Saudi Golf League

280,016 Views | 3963 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by AgLA06
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also the Adam Scott press conference for yesterday was pretty telling to me. Seems like he's all in from his responses imo?
jja79
AG
The casual fan doesn't know the difference in Briney Baird and Henrik Stenson. I really don't think other than once in a blue moon casual fans watch golf.
JCA1
AG
Aggie369 said:

Getting some info from current tour players that have current offers

Big name guys are definitely going to jump, they are setting teams and "team captains"... some guys are being offered equity. They have A, B, C, and D players for each team. Those designations are based off of world rankings. If they leave the tour they can still play in all 4 majors. No cuts, last place is guaranteed 100k pay check. They also get a contract for 3 years to play then things can go to "relegation" and teams can get new guys. The team aspect is similar to formula 1....they still compete individually but there will be a team component with points as well.

One benefit is that the players that will join will be highly ranked so the guys on Saudi tour will earn a lot of world ranking points when competing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff....somethings can't be shared because non disclosures have been signed but this thing sounds like it's happening and lots of money on the table. There is some info about the teams that can't be shared but everything I've heard sounds pretty cool.

Will be interesting to see how PGA responds to counter. Telling them they will be banned isn't gonna phase most of these people. PGA up the pay? PGA cut down to 50 player events? PGA not give away so much money to charity? PGA just becomes the new korn ferry tour?

It could all collapse and never happen but it looks like there is enough interest and $$ that it's gonna be a thing

You have it on good authority that the world golf rankings are going to factor in these events?
jonj101
Of all the people in the world that enjoy golf, only a small percentage of them will actually watch it on TV. Of that small percentage, if you remove Tiger, many of them don't care. As mentioned above, casual golf fans are not tuning in every week to the common tour stops.

This actually could be another angle the Saudis work to undermine the existing model. We've talked on this forum before how flawed golf broadcasts are. If they make them more engaging and exciting to the viewer, they could potentially gather more eyeballs with a 40 man field than a common tour stop - even if a lot of those guys in the field aren't high in OWGR.

98Ag99Grad
AG
Yeah if they get world ranking points and no issues playing in majors game over. Big name guys will jump for sure.
JCA1
AG
Interesting that 2 of the younger guys that are mentioned are Bryson and Reed. They are probably 2 of the least liked guys on tour by both their fellow players and crowds. Wonder if that factored in.
jja79
AG
You mean showing 9 commercials followed by 2 tap ins and then Jim Nantz talking to some mega rich guy about how much he loves charity before the next 9 commercials isn't good TV?
Aggie369
AG
I do

I'm sure this stuff can change quickly but they are doing something with the Asian tour I think...partnering or purchasing... forget the details but a lot of these guys are playing for world ranking points and it was an important factor on their decision
Aggie369
AG
It's strictly money...and lots of money
JCA1
AG
Aggie369 said:

It's strictly money...and lots of money
I probably agree with you on Reed. But I get the sense Bryson cares deeply what people think about him. While he no doubt likes the money, I suspect the idea of not getting heckled by the gallery (to the point the PGA told people they would be tossed if they screamed "Brooksie!" at him) factored in. But, just a guess on my part and we'll never know because he would never admit it even if true.
JCA1
AG
jja79 said:

You mean showing 9 commercials followed by 2 tap ins and then Jim Nantz talking to some mega rich guy about how much he loves charity before the next 9 commercials isn't good TV?

I thought is was a show about the Aflac duck and the golf was the commercials.
Unemployed
AG
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/33312893/phil-mickelson-deal-saudis-pressure-pga-tour
jja79
AG
You forgot ED treatments. Some episodes of it's show are briefly interrupted by golf too.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The drama makes it's all better. I wish the baseball players were threatening to go to the Japanese league rather than this lockout nonsense
JCA1
AG
jja79 said:

You forgot ED treatments. Some episodes of it's show are briefly interrupted by golf too.

Throw that football through that tire swing!
Thisguy1
powerbelly
AG
If that's the type of guy they are getting then I don't see how they will maintain an audience.
Aggie369
AG
They are attempting to get 4 types of players

A,b,c, and d

This isn't actual numbers they are gonna use but it's similar

A player is top 10

B player is top 20

C player is top 50

D player is outside top 50

Buford T. Justice
AG
I've always liked Phil, but him getting loud and demonstrative on this subject is a joke. His competitive days on the PGA tour are over. That circuit is a young man's game, and you can tell by his results that it's not going to turn around. So sure, talk a big game about leaving, stay relevant and cash in.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Speaking of betting, that is an interesting tie in.
I'magine (inset name) stepping up to the tee and the audience has a collective $50,000 in the kitty, saying that you'll bogey or worse. And the player has the option to buy-in and wager against the audience.

