COVID cups

7,208 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Philip J Fry
bdgol07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of y'all that have played with the new above grass cups, or whatever your course currently has, did you notice a difference in your putting mentality?

I played today for the first time since November and shot an 84, best score in years honestly. But I felt like I was much more aggressive while on the green because of the above grass cups (course rules are if it hits and stays within the leather, it is a sunk putt).
Ag_07
AG
I played today and the cups weren't above grass but instead had a pool noodle insert in them. The ball could actually fall in the cup but because of the insert wouldn't fall all the way. You could get your ball without touching the flag.

I actually loved it just for pace of play. No worrying about pulling the pin or running around to grab it and replace it.

Not to detail but FWIW...If courses cared more about pace of play they'd leave em like that all the time and also go to everyone in their own cart. Yes I understand the extra expenses that creates but damn it was nice to play a 3 hr 45 min round on a Sunday.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Played yesterday and felt exact same in terms of aggressiveness. I normally struggle with pace and lack of aggressiveness, but flipped it around yesterday. Shot 80 with 30 putts. Don't get me started on number of GIR....
Bunk Moreland
yeah the ones I played had a little guard that would catch the ball in the cup but not let it fall. With those I putted like normal.

If I saw raised edges I'm not sure how I would react.
Yesterday
AG
If you ever putt with a styrofoam cup on the green you will notice when you try to hit the cup you hit it more firm as apposed to trying to make it fall in the cup.

I used to practice hitting a tee from three feet and I could do it almost as consistent as making a putt from three feet.
14TheRoad
AG
Where I'm playing they installed the cups upside down. Still holds the pin but the ball doesn't fall very far into the hole. Don't really notice any change other then realizing I like to hit short putts with the pin pulled.
AggieIce
AG
Hit 14 GIR and had 38 putts on Sat, so no help for me...
Yesterday
AG
AggieIce said:

Hit 14 GIR and had 38 putts on Sat, so no help for me...
Damn, were you playing Augusta?
DadAG10
Would hate to see the fairways with twice the cart traffic.

The Lost
Quote:

I actually loved it just for pace of play. No worrying about pulling the pin or running around to grab it and replace it.
You know leaving the flag in is legal even in noncorona times
G Martin 87
AG
I played with a guy Saturday who cheerfully grabbed the flag and pulled it every hole. Said that if God didn't want him to catch the virus, he wouldn't.
EKUAg
AG
Played Saturday. PVC sleeve around the flagstick in the hole to keep the ball from falling to the bottom of the cup.

Place was in good shape for late March in Indiana.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
dcrewint
But them hole in ones tho!
lazuras_dc
AG
Our club inverted the cups- so same theory as the pool noodle. Sometimes you're unsure if the ball lipped out because it burned the edge of it would've actually gone in but it just rolled out. I'd prefer the raised edge cup condom style
lazuras_dc
AG
The Lost said:

Quote:

You know leaving the flag in is legal even in noncorona times
Yes but now you don't have the option to take it out (theoretically) and you don't have to have some folks in the group want it in, and some folks want it out...
E
AG
I played a couple Woodlands CC courses this weekend and they had metal bars around the stick in the hole to raise the bottom. Memorial Park also used pool noodles last weekend.
Aggie1391
E said:

I played a couple Woodlands CC courses this weekend and they had metal bars around the stick in the hole to raise the bottom. Memorial Park also used pool noodles last weekend.
Wildcat has the metal bars as well. Made it a little tougher since if the ball didn't die in the hole, it would hit the flagstick and bounce off. Wilderness has the pool noodles, which OI think is my favorite way to do it. Gus Wortham has the cups sticking an inch above the ground, which makes basically anything inside 8 feet a gimme.
E
AG
I'm ok with 8 ft gimmies... handicap helpers
1990AG
AG
Played a tournament last weekend. Our club has the cups turned upside down, so you get a 2" drop into the hole. Pin had to stay in.

The guy I was playing went nuts over 3 footers all day. Missed 90% of them. Screaming F golf and F this BS the whole time. He's a 5.6 index and by the end of the round he was a mental midget!

