Any private clubs closing?

50,126 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Shaggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At Canyon Creek they've closed the club, but left the course running. They've flipped the cups and told everyone to leave the flags in. They also took the sand bottles and water coolers. They're sanitizing carts between uses, but for some reason haven't restricted them to 1 rider. I wish they'd just put the carts away till this is over.

According to my buddies that play everyday, a large portion of the course was Prestonwood folks that still wanted carts, and it was just as packed as a Saturday morning out there all day. I walked after work and couldn't believe we were still waiting on every shot because there were so many people out.
'03ag
Most anything outdoors is OK with proper precautions. Your coach friend is probably wrong about the "essential business" classification.
Post removed:
by user
AustinCountyAg
Played the tournament course today in the woodlands. It was slam ****ing packed. As crowded as I've ever seen it.

Course was in great condition. My game today however left a lot to be desired.
localag88
Most jurisdictions, in drafting their "shelter in place" orders have essentially cut and pasted from a template supplied by the state, the CDC or somewhere. Anyway, it contains an "essential activities" provision, and included in that definition are "outdoor activities, such as by way of example walking, hiking, bike-riding" MOST gov leaders have found that definition could reasonably include golf, with the provisos that have been discussed herein. Obviously they couldn't put golf in there per se, as it would come across as an elitist carve out in a time of emergency.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
localag88 said:

Most jurisdictions, in drafting their "shelter in place" orders have essentially cut and pasted from a template supplied by the state, the CDC or somewhere. Anyway, it contains an "essential activities" provision, and included in that definition are "outdoor activities, such as by way of example walking, hiking, bike-riding" MOST gov leaders have found that definition could reasonably include golf, with the provisos that have been discussed herein. Obviously they couldn't put golf in there per se, as it would come across as an elitist carve out in a time of emergency.
Tarrant County EO explicitly calls out golf when explaining exercise as an essential activity.
560ti
City of Plano course (Pecan Hollow) just started allowing Tee times again, there website last week had said they where going to be shutdown till April 2nd.

I'm guessing the courses our seeing how vague the shelter in place orders our and our spinning it as "golf is an essential outdoor exercise"
beerad12man
AG
CastleRock said:

'03ag said:

Most anything outdoors is OK with proper precautions. Your coach friend is probably wrong about the "essential business" classification.

The most important part of the shelter orders are do not leave your house for anything, unless it's an essential activity.

You can use the horribly vague "outdoor exercise" clause as a loophole to include golf, but if you're honest with yourself, you know golf's not essential and it's more risky than walking around your neighborhood for exercise.

Particularly at those clubcorp courses mentioned above with carts and 4somes/5somes running.
How so? There are arguably just as many people walking around my neighborhood right now with just as many things you can touch that can be infected just as a golf course. Walking a golf course doesn't really seem to be any different.

If I go golf, I can just walk the course, pick up all "gimmes", not touch any flags, and take latex gloves if/when the 1-2 times I make a putt outside of gimme range that I have to reach into the hole ( )

Yes, I'll give you the carts and big groups. But if I'm playing by myself or one playing partner, and we just keep 6+ feet from each other? I don't see it as really being any different.
Austintm
Played today at Barton Creek (Fazio Canyons). We took separate carts (watched them being sanitized then wiped it down myself), didn't come within 6 feet of anyone, didn't touch the flagsticks. Safer than going into HEB.
CoppellAg93
AG
My father is a member at Sweetwater Country Club in Sugar Land. He texted me yesterday morning to say that they closed the course - had been open up until then. He texted later to say that they re-opened - guess the judge in Ft. Bend County changed his mind. They're following the social distancing - separate carts, no touching flags - as others have said.
Post removed:
by user
Pignorant
AG
Sherrill Park was packed this afternoon.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Boo this man, not that can play anyways with two kids out of day care and both parents working
Old School Brother
Buddy and I had a 345 at bridlewood this afternoon, got a text about 20 min before that our tee time was canceled. Called golf shop, they said they were still open, that golf now must've made a mistake. They didn't have our reservation and were booked until after 5pm.
So we called tour 18 right down the road, they said they had 4pm available. Get there, hit a few balls, driving to the first tee. Guy comes running out of the pro shop and says flower mound police are there to shut them down. There were actually 3 police Tahoes in the parking lot. Apparently, if we had already hit our opening tee shot, we would've gotten to play 9. They were telling people at the turn.
K Bo
AG
Sugar Creek is still open, taking the standard measures
560ti
Brookhaven country club is shut down but they said anyone can walk. Played 9 holes, fair amount of people walking but wasn't super packed (most of the people who want carts are playing canyon creek).

