Saudi Golf League

280,037 Views | 3963 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by AgLA06
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's all about individual perspective, but I disagree with calling the product crap, and it's actually a little ridiculous imo.

This was their first event, and they already had some enjoyable characteristics over typical tour broadcasts (frequency of shots, etc.). Plus I didn't expect the field to play their best considering all the side show drama connecting to the event.

Even with Charl running away with it, it was a good starting point. If they focus on adjusting the viewer experience as necessary going forward, it'll just get better.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It needs a lot more talent. That will make or break it.
powerbelly
AG
I thought someone did the analysis and they show about the same number of shots as a pga broadcast
jonj101
I did that randomly on the other thread on the first day and posted it. Then I did it again yesterday without posting and LIV was way ahead. Didn't do it today.

Admittedly, some of that is influenced by commercials and the 'Don't Blink' feature of LIV. But more shots are more shots.
powerbelly
AG
Gotcha. I only remembered day 1
JCA1
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

If I'm LIV I throw the kitchen sink at guys like Cam Smith, Jon Rahm, Hideki, Sam Burns, and Morikawa. Top 10-15 players in the world still young. I don't ever see guys like Rory, Speith or JT jumping. The PGAT is trotting Rory and JT out for every pre-tournament press conference they have to tell you how stupid this thing is anyway. It will never succeed without better players. There's a reason minor league baseball isn't on tv.

What do you consider the kitchen sink? They're already offering guys 8 and 9 figure deals. I'm sure Rahm has already been offered in the neighborhood of 200 mill.
98Ag99Grad
AG
$150M or more for each of those guys. I'd pay Rahm and Colin more than Phil. Let's see how deep those pockets are.
JCA1
AG
If the DJ and Bryson numbers are accurate, they've most likely already been offered that.
98Ag99Grad
AG
You may be right but they need to make another run at them or this thing won't last too long.
Aggie369
AG
DJ ended up getting more than 150
jonj101
And time will tell if they do get that talent. It won't be decided after week 1, or maybe even after the first year/season. And apparently, the Sauds have enough money to throw at this for a while. So it'll come down to how long they want to make it rain versus how long top talent wants to hold out.
jj9000
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It needs a lot more talent. That will make or break it.

I'm not so sure of this perspective. I think folks are viewing this through the traditional business lens. Company/Product must make money, else they go out of business. What if the backers of LIV are considering this a PR business expense?

BTW...I still can't believe that DAL raked in $120K for 54 holes, and didn't break 75. There's got to be guys on the KF Tour and inside the Top 100 PGA that are looking at that and considering their options.
powerbelly
AG
If no one watches or cares there isn't a pr benefit
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right, and like I said on the last page, while it's an uninteresting crap field for now, that could change. Depends on how many $100+ mill checks the Saudis are willing to hand out. I will say though that at these prices, I'm kind of surprised they haven't been more successful in getting more names already. Some crazy money rumored which makes me wonder how much is true and how long the payment terms are
Aggie369
AG
They are 100% trying to make money
tommyjohn
First place at PGA stop this week gets $1.875 million.

Schwarzel cashed for $4 mil.

By the second USA event we will be surprised by how many guys are playing for LIV.

98Ag99Grad
AG
PGAT in no way can compete with the money in this current setup. If the lawsuits go the way of LIV, which could be years down the road, the golfing landscape will be changed forever.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
tommyjohn said:

First place at PGA stop this week gets $1.875 million.

Schwarzel cashed for $4 mil.

By the second USA event we will be surprised by how many guys are playing for LIV.

Plus another 750k for being on the winning team,
Sick money.
jja79
AG
I thought this was a pretty good read .

https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/liv-golf-invitational-at-centurion-ben-coley-reflections-on-saudi-arabia-backed-golf-tournament/201425
Alta
AG
What happens when the geopolitical landscape changes and Saudi Arabia and the US Govt no longer get along?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Alta said:

What happens when Saudi Arabia and the US Govt no longer get along?

