Planning a 3 day golf weekend in Texas w/20 guys...

6,083 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
Goose06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a group I play with every year and we take a long weekend to go play 3 rounds of golf. There is more to the weekend as we like to find a cabin or house that can host the entire group. A bunch of 35 year olds who like to pretend like we are 22 again with no kids and wives around to worry about...

Anyways, next year is our 10th year doing this so looking to find an upgraded course and lodging. In the past we have played Twin Lakes before it closed and Garden Valley in lindale. Garden Valley was in pretty bad shape this year so not planning to return there. I was hoping someone on here could help us find a new course and or lodging... here are some guidelines:

Location: about half of the group comes from DFW and the rest from Houston, San Antonio, and Austin. I would say anywhere inside that triangle works plus east Texas is an option as we have always done East Texas.

Lodging needs: ideally a place with at least 15 beds (we usually have a few on a couch so that's ok). One year we were at a place with a pool and that was everyone's favorite year, chilling in a pool after a round of golf is great. We tend to do some 20 person games so having a common area where we can all get together is also important. As far as price, I think we have generally found a place for $600-800/night. I think for the right place we would consider up to around $1500/night. If the lodging was perfect maybe I could get our group up to $2k/night.

Golf: we aren't the greatest bunch of golfers. I'd say the median handicap is about 18. Our top 10 golfers generally shoot 85-100, our bottom 10 are 100-110. I say that to say we don't need a super challenging course. A course that's in good shape and runs $75 or less on the weekend mornings is probably what we are looking for. Certainly a really nice diamond in the rough would be great, but I'd actually probably say a more important attribute is probably proximity to whatever lodging we find (I.e. less than 30 minutes).

Anyone have any suggestions for lodging or golf? A particular part of the state you suggest we focus our search on? A specific lodging accommodation we should consider? A specific golf course you suggest?
Ragoo
AG
https://www.banditgolfclub.com/golf/stay-play
WhoopN06
Pine Dunes. There is lodging onsite and the course is excellent.
Goose06
AG
WhoopN06 said:

We'd really prefer lodging that's all one house/cabin if we can find it. I don't think Pine Dunes offers that do they?
schwabbin
AG
Pine Dunes. Was there with a group of guys this weekend and it's great. Lodging was perfect. Clean 1/2 bed cabins and communal areas outside. They have good catering too so just show up and golf all weekend.
WhoopN06
They do not.
AustinCountyAg
Colovista in Bastrop
Trick
AG
Lots of similar guy groups play at Crown Colony. Villas are next to the range but doesn't meet your all under the same roof requirement.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Goose06
AG
Found several good lodging options near Kingsland, TX north of horseshoe bay. Anyone have an opinion of Legends Golf Course, Lighthouse Country Club or Delaware Springs?
WhoopN06
Delaware Springs is excellent. Haven't played the other two.
Baby Billy
AG
https://www.golflakefork.com/
Just got back from a Memorial Day trip to Yantis, TX.

The Links at Lands End. Course was right on Lake Fork, we had 28 guys and played our own little Ryder Cup Style tournament. 72 holes in 2 days.
Course was really nice with great views, perfect for what you described you needed.

The lodge comfortably slept 26 of us, with the rest passed out drunk on the floor, and was right next to the clubhouse.

Oh, and it was only $129 TOTAL for one nights stay in the lodge plus unlimited golf for 2 days.
Goose06
AG
Will check it out
Goose06
AG
Anyone have a course around lake Travis they recommend?
Mr.Bond
AG
**** it and go big. Blackjack Crossing at Lajitas
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Goose06
AG
Ha, we discussed Lajitas. If it wasn't so far away I think we'd do that.
AustinCountyAg
I've played both public courses in Lago Vista. They are usually in good shape.
Mr.Bond
AG
Goose06 said:

Fly into Odessa and less than 3 hours drive. Trust me..... Do it
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Goose06
AG
I fly to Odessa all the time for work, that flight is a minimum of like $600 these days and regularly runs over $800.
Mr.Bond
AG
Goose06 said:

I fly to Odessa all the time for work, that flight is a minimum of like $600 these days and regularly runs over $800.

Southwest doesn't fly to midland/Odessa?

powerbelly
AG
Goose06 said:

Everyone get to Dallas and book the jet to lajitas
Mr.Bond
AG
powerbelly said:

Goose06 said:

Everyone get to Dallas and book the jet to lajitas

That's a bucket list deal for me. Awesome experience

Goose06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Goose06 said:

I live in the woodlands, flying out of hobby is a huge pain. Either way, our group isn't spending that kind of money regardless of my thoughts on the subject...
Mr.Bond
AG
You pretentious Woodlands folks..... Lol Jk.

Tell your buddies to quit being cheap, it's not like your paying 10k to go to Scotland. Lajitas would be an epic trip, especially for your 10 year anniversary.

Regardless, good luck

Goose06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

You pretentious Woodlands folks..... Lol Jk.

Tell your buddies to quit being cheap, it's not like your paying 10k to go to Scotland. Lajitas would be an epic trip, especially for your 10 year anniversary.

Regardless, good luck

I will throw it out there... any idea the cost of the flight from dfw plus lodging (2 nights) plus golf (3 rounds) per person?
Mr.Bond
AG
No idea on the flying private option. I know they can accommodate up to 30 on the flight if I read correctly. A complete guess here would be around 1k-1,500 per person for golf, lodging and flight with a group your size....... But that's a complete guess

StEdsCOOG
I've stayed in the Canyon Lake area and made the drive to Blanco to play Vaaler Creek. Play morning golf and float the river in the afternoon. Place we stayed at was the River Road Treehouses. Check Whitewater Amphitheater and Gruene Hall for concerts at night. Worked out because those who didn't care to play a second day or were too hungover just hung out at the lake. River Crossing is another course located nearby in Spring Branch but I'm not sure if they've gone private yet.
irish pete ag06
AG
WhoopN06 said:

100% this. Just had a group of 12 do this. You can't beat it for the $.
agsalaska
AG
Horseshoe Bay
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Goose06
AG
Anyone have an opinion on these courses (or if there is a course near one of these that you recommend, let me know that too)?

• Falconhead (Austin)
  • Legends (Kingsland)
  • Lighthouse (Kingsland)
  • Delaware Springs (Burnet)

agsalaska
AG
Goose06 said:

Anyone have an opinion on these courses (or if there is a course near one of these that you recommend, let me know that too)?

• Falconhead (Austin)
  • Legends (Kingsland)
  • Lighthouse (Kingsland)

Delaware and Legends are both really fun courses. I play them both every year.

I think Deleware is a blast to play. It is the kind of course that can be taken advantage of if you are straight off the tee but will blow you up if your not.

Legends is a bigger, longer course that is more of a championship layout.

Cant go wrong with either, assuming they are in good condition. I've never known either to not be.

Edit. Legends also has some really beautiful scenery. That's part of what I like about it it is peaceful out there with pretty views.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
EOE
I have never played the one in Burnet but have the other three. The way they are listed are the order of quality. Falcon head is significantly better IMO.
Austintm
Goose06 said:

• Falconhead (Austin)
  • Legends (Kingsland)
  • Lighthouse (Kingsland)

I have played Falconhead a few times. For a public course, it is generally in pretty good shape and the pace of play is fine. It is probably the best public course in the immediate Austin area. Nice layout as well
cjsag94
AG
Fredericksburg area?

Lady Bird Johnson golf... Tons of lodging of all kinds in that area.
07fta07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Goose06 said:

Southwest flies there and it's easily $500-$600 or more RT
Mr.Bond
AG
I just looked up a flight in July for 300 bucks

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.