Tour Ball vs Mid-Priced softer Urethane Ball

7,058 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bagger05
Trinity Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
powerbelly said:

Trinity Ag said:

For the past couple of years I get 4 dozen ProV1s when Titleist has the 4 for 3 promotion.

That is $36 dozen (including custom monogram). They last me pretty much the whole year since I play a lot of "found" Pro V1s.

There may be comparable balls that are cheaper, but the difference between $36 and $28 a dozen is a mouseturd -- for me you are talking about maybe $1 a round. Maybe $6 a month. Which is a tiny fraction of what I spend to play golf.

I like the spin and feel of Titleists -- but I accept the preference may be psychosomatic.

I played with Srixons for a while, and there were consistently shorter. I play TP5 on occasion, but I find I have a lot more driver spin -- and wayward shots with them.

I'm an 8 hcp at the moment.

This reminded me to check and place an order for another 4 dozen.
The Titleist 4 for 3 deal runs thru April 18.
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for this thread. Much needed.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I just ordered a dozen Mizuno RB 566V

Gonna try them on the windy coast.
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

I just ordered a dozen Mizuno RB 566V

Gonna try them on the windy coast.

Like hitting a rock. Hit it with 3 wood, long and short irons and putter.

No bueno

AG
Pro tip...load up on Pro V1xs as Christmas gifts and make them last a year
maroonthrunthru
Best Ball available for ALL swing speeds is TaylorMade
TP5 or TP5X...

Regardless of swing speed... I'm about 90-98, depending on where I am in the round...

I was a devout ProV1X disciple, until I hit the TP5...

Major improvement...
G Martin 87
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

TP5 or TP5X...

Regardless of swing speed... I'm about 90-98, depending on where I am in the round...

Major improvement...
Respectfully disagree. Ball fitting is way more than just swing speed and cover material.
jj9000
AG
G Martin 87 said:

maroonthrunthru said:

TP5 or TP5X...

Major improvement...
Respectfully disagree. Ball fitting is way more than just swing speed and cover material.

It really depends on what someone is looking to gain. If they're looking for distance, softer = slower...so...in that sense, he's right. TP5x is a faster ball than a Srixon Soft Feel...across all swing speeds. This was proven out on Iron Byron / TrackMan tests. If they're looking for soft feel off the club face and irons, TP5x probably won't fit that feel.
G Martin 87
AG
jj9000 said:

G Martin 87 said:

maroonthrunthru said:

TP5 or TP5X...

Major improvement...

It really depends on what someone is looking to gain. If they're looking for distance, softer = slower...so...in that sense, he's right. TP5x is a faster ball than a Srixon Soft Feel...across all swing speeds. This was proven out on Iron Byron / TrackMan tests. If they're looking for soft feel off the club face and irons, TP5x probably won't fit that feel.
True, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that TP5/TP5x is the best ball out of all the balls available, regardless of swing speed. They're great balls for some golfers, but certainly not the best choice for everyone. If the only two balls on the market were the Soft Feel and the TP5, I'd agree.
jj9000
AG
G Martin 87 said:

jj9000 said:

G Martin 87 said:

maroonthrunthru said:

TP5 or TP5X...

Major improvement...

True, but that wasn't the claim. The claim was that TP5/TP5x is the best ball out of all the balls available, regardless of swing speed. They're great balls for some golfers, but certainly not the best choice for everyone. If the only two balls on the market were the Soft Feel and the TP5, I'd agree.

The TP5x is the fastest ball on the market (excluding Snell MTBX) across all swing speeds. Ball speed is arguably the most important metric when evaluating distance. So, if someone swings 85MPH with Driver, the TP5x is going to be faster than all balls on the market (excluding MTBX). I'd someone swings 115MPH with Driver, the TP5x is still the fastest (excluding MTBX).
G Martin 87
AG
So I should be playing Snell MTBx, not TP5x. Thanks for the tip!
NColoradoAG
G Martin 87 said:

So I should be playing Snell MTBx, not TP5x. Thanks for the tip!