We let them ram jets in to buildings and kill journalists so for us to not like them something really bad would have to happen and I'm guessing golf won't matter then.
98Ag99Grad
AG
jja79 said:

I thought this was a pretty good read .

https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/liv-golf-invitational-at-centurion-ben-coley-reflections-on-saudi-arabia-backed-golf-tournament/201425

Yeah not making it through the first few paragraphs because they're saying the same bullsht about SA that can be applied to China but no one does it. Articles like that are a waste of time

And I'll add this whollier than thou attitude is pathetic. There is a concerted effort in the media to take this league down. Shipnuck got marching orders from the PGAT to release what he had and everyone after him has had it out for LIV. we know the players are only in it for the money. We know SA sucks. So what? I can watch or not.
jja79
AG
Actually it's a pretty thorough analysis of the golf.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Disagree. You post alot on the golf forum and I respect your opinion but that's a hit piece, plain and simple. That guy couldn't find anything positive to say if he tried.
t - cam
AG
jja79 said:

It's a thorough analysis if you only want to focus on the negatives.
98Ag99Grad
AG
t - cam said:

jja79 said:

It's a thorough analysis if you only want to focus on the negatives.

Bingo.
JYDog90
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

PGAT in no way can compete with the money in this current setup. If the lawsuits go the way of LIV, which could be years down the road, the golfing landscape will be changed forever.

This is where I am. I can't figure out the end game. If we end up with some type of merger, a la ABA/NBA or AFL/NFL, the PGA side can never match the money because there's no logic, nor market value, to it. It seems like these prices are simply unsustainable.

We've just seen what the market thinks of the value of the tv contract as they signed a new one last year. How does a new league with the same guys playing the same game justify 10x or 20x in a new media contract?

I watched about 15 minutes on Thursday and I didn't like it. A few reasons:

-with shotgun starts, while you get to see a lot more shots, practically every one is recorded and not live.

-there's no context, it's just a bunch of golf shots. No drama

-it's not really any more access to players during the round. You can't hear convos or any of that.
jja79
AG
What was positive about the golf in this event?
t - cam
AG
jja79 said:

What was positive about the golf in this event?

I thought the broadcast was quite good. I thought the shotgun start was a fun format.
WhoopN06
DannyDuberstein said:

AgLA06 said:

You sure can't seem to stop talking about it.

Okay? It finally coming into existence is big news in the golf world. But I watched about 45 minutes Thursday, maybe 20 yesterday, about 5 today because the product is clearly crap. At least for now. Gonna need a lot more $100 million checks.

And probably watched 0 minutes of whatever boring ass stop the PGA Tour was at this week
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, a leaderboard with Rory, Finau, and JT. Boring
mts6175
AG
Willy Wonka said:

98Ag99Grad said:

This is where I am. I can't figure out the end game. If we end up with some type of merger, a la ABA/NBA or AFL/NFL, the PGA side can never match the money because there's no logic, nor market value, to it. It seems like these prices are simply unsustainable.

We've just seen what the market thinks of the value of the tv contract as they signed a new one last year. How does a new league with the same guys playing the same game justify 10x or 20x in a new media contract?

I watched about 15 minutes on Thursday and I didn't like it. A few reasons:

-with shotgun starts, while you get to see a lot more shots, practically every one is recorded and not live.

-there's no context, it's just a bunch of golf shots. No drama

-it's not really any more access to players during the round. You can't hear convos or any of that.
Agree. I think this is going to go the way of the XFL. And I don't think this ends in a merger. I think it just dies. Why would the PGA consider it? It's not like a football conference adding teams to gain viewers, LIV brings nothing to the table that the PGA doesn't already have. Replays on YouTube are only going to go so far. This thing will be dead in a couple years.
bagger05
AG
Very hard to parachute into success on something like this. The interest in the PGA Tour has evolved over decades.

I think they made a mistake in swinging so hard right out of the gate. I think had they decided to create a single tournament where you treated all the participants, caddies, and families like kings and offered crazy high purses that could've gotten "the camel's nose under the tent" so to speak.

Then once everyone was hooked on it say "what if we did three or four of these a year?"
JCA1
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, a leaderboard with Rory, Finau, and JT. Boring

Apparently, all the guys who hang out on the entertainment board just to say "that musician/movie/tv show sucks" have migrated over here.
Forum Troll
AG
So CBS just spent 10 minutes for the commissioner to complain about LIV golf. Played about 3 shots during that time.
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.