PXG Irons - Thoughts?

4,663 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rononeill
B$Weigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into buying some new irons. Any of you play with PXG? What is your review of them?

Just looking for some feedback bc they seem top tier. Any other brands/suggestions you have for blades/muscle backs -- I'm all ears.

TIA
Marauder Blue 6
AG
From what I've heard, buy Titleist, Mizuno, etc and spend the difference on a good coach.
jja79
AG
https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3125258

Hate the commercials

s/Texags Golf Board
Trucker 96
Yeah. I don't think they are any more top tier than sets of Titleist, Mizuno, etc.
Mr.Bond
AG
It's like Rolex vs citizen..... Both tell the time and look good.

It's about status symbols to those who want pxg
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

E
AG
Go get a fitting, tell them you want to test the PXG and compare results to others.
WhoopN06
Have you ever been paired with someone who has PXG clubs? It's definitely a certain type who plays them.
terradactylexpress
E said:

Go get a fitting, tell them you want to test the PXG and compare results to others.
jj9000
AG
Define 'top tier'.

PXGs don't perform any better than PING, Mizuno, Titleist...etc. PXG just costs quite a bit more.

Hit a bunch of irons before purchasing, and I'll bet you see similar numbers with similar shafts.
CyclingAg82
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Really......generalize much?

Mr.Bond
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Just stating facts......Why else would you pay 2 to 3 times as much for an item that performs the exact same as one that cost 2 to 3 times less? Not being a dick but thats the only logical reasoning in my opinion
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

aggiedent
AG
While I agree with your first post, you might want to double check the definition of facts.

The cost is a fact.......the why is your opinion.
Mr.Bond
AG
Its a valid opinion and Id love to hear another rationalization

Its about having something exclusive and "upper echelon" Anything else doesnt make logical sense. Again, its not a big deal but the OP asked and I gave an answer that I have heard from many, not just myself

aggiedent
AG
As I said, I agree with your opinion on why people buy PXG.
powerbelly
AG
jj9000 said:

Define 'top tier'.

PXGs don't perform any better than PING, Mizuno, Titleist...etc. PXG just costs quite a bit more.

Hit a bunch of irons before purchasing, and I'll bet you see similar numbers with similar shafts.

EOT
CyclingAg82
AG
Mr.Bond said:

CyclingAg82 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Just stating facts......Why else would you pay 2 to 3 times as much for an item that performs the exact same as one that cost 2 to 3 times less? Not being a dick but thats the only logical reasoning in my opinion
So what about the fact that they are on sale, only reason I bought the driver, h and putter.

You and the dent are being dicks by painting with a broad brush.

And BTW they are awesome clubs, sound, feel and distance.

Jeez, going to avoid this forum from now on.
Trucker 96
That didnt take much
Mr.Bond
AG
Ah and there it is......

Stick with the cycling board I guess

No one has ever said they weren't good clubs. However there is 100 percent, multiple... just as good options for a fraction of the cost. That is the entire point..

Vaya Con Dios

WhoopN06
My original comment stands proven.
aggiedent
AG
Glock, Yeti, and now PXG owners. Those guys need to form a support group to combat the emotional trauma of when other people say mean things about them.
WhoopN06
Hey **** you. How dare you compare my glock and yeti love to PXG!
Jjstats08
So....I guess if you think there's no reason to buy pxg unless you're a person that wastes money and snobby things, you must drive like a Nissan Altima or Honda Civic. Surely you didn't just waste money on a nicer car that does the exact same thing as every other car??
Mr.Bond
AG
Jjstats08 said:

So....I guess if you think there's no reason to buy pxg unless you're a person that wastes money and snobby things, you must drive like a Nissan Altima or Honda Civic. Surely you didn't just waste money on a nicer car that does the exact same thing as every other car??

Apples to oranges. Nicer vehicles have technology and features cheaper cars don't. Pxg does exactly the same thing the lower cost OEMs can

cevans_40
AG
All I am saying is one guy rides his bike on the road and causes everyone else to slow down and wait for him instead of working out in a gym like most normal people.
Hamburger Dan
Two kids from my HS golf team play them. One bought new, the other bought used. I've hit their clubs quite a few times. They do feel very good. I play Mizuno irons now, but in the past I've hit Ping and Titleist. I'm not good enough anymore to tell if there is a big difference. I do know this - they can sell their clubs at those high prices, because people will buy them. I would imagine their popularity will only strengthen in the future.
mavsfan4ever
AG
If I see anyone that I don't know playing pxg on the first tee, I'll automatically take bets with them (and I'm an 8-9 handicap). I'll bet double if they are wearing pants, a white belt, and/or designer shades.
Rubble
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

If I see anyone that I don't know playing pxg on the first tee, I'll automatically take bets with them (and I'm an 8-9 handicap). I'll bet double if they are wearing pants, a white belt, and/or designer shades.