Marauder Blue 6
AG
Basically, this is just a tour for the not quite ready for Champions Tour players who realize that their best days are likely behind them and they just want to cash in vs. playing for history. I wonder if Ryan Palmer will jump over to it. It seems made for guys like him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Basically, this is just a tour for the not quite ready for Champions Tour players who realize that their best days are likely behind them and they just want to cash in vs. playing for history. I wonder if Ryan Palmer will jump over to it. It seems made for guys like him.

Which is going to result in some boring ass tournaments if they end up with a handful of elites, a handful of wannabes just there for the $, and quite a few old-timers. A relative few will dominate it and many tournaments will have a boring final round
98Ag99Grad
AG
I mean, can't really say that if guys like DJ, Bryson, Fleetwood, even Kokrak and Scott go over. The more I read the more I think some really big names are going and it's going to be shocking to the tour.
tommyjohn
Phil must need the cash and realize his option for a large payday are small.

Aggie369
AG
That is not who they are getting interest from...
Aggie369
AG
The tour knows who are getting deals

It's big names and lots of money
DGrimesAg92
powerbelly said:

I doubt I will watch.

Several US events with no cuts, HUGE purses, 40 players each event, top PGA Tour players are already silently ready to jump ship,…..why wouldn't you watch? Screw the PGA…..they're arrogant and very ****ty the way they treat the players.
Baby Billy
AG
Phil basically came out and said today that this is all a ploy to get more from the PGA Tour.

I just don't see this thing happening.

There's too much risk for the players that did leave. If it does happen, the PGA Tour is gonna come out as the winner in this whole thing, and each player that leaves is banned for life.
Baby Billy
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I can agree with this. Guys like Mickelson, Scott, Garca who have been on the tour 20+ years and are already on their last few years playing for the tour anyways.
jja79
AG
What's the ****ty way the Tour treats players? Honest question because I'm not one.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Phil Mickelson and his $400 million net worth is just above the Chinese kid making his shoes on the "exploited by the man" scale
Aggie369
AG
I think the C level player on the team is guaranteed 45 million over 3 years....and that is if they place dead last in every tournament
AustinCountyAg
Aggie369 said:

I think the C level player on the team is guaranteed 45 million over 3 years....and that is if they place dead last in every tournament
thats the kicker in the whole deal. For the Palmers, Kokraks, etc type of player who can win on tour, but not consistently they can make a crap ton of money very quickly in this league. Which from the outside looking in seems like it would be super hard to turn down, especially considering the limited amount of tournaments.

My concern is all these guys agree to do this and cash in on the guarnteed money what will happen to the quality of the golf? They already know their family is set for life soon as they sign up for the league. The desire to practice would surely go to **** and the level of golf would surely drop?

JJ mentioned it earlier but the willingness to grind and compete is what makes the PGA tournament fun to watch (last week WMO no name Korn ferry dude outa nowhere with a chance to win). I can see this Suadi league lacking that hardcore competition. I mean will they want to win? Sure, but they damn sure won't lose any sleep over missing that final putt like they do now.
Aggie369
AG
Agree with a lot of this

Though I think the guys in contention will always care....regardless of how much money they currently have.
JCA1
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Aggie369 said:

thats the kicker in the whole deal. For the Palmers, Kokraks, etc type of player who can win on tour, but not consistently they can make a crap ton of money very quickly in this league. Which from the outside looking in seems like it would be super hard to turn down, especially considering the limited amount of tournaments.

My concern is all these guys agree to do this and cash in on the guarnteed money what will happen to the quality of the golf? They already know their family is set for life soon as they sign up for the league. The desire to practice would surely go to **** and the level of golf would surely drop?

JJ mentioned it earlier but the willingness to grind and compete is what makes the PGA tournament fun to watch (last week WMO no name Korn ferry dude outa nowhere with a chance to win). I can see this Suadi league lacking that hardcore competition. I mean will they want to win? Sure, but they damn sure won't lose any sleep over missing that final putt like they do now.
I'm sure the money might impact some guys, but couldn't you have said the same thing about the PGA for the last couple decades? I get that PGA money is not guaranteed, but pretty much all the guys on tour you've heard of have banked enough over the years that they never have to worry about money again.
Last Page
Page 2 of 114

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.