Any private clubs closing?

50,029 Views | 451 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
560ti said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2020/04/16/garland-golf-course-has-a-new-owner/

Duck Creek sold again. What is the deal with this course ? Was purchased in 2012 with little to no community backing and reopened shortly after. Home owners didn't really seemd interested in it and it immediately became a hacker course. Owner lost money on it every single year it was open. Tried to be a high volume low quality course but 1. is located in a very competitive golf area and 2. low budget fees/prices can't maintain high volume traffic and maintence, its an oxymoron

Now the current owner convinced some company (Par Fore LLC) on a 1.6 million dollar owner finance sale ? You have to be kidding me ?

This course is barely a step of los rios right now and the neighbhorhood isn't even that great anymore. This course is literally the scam of the century

See it often. They say the third owner of a golf course has the potential to make money. The first two always lose money.
DadAG10
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

This thread is about courses opening and closing, and Glanton's course,
When did Ronnie take Sherrill private?
560ti
austinag1997 said:

See it often. They say the third owner of a golf course has the potential to make money. The first two always lose money.
I don't even know how many there on now. I think they had 3 owners as a private club and now there on there 2nd owner for the relaunch (technically 3 if you count one of relaunch co-owners sold his stake off to the other owner).
560ti
DadAG10 said:

Public courses have literally been in discussion in every page of this thread for over a month.

I mean hell the opening post literally starts "Austin closing the public courses"......... (lol)
grego
AG
He's inferring this hack golf pro bought the course.
LHIOB
AG
I dont know about yall but Im really enjoying walking. I walked every round until I got to A&M and realized you could drink and golf. I am going to cancel my cart plan when they open it up to carts in a few weeks/months. If its too hot I can pay the $20.
grego
AG
Love walking. Our course has been walking only since the changes and it is incredible what it does for the course and the experience. Never happen, but I wish it would stay that way permanently.
tamu2009
AG
I was a member out there when ClubCorp first bought them. That course is really easy to walk minus the walk from 3 green to 4 tee (which isn't really all that bad). I did love walking that course (the hills on the other hand, not so much). I miss that place.

Apparently the old owner wouldn't let people walk and when I started walking, it ruffled some BIG feathers with the old guys. I can't imagine how the old owner would have handled this.

I was walking one day on, walking up to 10 green. I saw some guys on 18 tee out of the corner of my eye when i heard "If you can't afford the cart, you can't afford the country club!".
DadAG10
560ti said:

DadAG10 said:

Public courses have literally been in discussion in every page of this thread for over a month.

I mean hell the opening post literally starts "Austin closing the public courses"......... (lol)
Just because many have gone off-track of the threads intent, doesn't make it right.

Now, finish the opening post and read the thread title.

560ti
DadAG10 said:

Just because many have gone off-track of the threads intent, doesn't make it right.
Doesn't make it right ? Where discussing golf closures during a state wide shutdown, this isn't some immoral or super serious discussion.

Not only that Legend (who started this topic) has even mentioned public courses multiple times throughout this thread so cut back on the whole teenage sass ("Now, finish the opening post and read the thread title", "when did ronnie make it private").

DadAG10
560ti said:

super serious discussion.

"when did ronnie make it private").

You're too easy.

Go back and look at my "wink".

And I'm being serious. "LOL " as you say.
LHIOB
AG
We had a good number of walkers prior to this. Lots of shade and it is a pretty easy walk. Yes, the Hills is a total ass whip to walk.
Legend
AG
Played yesterday in Dallas and the course conditions are nearly perfect. I guess not having carts makes a huge difference. I've actually enjoyed walking. Our foursome finished in just under 4 hours.
Pignorant
AG
What course?
Rubble
AG
Grapevine Muni is opening back up on Tuesday. I called this morning to get a time for next Saturday and the earliest available was after 2. Tee times are going fast.
Legend
AG
Northwood.
TjgtAg08
AG
Legend said:

Northwood.
Well fancy you!

I've always maintained that if I had the money to join anywhere in DFW (maybe even in the state), I'd join Northwood, especially after the redesign. I just freaking love that golf course.
Legend
AG
Does anyone know what Abbott's order means about golf resuming with no more than four people? Carts? Rakes in bunkers, etc.? Curious to see what courses can/will do now.
Trucker 96
Legend said:

Does anyone know what Abbott's order means about golf resuming with no more than four people? Carts? Rakes in bunkers, etc.? Curious to see what courses can/will do now.
I think we're going to see golf courses continue mostly how they've been doing for awhile. Pins in, cart per person, etc. I think some of the walking only or online tee time only aspects might get relaxed though.
LHIOB
AG
Prestonwood is getting flags back today
Pignorant
AG
Will Dallas muni's be reopening on May 1?
Shaggie 05
AG
I checked Steven and Cedar Crest this morning. Cedar Crest shows tee times starting Friday - 20 minute increments, but still nothing for Stevens.

Grabbing a time for Sunday, mostly out of curiosity to see what the conditions are like with no play for a month in prime spring time...that and to finally play somewhere besides the home course.
jonj101
Just got an email from my club, Friday they're reopening locker room and dining room for members.

Staff will have gloves and masks but not required for guests.
LHIOB
AG
Starting Friday at Prestonwood:

Range is back open. Mats only.

Putting green is open with one person per hole

All dining areas are 25% occupancy

1 rider per cart

Pins are in
Legend
AG
How many places are opening the driving ranges for practice? I see some open for lessons or pre-match warm up, but not full on practice (to limit # of people). Was curious to know if some clubs are opening the range to full capacity.
JYDog90
AG
Guys at my club are hitting whiffle balls before their rounds.
Formerly Willy Wonka
07fta07
AG
We haven't changed anything through this whole thing other than spacing out the range a bit more. In Houston.
CCred92
AG
Our range opened back up last Friday.
austinag1997
AG
Flags at my course are back in the ground. I haven't played so don't know if the clubhouse is open and operating as normal. May play tomorrow, so will report back.
Duckhook
AG
My range has been open for almost 2 weeks now. Not as many stations with balls. We went back to regular cups yesterday. No rakes in bunkers still though.
Legend
AG
How is everyone's club doing? Seems like everyone I talk to says their club is seeing record traffic. Lots of golf being played.
LHIOB
AG
I played with one of our pros last weekend and I asked him if he could say how many members we lost. He said he couldnt say but it was quite a few.

Ive had no problems getting a tee time but it does feel busy.

Our pool is 25% and today my wife saaid they turned people away so I guess they are following the "rules".
lazuras_dc
AG
Played today at the local muni and they were back to two a cart and had regular pins/cups.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.