Planning a 3 day golf weekend in Texas w/20 guys...

6,243 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
Hanrahan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live right by falconhead and have played it a bunch in the past. It's pretty good and up there with best public option available in Austin.

Lighthouse is great (for the price) and cheap. Delaware springs the same. Great little muni and relatively inexpensive. Legends I have played off and on since it opened through all of its ups and down. Overall I'd say pass on it.

Happy to give you more specific info on any of them just lemme know. I've played all a lot over the years. And just to give you context I'm a member of a very nice club near falconhead and still enjoy lighthouse and Delaware for what they are as we are up at lake lbj often.
Hanrahan
AG
Also check into vaaler creek in blanco. They have condos on site that are relatively recent construction and the course is pretty amazing for a course in the middle of nowhere. Though full disclosure I haven't played it in a few years.
Hanrahan
AG
Oh and I can tell you about lajitas as well. A group of us took the jet out of Austin (if you have a large enough group they will divert the plane from Dallas to stop in Austin) and it's pretty spectacular.
AustinCountyAg
Details please...
Goose06
AG
Hanrahan said:

Oh and I can tell you about lajitas as well. A group of us took the jet out of Austin (if you have a large enough group they will divert the plane from Dallas to stop in Austin) and it's pretty spectacular.

I went ahead and emailed Lajitas to ask for details. Will include that as an option for my group, but my guess is we have at least 5 or so guys who don't want to stretch the wallet that far...but yes, please give me the sales pitch...
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I spent 3 days at the Lajitas Golf Resort a month ago. It is a shlt hole. Course was in great shape, it was everything else that sucked. Food, service, lodging all pretty lame. Didn't know how to make an Arnold Palmer. Swimming pool with green scum on the bottom.

Starlight Theater is one of the greatest places on earth, however.

Last Edit: On the driving range getting ready for my tee time at 8:45. THE SPRINKLERS WENT OFF, SOAKING MY FOURSOME.

Yeah, I'll never give them another dime of my money.

proudaggie02
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

I spent 3 days at the Lajitas Golf Resort a month ago. It is a shlt hole. Course was in great shape, it was everything else that sucked. Food, service, lodging all pretty lame. Didn't know how to make an Arnold Palmer. Swimming pool with green scum on the bottom.

Starlight Theater is one of the greatest places on earth, however.

Agree. Course was pretty nice with some good views, but I couldn't wait to get home after two days there. It's in BFE, and it has a weird vibe. The pool was crappy, and it was 105* when I went last May.

schwabbin
AG
If you're worried about cost you really should consider Pine Dunes. I think most of the group spent about $400 on 3-4 rounds of golf, lodging and food all in. It's a steal and the course was great.
Mr.Bond
AG
First bad reviews I've ever heard on it. Interesting
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Goose06
AG
schwabbin said:

If you're worried about cost you really should consider Pine Dunes. I think most of the group spent about $400 on 3-4 rounds of golf, lodging and food all in. It's a steal and the course was great.

We are committed to single house style lodging. Only way we might budge off of that is for a place like Lajitas. That being said, Pine Dunes might not be a bad option if we found the right lodging nearby. I assume it's open to the public if umyou don't stay there?
BigO93
AG
Agree with agsalaska's comments about Legends and Delaware, they are both good courses and usually in great shape.

Lighthouse is a fun and inexpensive course with a few very unique holes. Friendly small town staff & good 19th hole for an ice cold Shiner!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
We used to do our guys group trip to The Falls in New Ulm but it's closed now. Good times.
jja79
AG
I grew up off Highway 385 which takes you into Big Bend. Not saying the poster is that guy but some people can't handle that much isolation and the landscape. In my years in Houston I've found out a lot of people think Bellville and places like that are BFE.
malenurse
AG
Check out Asante Lodge in Dripping Springs. The place is owned by the Cabela family and is unbelievable. The main house sleeps 8 and there are three other smaller homes on the grounds. The location puts most of the Austin courses in range.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Goose06
AG
malenurse said:

Check out Asante Lodge in Dripping Springs. The place is owned by the Cabela family and is unbelievable. The main house sleeps 8 and there are three other smaller homes on the grounds. The location puts most of the Austin courses in range.
I like that option. Can get 2 houses there next door to each other that sleep 8 and 14 which is 22 and perfect for us. Its 20 minutes from Falconhead so a solid option for sure...I think we may be a bit more out of control than their typical guests as a few of those houses look like they are meant for honeymooners...but we would bring a nice flare to their property for a weekend!
RJ3
AG
You can't go wrong with Delaware spring with a big group.

I do a big golf weekend every year with my college and high school buddies and there's about 25-30 every year that play. Everyone always loves Delaware Springs. It's not expensive and even those who aren't good at golf have a good time.

I'm able to house everyone at my ranch, but there's plenty of ranches in marble falls or lake houses on LBJ to rent out for a group that big.
schwabbin
AG
Pine Dunes is in the middle of nowhere. Not really any other lodging options other than on site. But the cabins are on 18 fairway/green. When we went, our group was the only overnight guests so it felt like we had the place to ourselves.
Goose06
AG
Found a place about 20 minutes from pine dunes that looks pretty sweet, but it's a 3 night minimum. Another cool place we have stayed before is about 40 minutes away.
stick93
AG
You might consider Concan. Especially if it is after Labor Day. My buddy's place is at #8 green and off season rates are really cheap for a large group(has a pool too). Haven't played there since spring of '18 so I can't speak to course conditions.

It's just a really relaxing way to get a bunch of golf in.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Horseshoe Bay in Marble Falls...? You can dig around and find good stay and play deals

Also Falconhead is my home course and it is in fantastic shape right now
SW AG80
AG
I played in Concan in March and the course was not worth the cost. And the cost was very cheap.

Might try RiverHill CC in Kerrville. I know a big group that goes there every year. They stay in one or 2 houses right by the course, have full use of the club bar and restaurant and they love the course. Greens there are great.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.