Tour Ball vs Mid-Priced softer Urethane Ball

7,066 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bagger05
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thoughts?
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Aggie369
AG
I always get blasted for this but friends who play D1 and/or play on tour seem to agree

Premium balls aren't worth it if u don't have consistent solid contact.

Investing in premium golf balls before you're a single digit HC is questionable IMO
WhoopN06
I agree with 369. I'm also not sure Urethane is worth it if you don't have a good short game.

aggiegolfer03
AG
Just play pro V1 refurbs or reruns. 3-5 yards off the tee and a touch of spin and durability is the WORST that the difference will be according to tests.

I shred the covers on most mid priced balls I've played in the past, especially value brand urethane cover balls.
Sooner Born
This is anecdotal at best but on courses I play consistently, a premium ball flies further. Also, my ability to get it to check up around the green is worth the price of admission given my stubborn insistence to miss on the short side.

I'd rather skip a round of golf to save money than finding incremental savings in an inferior ball.
Aggie369
AG
Curious what your HC is?
Sooner Born
I would guess about 15. I have been as low as a 4 but that was a while ago. So I do know how to hit a golf ball reasonably well but I am anything but consistent.

Essentially on any shot I could hit something really good or so bad you want to quit. And even still I find value in the premium ball because the good shots are that much better.
G Martin 87
AG
This video does a better job showing the effect the ball has on flight. Lower ball flight just due to 800 more spin from the cover, no shaft or club changes necessary.

BTW, the compression numbers in the OP video are for the core, not the overall ball compression. The Tour Response is softer than a ProV1, but it's not a low compression marshmallow like a Callaway Supersoft or Wilson Duo The compression on the Tour Response is above 70. The big difference between the Tour Response (urethane) and the Soft Response (surlyn) is the cover. That's the key, not the compression.

Here's another good watch. Three different mid level balls with three different ball flights/spin profiles under the same swing and club conditions. (Note that the project(a) is the older version of the Tour Response.)

seaverhall10
AG
I've played Snell MTB golf balls for the last 3 years, played Prov1x before and I can't tell a difference.. neither can any of my friends that I give a sleeve to. They are about $28 a dozen and the best deal you can get on a good quality ball.
NColoradoAG
seaverhall10 said:

I've played Snell MTB golf balls for the last 3 years, played Prov1x before and I can't tell a difference.. neither can any of my friends that I give a sleeve to. They are about $28 a dozen and the best deal you can get on a good quality ball.
Yep. I didnt watch any of those videos. I just wanted to say that anyone sleeping on Snell MTB's is really missing out.
G Martin 87
AG
NColoradoAG said:

seaverhall10 said:

Yep. I didnt watch any of those videos. I just wanted to say that anyone sleeping on Snell MTB's is really missing out.
They've been my favorite ball this year too, and I'm a 22.
Thisguy1
I played the Snell MTB-X the other day and stopped after 4 holes. It was my first round in a while, but my first shot with my Pro-Vx was a striped 3 wood off the tee so I didn't switch back. I'm excited about them though. I'll play them again once I get a few rounds in me this year.
AgEngr16
AG
+1 on the Snell MTB-X. Hell of a ball at an even better price. Better durability in my ~2 years playing them than the ProV line.

I think most people have a mental hang up on them because the Snell name. Third party tests consistently show they perform as well as the "premium" balls.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The average golfer won't score any different playing a range ball.
dodger02
AG
I agree because the distribution of handicaps is not normal. It's weighted way, way, way to the right.
mike_ags_fan12
This thread has convinced me to not spend more then $25/dozen units I get to shooting under 90
E
AG
I'm intrigued by this new Bridgestone E12 Contact ball... I'm a fan of their E6/E12 balls so I'm gonna give this a try when it comes out.

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/balls/e12-series/e12-contact
Obi Wan Ginobili
Anecdotal, but I tried the TM Tour Response yesterday and hit some amazing shots. Admittedly, I've been working on a lot of swing changes and my swing felt better than it has in a long time, but the ball performed as advertised.

I hit two drives low on the heel (which is where the ball is mostly like to spin the most) and they didn't spin off the planet. I played from some very short tees and drove two separate greens, both of which the ball landed on the green and stopped.

I was able to back up a couple wedges, and I had two 5 irons into par 5s, both of which had zero roll out on the green. For a "lower spin" ball, I was able to generate plenty of spin.

The ball also felt way softer than the TP5/TP5X line.
G Martin 87
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Anecdotal, but I tried the TM Tour Response yesterday and hit some amazing shots. Admittedly, I've been working on a lot of swing changes and my swing felt better than it has in a long time, but the ball performed as advertised.

I hit two drives low on the heel (which is where the ball is mostly like to spin the most) and they didn't spin off the planet. I played from some very short tees and drove two separate greens, both of which the ball landed on the green and stopped.

I was able to back up a couple wedges, and I had two 5 irons into par 5s, both of which had zero roll out on the green. For a "lower spin" ball, I was able to generate plenty of spin.