A few of us on the board have been beating that drum for a couple years now!
irish pete ag06
AG
Usually get 160ish ball speed on driver. 8 handicap.

I've switched to AVX and I love them. It reduces side spin for me and I just prefer the feel of a softer ball. I lose absolutely zero stopping ability with it.

Another thing is I play 1 length irons... which all have the same club head speed. The AVX seems to gap better and perform better for me. Likely because I'm getting more consistent compression.
bmks270
AG
I found some data online that showed the longest ball off the driver was not the longest ball off of the irons. I think if you are considering distance you should consider the iron distances too.

Being new to golf I've lost 7 balls in 27 holes, so I'm choosing to go with the Taylor Distance+ balls. Two piece with the surlyn cover. I got a dozen of the yellow ones for $12 off of Amazon and I think retail is $14 or $15 normally. I have 1 birdie so far on a par 5 with this ball so I figure it's not the ball, it's the golfer.

Also, the surlyn covers have less spin which will reduce the curve of unintended slices or hooks. I think this could be a benefit of surlyn to new golfers who aren't yet trying to shape shots. But when you hit the ball well enough to shape shots the urethane covers will be a lot better choice because they generate more spin for shot shaping.

The high end balls are also low spin off of the driver, but that is only if you strike it well.
bmks270
AG
Here is a relevant video, feedback on playing a $12 per dozen 2-piece surlyn ball vs. 3 piece urethane balls.

Southside AG
AG
Most balls are similar off driver and mid irons. The differences probably are not noticeable to most golfers. The difference is in the approach, chipping and iron shots around the green. For me, this cost me a stroke yesterday. I almost landed a Bridgestone e6 two piece golf ball in the hole from 100 yards out, divot was an inch from the hole. The ball rolled out another 10ft and I missed the putt. A tour ball, Snell mtb-x, would have stuck and not moved based on me hitting that ball.

I'm to the point to when I start hitting more greens regularly then I will make the switch.
bmks270
AG
Southside AG said:

Most balls are similar off driver and mid irons. The differences probably are not noticeable to most golfers. The difference is in the approach, chipping and iron shots around the green. For me, this cost me a stroke yesterday. I almost landed a Bridgestone e6 two piece golf ball in the hole from 100 yards out, divot was an inch from the hole. The ball rolled out another 10ft and I missed the putt. A tour ball, Snell mtb-x, would have stuck and not moved based on me hitting that ball.

I'm to the point to when I start hitting more greens regularly then I will make the switch.

Do you have enough experience with urethane balls to know?

Me personally I know I don't, There are tons of variables like the overall ball flight, the ball distance, or the green and I don't hit consistently enough to know how the ball will act each time.
G Martin 87
AG
bmks270 said:

Southside AG said:

Do you have enough experience with urethane balls to know?

Me personally I know I don't, There are tons of variables like the overall ball flight, the ball distance, or the green and I don't hit consistently enough to know how the ball will act each time.
I've had similar experiences. My last few rounds I used e6 on some holes where the fairways were very tight with trees and/or steep left-to-right slopes towards trouble, and I needed the extra help shooting straight with reduced spin. But I also had to factor in the extra rollout on my approach shots. On more wide-open holes, I used an MTB. Also a ball that tends to go straight, but with a urethane cover for better spin on approach. It's much easier to hold a green with an MTB than with an e6. Golf is full of tradeoffs. Distance vs control being one of them for some (not all) players and some (not all) course conditions.
Southside AG
AG
I would say, yes the experiences around the green for me would be similar on multiple occasions.
agracer
AG
mike_ags_fan12 said:

This thread has convinced me to not spend more then $25/dozen units I get to shooting under 90

Dicks Sporting Goods has sales all the time. You can get Taylor Made, Calloway and Too Flight for much lower. If you over 20 HC, you're not gaining anything playing balls that are more then $/each.
bagger05
AG
I play the Snell MTBx. Best ball I've played.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.