COVID cups

7,210 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Philip J Fry
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quinn said:

I wouldn't count it for myself, but I wouldn't tell another guy that he shouldn't if he wants to. I've never had a hole in one, so I would want my first one to be the real deal.

Interesting take. If my ball was literally resting against the raised cup or stake I'd call it good and throw down the credit card. Theres no doubt that wouldn't fall in the cup.
RigsTx
AG
The worst would be that your ball is on a good line to the pin with the right amount of speed and you get up there and it is a few inches short of the hole. Who's to say that it didn't hit the raised cup and come back a few inches.
EMY92
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Quinn said:

I wouldn't count it for myself, but I wouldn't tell another guy that he shouldn't if he wants to. I've never had a hole in one, so I would want my first one to be the real deal.

Interesting take. If my ball was literally resting against the raised cup or stake I'd call it good and throw down the credit card. Theres no doubt that wouldn't fall in the cup.
That's an easy one on the wallet, the clubhouses are closed.
dcrewint
Well, as I've seen lipouts and hole in ones, whether on tv or in person it appears to me that with a regular cup there's some dunking and shots with a lot of heat that still sometimes go in. With what I've seen so far(smaller sample size) shots with heat that hit the pin in raised cups bounce out for the obvious reason(too fast) and no depth to the cup.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Would a course record or hole in one be considered official under these circumstances?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Quinn
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Quinn said:

Have you had a hole in one before? I might think differently if I've already had one.
NColoradoAG
Quinn said:

NColoradoAG said:

Quinn said:

Have you had a hole in one before? I might think differently if I've already had one.
I dont have a hole in one. My home course is literally using these stuck in the greens. No cup at all. If we assume that is the pin, then a ball coming to rest against that stick would have no doubt had perfect pace to fall in the hole. Im not saying you hit it and the ball rolls 3 feet away or that it is almost touching that stake. Im just saying that if I walked up and my ball was touching that thin stake I would call it a hole in one. Of course, the chances of that are even more unlikely than a non pandemic hole in one.

bqce
AG
"Made all the 40' comebackers"
Ag_07
AG
This is genius

https://instagr.am/p/B_C--ekH3QP
Yesterday
AG
Ag_07 said:

This is genius

https://instagr.am/p/B_C--ekH3QP
I saw this earlier...it's genius to appease the ******ed politicians and judges but in the end we touch the ball, the ball touches the lift and we're preventing nothing. Drives me insane.
lazuras_dc
AG
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29120912/jordan-spieth-denied-hole-one-thanks-spacer-placed-cup
Trucker 96
Quote:

"Sure, why not?" he said in an interview with tournament organizers afterward, figuring it was the seventh or eighth ace he has made.
From the article. Stuff like this always emphasizes just how difficult a hole-in-one is. One of the best players in the world who has been playing ridiculous amounts of golf for years and years, yet a relatively small hole-in-one count
Texas Ag 15
AG
Have any courses started to go back to normal cups? On practice putting green at my home course they have now put back in the normal cups vs raised
lazuras_dc
AG
Still covid cups on course and practice green at my home course
Trucker 96
I actually haven't minded the covid cups. None of my courses have the cup liner above the lip at least. That said, I definitely prefer the styrofoam version that allows the stick to respond normally vs the stiffer upside down cup. But given I was "pin in" guy before, I've actually liked not having to fish my ball out
dcrewint
All of the courses in college station have the cup dropped an inch or 2. I played La Torretta today and the full cup stood out on top of the green. lol I didn't like that
terradactylexpress
How is la torreta now?
Rubble
AG
Played for the first time yesterday since this all started. Grapevine is using the pool noodle method in the cups.

Not gonna lie, I loved the cups, but really loved the tee time intervals. We never had to wait and no one had to wait for us. I know that won't stay long at 15 minutes because they'll lose a bunch of tee times, which means losing money.
Trucker 96
The cart per person has really sped things up. Lots of lazy cart partners out there that are no longer slowing down play as much
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Played yesterday at Hawktree in Fort Worth. They have reached peak Covid and removed the flags completely. Made for a really subpar golf experience.

Honestly a little pissed that wasn't mentioned when the round was booked via phone.
austinag1997
AG
I played both. My course had raised cups. You putt more aggressively in those cases because you are looking at a bounce. The cup guards mimic more natural putting. There is a defined sound when the ball hits the cup fill. Almost a thud. Just my $0.02. And now the cups are normal on my course...
E
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Played yesterday at Hawktree in Fort Worth. They have reached peak Covid and removed the flags completely. Made for a really subpar golf experience.

Honestly a little pissed that wasn't mentioned when the round was booked via phone.

They should have 100% told you beforehand. I would have called after the first tee and said they forgot to put the flags in and if they don't put them in I want a refund.
LHIOB
AG
We add a little thing that you hook with your putter and pull up the bottom of the cup to remove the ball. It attaches to the flag. I forget what its called; Ill check when I play tomorrow.
Trucker 96
Have played a variety of covid cups (upside down, above the lip, pvc below the lip, pool noodle below the lip), and IMO the pool noodle has been the best as far as retaining the most realistic play while being easy to remove the ball in a manner that doesnt involve banging your scotty cameron up against some plastic to get the ball out.
Philip J Fry
AG
Can we get rid of these stupid things now? We know sunlight is this virus's kryptonite.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.