for nantz. Especially his cheesy one liner at the end of the tournament
Bunk Moreland
powerbelly said:

zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

I don't care for nantz. Especially his cheesy one liner at the end of the tournament

There are extremely well known broadcasters who cringe at Nantz and his planning for the iconic calls. I happen to like him enough but I definitely understand and sometimes agree with the annoyances.
_lefraud_
AG
Nantz definitely has his cringe moments, like his "thanks for being my friend" after his last final four game Monday night. But I know what I'm getting with Nantz, and I'm ok with it.
whisperingbill
I just learned something. If you're f'ing up at the masters, they punch your pass. Three punches and your thrown out. I had a friend who got his pass punched twice today!!! I'm thinking that thing needs framing and hung on the wall!!!
Aggie369
AG
Was he running with his hat backwards? That's 2 strikes
Mr.Bond
AG
whisperingbill said:

I just learned something. If you're f'ing up at the masters, they punch your pass. Three punches and your thrown out. I had a friend who got his pass punched twice today!!! I'm thinking that thing needs framing and hung on the wall!!!

Details
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

whisperingbill
whisperingbill said:

Short version:
Friend is in line at the concession stand. Two guys start laughing when they post Sam's second bogey,and proceed to talk **** about him. My friend says something to him, like you don't know him so you shouldn't talk about him like that. One of the guys say's something else about Sam and Texas A&M, and that he can't wait to tell his friends how he got to see him fall apart in person at the Masters. My friend then tells him that he's going to get to add, "and then I got my ass whipped at the masters" to the story. ... Thats when he got two punches on his pass and told he was oh so close to being thrown out. Three punches and your out......Yes I have Friends at the masters like this.
MAROON
AG
That's worth getting two punches.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
powerbelly said:

zgolfz85 said:

DukeMu said:

Kim Jong Un winging the Masters…
"A Supreme Leader, Indeed!"
Spaceship
AG
Annnnnddd there it is…Tiger withdraws.
45-70Ag
AG
Nantz doesn't bother me, he seems to genuinely love the sport he is covering and doesn't have an agenda. Him and Lundquist were two of my favorites.
birdman
Spaceship said:

Annnnnddd there it is…Tiger withdraws.
Least surprising news ever. He's already DFL and has about 30 holes to play? No chance.
birdman
whisperingbill said:

whisperingbill said:

Short version:
Friend is in line at the concession stand. Two guys start laughing when they post Sam's second bogey,and proceed to talk **** about him. My friend says something to him, like you don't know him so you shouldn't talk about him like that. One of the guys say's something else about Sam and Texas A&M, and that he can't wait to tell his friends how he got to see him fall apart in person at the Masters. My friend then tells him that he's going to get to add, "and then I got my ass whipped at the masters" to the story. ... Thats when he got two punches on his pass and told he was oh so close to being thrown out. Three punches and your out......Yes I have Friends at the masters like this.
Story would have been better if they landed two punches on somebody's nose.
Big Al 1992
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
45-70Ag said:

Nantz doesn't bother me, he seems to genuinely love the sport he is covering and doesn't have an agenda. Him and Lundquist were two of my favorites.

Right. He'll have a cheesy one-liner at the very end of an event, but the main thing i like about Nantz is that - other than that comment when it's over - is that the actual broadcast is never about him. He's actually low key, decently insightful, etc. Refreshing in an industry where Gus Johnson gets gigs all year. Or Joe Buck who is a guy that will definitely bring an agenda to a broadcast
1872walker
I hate that Tiger is hurt, as a healthy and competitive Tiger is great for the game. But given his position on the leaderboard and the amount of attention the media gives him regardless of leaderboard position, I'm glad to hear this.

He keeps his streak of making the cut at the Masters alive, and we get to see more golf.
El_duderino
He just needs to fully retire. Nothing left to prove and not worth it with all of his injuries
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't see him as a guy that will stick around playing these events when he doesn't think he has any chance to win. Barring more injury than he already has, I think we may see him for 1-2 more Masters (and other majors) and then call it a career

Faldo was 48 when he played his last Masters. He knew he didn't have the game to win it anymore and wasn't gonna just keep showing up
45-70Ag
AG
I kind of hate that, but I understand he's not the kind of guy to go out there and parade himself around hoping to make the cut.
birdman
Two shot swing in first five minutes. Awesome.

It ALWAYS comes down to 12, 13, and 15 on Sunday at the Masters. And the leaders will play those critical holes twice. Anybody that calls this a two horse race is naive.

Half-assed par putt from Bennett.
1872walker
That was not an easy putt. You can't really call a missed 7' downhill slider at Augusta "half-assed".
DannyDuberstein
AG
On the brightside, he does keep making cuts here so i expect to keep seeing him back as long as he keeps doing that. And it's not all that difficult of a cut to make compared to other events due to the small field and number of spare amateurs (Sam clearly excluded!) and old farts that are cut fodder every year. Realistically just have to outplay about 20-25% of the legit types
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, shake off that bogey Sam. You earned that yesterday in the ****ty conditions, not with that putt.
Sea Speed
AG
Lol Canada goose sounds on the broadcast
98Ag99Grad
AG
Would like to see one of the -5 guys post -8 and make it a 3 man race. With the cold and wind don't think a super low number is out there but maybe 68 or so is possible round 4.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sam grinding pretty hard. Maybe some over-grinding
CCred92
AG
Nice birdie Sam.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes!!! Draino to recover form that pitch
Big Al 1992
AG
What a putt! Gig'em!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.