I don't know anyone that plays them nor have I ever seen anyone playing with them that I can recall, but I agree with this statement 100% (except I do wear a white belt every now and again with one certain pair of shorts).
Hamburger Dan
mavsfan4ever said:

Many years ago, I was playing in a tournament in southern Oklahoma.
After a good round Sunday, I ended up tied for first place. It was getting late and the hosts asked if we wanted to split the prize money and the Calcutta.
The guy I was tied with, wore starched blue jeans and a pearl snap shirt. I didn't recognize him, but he didn't look like much. He beat me on the fourth playoff hole, with his fourth birdie (we had both birdied the first three holes) He left with most of the money. I found out later that dusty old golfer played his collegiate golf at Okie State.
After that butt kicking I quit judging people for their equipment or what they looked like on the golf course.
Mr.Bond
AG
Interesting story for sure..... But he was tied for 1st before you ever played him lol

Hamburger Dan
Yep, didn't play with him the first day. And I was young, cocky, and fairly ignorant. Still a good time.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hamburger Dan said:

Yep, didn't play with him the first day. And I was young, cocky, and fairly ignorant. Still a good time.

As we all were at one time

Trinity Ag
S
Mr.Bond said:

Jjstats08 said:

Apples to oranges. Nicer vehicles have technology and features cheaper cars don't. Pxg does exactly the same thing the lower cost OEMs can
PXG is the only iron I am aware of that has adjustable perimeter weighting that can be tailored/fit to an individual player.

I don't play PXG (Titleist MB and CB), and don't know how much such refined adjustments really matter in dialing in performance/flight/gapping, but I can understand how they might.

That fit/adjustability is part of what you are paying for.

The guys I know that play them rave about the detail that went into their fitting.

That degree of fine tuning is likely lost on the vast majority of golfers.

Their niche is the 50+ yo golfer with a solid (or at least) consistent swing who has lost clubhead speed & distance, and is willing to pay a premium for a custom fit to maximize what they can get out of their swing.

If some other club manufacturer is selling that service, I'm unaware of it.
Trinity Ag
S
mavsfan4ever said:

If he is 30 and fit, I can see that being a logical assumption.

If he is 60 and sporting a member tag and a golf tan, you might want watch him on the practice tee first.
jj9000
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

Jjstats08 said:

PXG is the only iron I am aware of that has adjustable perimeter weighting that can be tailored/fit to an individual player.

I don't play PXG (Titleist MB and CB), and don't know how much such refined adjustments really matter in dialing in performance/flight/gapping, but I can understand how they might.

The guys I know that play them rave about the detail that went into their fitting.

Their niche is the 50+ yo golfer with a solid (or at least) consistent swing who has lost clubhead speed & distance, and is willing to pay a premium for a custom fit to maximize what they can get out of their swing.

Swingweight adjustments with brass or lead tip weights can be applied to any OEM club and shaft.

There's not enough mass in those PXG hex screws to move the COG, or, really matter all that much. It takes around 25-50 grams to barely move COG, and the COG move would be so small it would be un-noticible.

Several of the PXG fitters I've seen came from TMaG, and I'd put their fitting skills up against Bo at GolfTech...and take Bo's fitting 10 times out of 10. In fact, there's a giant thread over on WRX outlining the PXG clubfitting, then wayyy off spec clubs once built.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just saying there's nothing special about PXG that you can't get elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

Trinity Ag
S
jj9000 said:

Trinity Ag said:

Mr.Bond said:

Jjstats08 said:

Swingweight adjustments with brass or lead tip weights can be applied to any OEM club and shaft.

There's not enough mass in those PXG hex screws to move the COG, or, really matter all that much. It takes around 25-50 grams to barely move COG, and the COG move would be so small it would be un-noticible.

Several of the PXG fitters I've seen came from TMaG, and I'd put their fitting skills up against Bo at GolfTech...and take Bo's fitting 10 times out of 10. In fact, there's a giant thread over on WRX outlining the PXG clubfitting, then wayyy off spec clubs once built.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just saying there's nothing special about PXG that you can't get elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

A casual glance shows PXG irons have 6-10 screws ranging from .42 to 4 grams each. I'm not club fitter, so I can't say what the difference between moving 10-12 grams from the toe to the heel of a club might be, or added 12-16 grams to a club head, but pretty much every Driver Manufacturer uses 4-16g weights to adjust driver performance.

Why does an iron require 25-50 to adjust COG/MOI?

Given that club manufactures market shafts in 5 gram increments, it is either not as minimal as you claim, or it is ALL a marketing scam. But it can't be both.

And I recognize that a good fitter can use lead tape to shape head weighting. I also recognize why a golf company could easily sell adjustable weight screws as a more consistent, adjustable, durable -- and certainly more attractive -- alternative to lead tape.

And that is the market niche PXG has very effectively carved out - with a demographic willing to pay for even a small perceived edge.

Again, I'm not here to defend their pricing, or say they are "worth it". Frankly, 80% of club manufacturing is marketing.

In theory, and if properly fit, I can see how their technology can make a difference. Whether their individual fitters can (and do) deliver that difference to the average golfer is a different question.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.