PXG Irons - Thoughts?

4,676 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rononeill
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Different shaft weights and profiles, marketed in 5gm increments is a VERY different discussion than swingweighting iron clubheads. Shaft EI profiles are a can of different worms, so, I'm going to table that discussion.

From a physics perspective, it makes most sense to put the mass of the iron clubhead directly behind where the ball should be struck. PXG 'fine tuning' screws are closer to the top line, and away from the mass of the iron. Not all that different than PING i200s, or any PING I Series over the last several years. It's just a different way to perimeter weight your irons.

I suppose an argument could be made for PXG's special insert formula being a differentiator, but P790s, TMBs, and i500s do basically the same thing.

Again, I'm not saying PXGs are crap clubs. They aren't. They're just not all that different from the rest of the bunch.

Try to think about PXG in the same context of Club Champion. Club Champion offers a white glove fitting service, they can spine/flow your shafts, and they can swingweight your irons exactly to your specs, all in-house. It's a great experience. But, you can pay for your fitting and specs, and have an OEM build your irons for 1/3 of the cost. At the end of the day, they'll perform the same.
jonj101
Trinity Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

Jjstats08 said:

So....I guess if you think there's no reason to buy pxg unless you're a person that wastes money and snobby things, you must drive like a Nissan Altima or Honda Civic. Surely you didn't just waste money on a nicer car that does the exact same thing as every other car??

Apples to oranges. Nicer vehicles have technology and features cheaper cars don't. Pxg does exactly the same thing the lower cost OEMs can
PXG is the only iron I am aware of that has adjustable perimeter weighting that can be tailored/fit to an individual player.

I don't play PXG (Titleist MB and CB), and don't know how much such refined adjustments really matter in dialing in performance/flight/gapping, but I can understand how they might.

That fit/adjustability is part of what you are paying for.

The guys I know that play them rave about the detail that went into their fitting.

That degree of fine tuning is likely lost on the vast majority of golfers.

Their niche is the 50+ yo golfer with a solid (or at least) consistent swing who has lost clubhead speed & distance, and is willing to pay a premium for a custom fit to maximize what they can get out of their swing.

If some other club manufacturer is selling that service, I'm unaware of it.

Does XXIO target this group as well? Our club pushes them a bit towards folks in that demographic, but I haven't looked into if thats their overall strategy.
JR Ewingford
The few guys here saying they are 8-9 caps and want to double bets because someone plays PXG can feel free to come play against us up here in Ft Worth and be more than happy to have yall make a mortgage payment for us. I know several people who play em. Are they worth the money? No. Do I think they look and feel outstanding ? Yes! Do I care to get into the pissing matches over why someone buys em? Nope.
Trinity Ag
S
jj9000 said:

From a physics perspective, it makes most sense to put the mass of the iron clubhead directly behind where the ball should be struck. PXG 'fine tuning' screws are closer to the top line, and away from the mass of the iron. Not all that different than PING i200s, or any PING I Series over the last several years. It's just a different way to perimeter weight your irons.

Isn't this the fundamental trade-off in club design?

Cavity/Perimeter weighting for more stability on mi****s

vs muscleback to put more mass directly behind the ball?

PXG is selling adjustability, and is able to charge a premium for it. I don't claim it works tremendously well, but it is "a thing" that differentiates their product. That is my only point.

I'll be surprised if more club manufacturers don't offer something similar going forward, assuming they can can around PXG patents.
jj9000
AG
I thing we're saying the same thing, just saying it differently.

Take a look at the cavity of the PING i200 irons.

The small removable insert inside the cavity (closest to the face) is called the CTP, or Custom Tuning Port.

PING uses these CTPs to fine tune their irons (along with tip weights).

Same general customization concept as PXG, PING just markets it a bit differently.

booradley
AG
EwingBarnes said:

The few guys here saying they are 8-9 caps and want to double bets because someone plays PXG can feel free to come play against us up here in Ft Worth and be more than happy to have yall make a mortgage payment for us. I know several people who play em. Are they worth the money? No. Do I think they look and feel outstanding ? Yes! Do I care to get into the pissing matches over why someone buys em? Nope.
THIS....

i play them as well. but never thought that other people were making gross generalizations about my character or ability based on what i irons i'm playing.

and happy to take all comers if you think i'm easy money because i play PXG's...

never thought i'd be disappointed in this texags board. but there's a first for everything....

tomorrow i'm shopping for a white belt. it will look good on my 60 year old body....
mavsfan4ever
AG
Lol wtf at some of these last comments. I hope y'all are both trolling if you are referring to my post. My post was tongue in cheek (partly) because I played with a guy a few weeks ago who had pxgs, the latest and greatest watch gadget, bragged about every nice course he had been to, gave swing tips, etc and shot 90. I'm sure there are a mixture of good players and guys like that playing pxgs. More guys like that than other brands from what I've seen (in my opinion). Hence why I think I'd do well on average betting against them. I'd obviously get slaughtered by the great players who play pxg or any other brand.

I have no clue how you would even think anyone was attacking someone's character on this thread. I guess pxg players take themselves very seriously and don't like any jokes being made at their clubs' expense. Not surprising I guess. I'll update my spreadsheet.

***For the avoidance of doubt, the last comment was also tongue in cheek.
WhoopN06
Just FYI some of the PXG haters are playing in a tournament at the campus course next Saturday, if some of you gamblers want to put your money where your mouth is.

White belts encouraged.

I'm a 31 index but would play any of you at a 15 ALLLLL DAY!
mavsfan4ever
AG
Haha, maybe that's an idea for the next tournament. We can divide into teams based on brands of clubs instead of geographic regions.
Rubble
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Haha, maybe that's an idea for the next tournament. We can divide into teams based on brands of clubs instead of geographic regions.

How is this determined if you have multiple brands in your bag? Do I get to be on the Calloway, TaylorMade and Cleveland teams?
Rubble
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Just FYI some of the PXG haters are playing in a tournament at the campus course next Saturday, if some of you gamblers want to put your money where your mouth is.

White belts encouraged.

I'm a 31 index but would play any of you at a 15 ALLLLL DAY!

I'm wearing my white belt next weekend just to piss everyone who doesn't like them off. I'm a 9 and don't give a ****
WhoopN06
Aren't we all playing our own ball? Very easy to have side bets, even with members of your own team...
Rubble
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Aren't we all playing our own ball? Very easy to have side bets, even with members of your own team...

If we're in the same group and you hit a better shot, I'm playing yours because you get more strokes than me.
WhoopN06
I'm not sure that's exactly how the tournament game works...

Which reminds me what region is everyone from? Is there a hillbilly region? I'm pretty sure that's my region...
Rubble
AG
WhoopN06 said:

I'm not sure that's exactly how the tournament game works...

Which reminds me what region is everyone from? Is there a hillbilly region? I'm pretty sure that's my region...

Well damn.
Enough thread hijack, I'll answer over there (but I'm DFW)
WhoopN06
Was thinking the same my bad.
hunterjr81
I don't have any PXG clubs but I like the naming convention they use. The 0311 irons which is named for the 0311 infantry Rifleman division in the Marines. Parsons was a former marine. Most American clubs out there baby!!
One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
rononeill
I know several folks that have them: some wear white belts and some are really good players. What folks also forget is that a lot of people that play country club golf make really good money. For someone to drop $4k on a set of irons that lasts them a few years versus $1300, isn't a big deal to a lot of folks in the PXG market.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.