The ball also felt way softer than the TP5/TP5X line.
Tour Response is a great ball. Overall compression is around 70, so it's noticeably softer than TP5/TP5X.
Southside AG
AG
I've been testing balls. I like the tour response but noticed the cover damaged after a few holes. Don't remember blading any shots.

Bridgestone tour b RX are my longest drives on the course but very expensive. When I lose one it definitely hurts, $4/ ball. RXS is a good ball too but that price is steep.

Snell MTB-X are good but don't notice the same pop; however, good spin on the greens. If you buy in bulk they are less than $3/ ball. Probably what I'll play moving forward.

Intrigued by the Taylor made tp5x. Price is high. It gets good reviews on overall performance and performed the best in the my golf spy robot testing when evaluated at different swing speeds.
tandy miller
AG
Troutslime said:

The average golfer won't score any different playing a range ball.

I'd probably do better. Esp over water
FJB
dallasag12
AG
+1 for Snell. Gaming the MTB Black right now after playing pro V1's for years, and I cannot tell a difference. Also messed around with Vice Pro Plus. Felt harder than a pro v1 but not quite as hard as a v1x. Had a nice little pop to it too. Between Vice and Snell I'm not sure I'll ever pay for any tour ball ever again.
E
AG
I've played with the new Bridgestone E12 Contact ball now for about 3 rounds and it's now my new ball. This ball is perfect for a mid handicapper like me. It's the straightest ball I've ever hit off the tee and has a surprising amount of spin around the greens
AggieKO
AG
I'm a hiiigh handicap beginner and play better with premium balls I find. Probably same reason I play better with other peoples clubs.

Golf is weird lol
agsalaska
AG
Aggie369 said:

I always get blasted for this but friends who play D1 and/or play on tour seem to agree

Premium balls aren't worth it if u don't have consistent solid contact.

Investing in premium golf balls before you're a single digit HC is questionable IMO
I will admit I did not read any further than this post.

But I for the most part agree.

BUT!!! Once you can break about 78 or so consistently the ball matters and it matters a lot. It matters as much as any other equipment decision that you make.
JCA1
AG
I don't get very good value out of pro v1s. Seems like I only get about 2 swings out of one before it finds the water or the woods.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Been trying out different balls lately, was as low as 12 in college, been sitting around 17-18 since. I am relatively long driver average about 270, 3 wood around 250 and with a high shot I like to spin it on to the green. Since Covid I've been playing and practice more and am approaching 12 again, here are the balls that play best for me in order

ProV1x
MTBx
MTB
ProV
Avx
ChromeSoft

Tour Response

I have a box of vice balls coming. It may be mental but playing good balls give me more confidence
Trinity Ag
S
For the past couple of years I get 4 dozen ProV1s when Titleist has the 4 for 3 promotion.

That is $36 dozen (including custom monogram). They last me pretty much the whole year since I play a lot of "found" Pro V1s.

There may be comparable balls that are cheaper, but the difference between $36 and $28 a dozen is a mouseturd -- for me you are talking about maybe $1 a round. Maybe $6 a month. Which is a tiny fraction of what I spend to play golf.

I like the spin and feel of Titleists -- but I accept the preference may be psychosomatic.

I played with Srixons for a while, and there were consistently shorter. I play TP5 on occasion, but I find I have a lot more driver spin -- and wayward shots with them.

I'm an 8 hcp at the moment.

Rubble
AG
I don't practice at all. I'm a 9 HC. I mostly play chrome soft X, but they're hard to get right now. I just got 5 dozen MTBx today because I've played them before and I like them.

Just have fun. Golf is better than work.
Broncos
I didn't see much on Vice in this thread. Does anyone play them?
powerbelly
AG
Broncos said:

I didn't see much on Vice in this thread. Does anyone play them?
I tried them but found Snell to be a much better ball for the price.
Broncos
Thanks! I'll have to order some Snell and give them a few rounds.
powerbelly
AG
Trinity Ag said:

For the past couple of years I get 4 dozen ProV1s when Titleist has the 4 for 3 promotion.

That is $36 dozen (including custom monogram). They last me pretty much the whole year since I play a lot of "found" Pro V1s.

There may be comparable balls that are cheaper, but the difference between $36 and $28 a dozen is a mouseturd -- for me you are talking about maybe $1 a round. Maybe $6 a month. Which is a tiny fraction of what I spend to play golf.

I like the spin and feel of Titleists -- but I accept the preference may be psychosomatic.

I played with Srixons for a while, and there were consistently shorter. I play TP5 on occasion, but I find I have a lot more driver spin -- and wayward shots with them.

I'm an 8 hcp at the moment.

This reminded me to check and place an order for another 4 dozen.
mm98
AG
Bridgestone E6
NColoradoAG
Broncos said:

Thanks! I'll have to order some Snell and give them a few rounds.
I think you'll become a convert. Buy the MTB test pack and check out both balls. I've finally settled on the MTB Black. I don't notice much difference off the tee and with full irons, but I definitely chip and putt better with it as it feels softer.

Snell sent out an email today saying that they'll be limiting the quantity on the MTB black to two dozen for a while.

I also really like the Tour Light hat they offer on their website.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.