Weird course. It's just good enough to where you can't complain but it's nothing special. Felt like I was playing on a mid level city course. There's absolutely no way I would pay over $500 a month to play there, that's an absolute joke. Practice facility is nice though (I know that's the main perk versus Preston wood and Canyon creek)

Looks like it's a classic case of clubcorp doing the absolute bare minimum
Pignorant
AG
Literally anyone can walk on at Brookhaven right now?
'03ag
That was my question. Doubt that's what Brookhaven intended
Yesterday
AG
You still have to be a member.
Poot
03ki11erAG said:

You still have to be a member.

Apparently not...
jj9000
AG
Played Woodbridge several times this last week.

Interesting setup as the cups are raised, as in, 3" above ground. Flags are still in the cups, but to hole out you just bank your ball off the raised cup.

It certainly beats staying at home and not playing.
LHIOB
AG
Denton Co just stopped all golf. Just got my email from Prestonwood. The Hills is shut down.
Yesterday
AG
LHIOB said:

Denton Co just stopped all golf. Just got my email from Prestonwood. The Hills is shut down.

This feels like the theory of "if it doesn't burn it's not working". Why ban golf?
JCA1
AG
My guess is a combination of "better safe than sorry" and optics since golf is typically seen as recreation for the affluent.
Stymied
AG
They probably don't want to be liable for non members on the golf course, especially if there is no staff there to manage the course.
560ti
AeroAg2003 said:

They probably don't want to be liable for non members on the golf course, especially if there is no staff there to manage the course.
No denton county is shut down courses that where still open and still staffed. The cops personally went to Bridlewood and 18 tour I think Thursday to personally shut them down (denton county is cracking down on these clubs that are still open)
Rubble
AG
Lantana is closed, but at the very least the head pro is still working. He was driving a cart around telling people to get off the property about an hour ago when we were walking with our kids.
07fta07
AG
We've had the fire marshal and sheriffs around Houston stopping by courses and taking notes/pictures and talking with the courses. So far they seem ok with what they're seeing.

I don't think they're out to shut people down. I think they're just making sure everything is being run responsibly.
Shiner Bock
Got in a round in today here in OKC before all public courses close tomorrow. Was a nice break from life in the hospital, no one closer than 6 feet from me during those 3-4 hours.
jja79
AG
Cameron Champ and some of his buddies played Houston Oaks today. Pretty amazing to watch.
LHIOB
AG
Played the Creeks today and one of our pros was out there on the 1st tee checking for members. It was good to see. Still had some jackwagons playing in 8-somes tho.
JYDog90
AG
jja79 said:

Cameron Champ and some of his buddies played Houston Oaks today. Pretty amazing to watch.
would like to have seen that.
jja79
AG
My 17 year old son is a pretty good player (77 from the tips today) and he was giddy when he got to talk to him. Number 1 is 381 and Cameron drove it over the green. 18 is 420 and plays around a lake. From the tips it's 305 to carry the water if you hit straight to the green. Cameron was chipping from just over the green. Very impressive.
560ti
LHIOB said:

edit
Rubble
AG
Collin county's order seems to not care either. All businesses are considered essential, so basically there is nothing closed.

The city of McKinney put an order that is more strict, and now some idiot is suing the city because of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.