Yesterday
AG
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-cGVkBlLJF/?igshid=1auuk5k0ekw15
REMARCH11
AG
I've played more golf in the last two weeks than I have in the 3 months prior. My club took the pins out but the cups are still there. Makes it a little difficult because you don't know where your hitting to. After the 1st hole it easy to figure out, FMB and go, you just don't know which side to it.

I think my putting has actually improved, I ram everything at the hole now, mainly because I know it doesn't matter. I did shoot 1 under on Sunday, no way on God's Green Earth am I posting that!!!

I don't know about other clubs, but I have a crap ton of non-members playing my course.
God,....I really hate the sips!
G Martin 87
AG
REMARCH11 said:

I've played more golf in the last two weeks than I have in the 3 months prior. My club took the pins out but the cups are still there. Makes it a little difficult because you don't know where your hitting to. After the 1st hole it easy to figure out, FMB and go, you just don't know which side to it.

I think my putting has actually improved, I ram everything at the hole now, mainly because I know it doesn't matter. I did shoot 1 under on Sunday, no way on God's Green Earth am I posting that!!!

I don't know about other clubs, but I have a crap ton of non-members playing my course.
Same here, I've played over 50 holes just in the past week. The course I live on is "officially" closed, but local residents just start wherever they want and play until it gets too dark to see. It's been really nice, even without pins, rakes, ball washers, etc. Shot a personal best 18 hole score on Saturday.
dcrewint
Pebble Creek actually cancelled non member play for the time being. Not sure how strictly that's enforced. I also instituted a 20 minute interval between teetimes. So if you don't know many members or if you weren't first to set your tee times by Sunday buoy most likely aren't playing this week.
E
AG
Just played Gus Wortham and they had the raised cups. They were metal and had a nice little "ping" to it when you hit it.

We played that you had to hit the cup (not just graze it) and it needed to end near the hole.
NColoradoAG
My home course just opened back up. I went and hit balls this afternoon and they've just put a stake with a reflector (like you'd put in your yard or parking lot to make sure snow plows dont hit things) in the greens. No cups at all.

We are currently debating how we're going to score things this weekend.
G Martin 87
AG
NColoradoAG said:

My home course just opened back up. I went and hit balls this afternoon and they've just put a stake with a reflector (like you'd put in your yard or parking lot to make sure snow plows dont hit things) in the greens. No cups at all.

We are currently debating how we're going to score things this weekend.
GIR match play? Would make for a really fast round.
EKUAg
AG
FYI, the USGA has rules out to be able to post scores for handicap.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2020/03/covid-19-rules-guidance-statement.html
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
Mr.Bond
AG
Aggie1391 said:

E said:

Wildcat has the metal bars as well. Made it a little tougher since if the ball didn't die in the hole, it would hit the flagstick and bounce off. Wilderness has the pool noodles, which OI think is my favorite way to do it. Gus Wortham has the cups sticking an inch above the ground, which makes basically anything inside 8 feet a gimme.

Wildcat just has the cups upside down. Played there yesterday
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

NColoradoAG
The stakes at our course were weird. We had to make a lot of judgment calls about what would have gone in or not. Plus the greens were ungodly slow yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to hit a putt hard enough. Overall played really well. Would have broken 80 if not for the only double of the day on 18. Went 40-40.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Could you imagine getting your only hole-in-one with raised cups? Honestly, it would drive me insane. Kind of like the only hole-in-one you've ever gotten being during a solo round.
Quinn
AG
I don't think I would consider it a hole in one. Unless I see the ball in the bottom of the cup, it wouldn't count to me.
dcrewint
I would think a raised cup hole in one would be harder to get than a regulation cup.
Yesterday
AG
dcrewint said:

I would think a raised cup hole in one would be harder to get than a regulation cup.

I'm interested to hear this reasoning.
NColoradoAG
Quinn said:

I don't think I would consider it a hole in one. Unless I see the ball in the bottom of the cup, it wouldn't count to me.

What if its sitting right against the raised cup or stake?
Quinn
AG
I wouldn't count it for myself, but I wouldn't tell another guy that he shouldn't if he wants to. I've never had a hole in one, so I would want my first one to be the real deal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.