Getting Fit

13,634 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jab
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Impact Precision Golf in woodlands/spring area
Mr.Bond
AG
Aggie369 said:

Impact Precision Golf in woodlands/spring area
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

This is how its done....be broad in describing what u want. Let trackman show you what you need

Have to disagree here. I was fitted for my current driver,'17 M1, at Club Champion. The stats said this was the club, but there were other clubs that felt better to me. It was great at first but it didn't take long for the shots that didn't feel so good to end up not being very good. It wrecked my confidence and I started spraying my drives. I went back to my '13 Titleist driver and hit much more accurate drives, albeit a little shorter.

When I get my next driver, I'm going to make sure I get fit in an outdoor setting. I want to see and feel my shots and pick the club that suits me personally, not get hung up on stats. Let the fitter worry about the stats, you focus on what feels/looks right.

Gonna do a driver fitting here pretty soon. Anybody know a place in DFW that will do an outdoor fitting?
Aggie369
AG
Cool Clubs does indoor and outdoor fitting. They are the guys that branched off one of the original golf fitters, Hot Stix, that started in Phoenix.

They know their stuff
EastTexAg14
AG
In the Houston area I highly recommend Swanson Golf. I would ask to have your fitting done with Daryl Parrott. Very knowledgeable and does not push any specific manufacture on you. I did an iron fitting two months ago and completed a wedge fitting last week.
07fta07
AG
EastTexAg14 said:

In the Houston area I highly recommend Swanson Golf. I would ask to have your fitting done with Daryl Parrott. Very knowledgeable and does not push any specific manufacture on you. I did an iron fitting two months ago and completed a wedge fitting last week.

I've done a fitting with Daryl at Swanson's and at Impact Precision in Spring. Impact's fitting blows Swanson's out of the water. Go to Impact.

Edited to say Impact deals mostly in custom/aftermarket shafts, especially in graphite (they won't put you in the stock graphite shaft that comes with the driver) so if you just want a basic fitting, Swanson's is fine and Daryl does a good job. For irons I'd go to Impact because most manufacturers allow you to change/upgrade shafts for no charge or minimal charge, so you won't see a big $ increase for the club like you would with the driver.
oldag00
AG
My only reservation with Impact Precision and other fitters like them is their reliance solely on the data and simulator. I feel like I would need to see the ball in the air to make a completely informed decision. Did that not bother you during the fitting process?

Any recommendations between the three fitters at Impact Precision? Brett Callas, Trevor Sauntry, or Major Bell? Their website doesn't offer any experience details. I carry a 5-6 handicap if that matters.
07fta07
AG
I thought it would bother me because I'd only been fit outdoors before, but no it didn't bother me.

I mostly work with Brett and really like him. I've worked with Trevor also (he's one of the owners and seems to do less fittings but does a lot of the club work) and he's good. I haven't worked with Major.

One thing I like is they order everything uncut and build it all there. They don't rely on the manufacturers to get it right (which they normally don't get it right because they're mass producing and building).

You can tell whether something looks/feels right and then compare that with the numbers. They've completely reworked my set (couple new shafts, swing weights, cut down driver and 3 wood, etc) that I had fit at Swanson's and it's 10x better.
oldag00
AG
Good to hear.

I'm looking to replace my full bag of clubs. I've got $750 in pro shop credit I need to use to accomplish some of that though. Do they provide you your spec sheet to allow buying clubs elsewhere?

With their custom build process, which I know has advantages over the assembly line, how did their pricing compare to MSRP or other retailers?
Aggie369
AG
I'm with you and prefer to see my ball flight...it rained on the day I was supposed to get fit at Cool Clubs and we did everything inside....it was just fine. Though I still would prefer an outside fitting
07fta07
AG
oldag00 said:

Good to hear.

I'm looking to replace my full bag of clubs. I've got $750 in pro shop credit I need to use to accomplish some of that though. Do they provide you your spec sheet to allow buying clubs elsewhere?

With their custom build process, which I know has advantages over the assembly line, how did their pricing compare to MSRP or other retailers?

It's the same pricing and yes, they'll give you all your data. Just let them know what you're wanting to do. I've bought a couple things on pro shop credit and taken it to them to do the club work. They have one of my clubs right now. They're fine with that also.

If you aren't looking to pay a decent amount of money for an upgraded graphite shaft, they're probably not your answer for the long game fitting. They don't really have anything "stock". All their shafts are going to be an upgrade. Irons/wedges is a different story.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Any experience with Golf Tech in Plano? Looks like a driver fitting is only $50 through them... which seems crazy cheap so I'm a bit skeptical?
jj9000
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Any experience with Golf Tech in Plano? Looks like a driver fitting is only $50 through them... which seems crazy cheap so I'm a bit skeptical?

Yes.

Bo does some of the best club work in DFW.

He knows his sh**.
khaos288
AG
Would you say...bo knows?
investorAg83
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Agree with jj...bo is great. Did mine off his simulator but worked well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Golf Tech is fantastic
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Thanks, Guys. Booked a driver fitting for a week from today with Bo.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Getting a driver fitting with Bo this afternoon. Excited to see what happens.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Driver fitting with Bo went awesome.

Switched my shaft from a 50 g reg flex to a 75 g stiff with it tipped 1".

Club head speed was 103-105 mph, but ball speed with my old driver was only 130 mph with 5000+ rpm spin. Went up to 150 mph with with 2800 rpm spin.

I need to fix my attack angle though. I'm coming way over the top and my attack angle is a whopping NEGATIVE 11 degrees. I'd gain a ton of yards if I can get that straightened out.

Anyways, Bo is a good dude and I'd recommend him to anyone.
clintaggie04
AG
Major at Impact is a great guy also. He fitted me for new irons and driver last year. They have no issue at all with you buying clubs somewhere else. I agree with whoever said buy standard loft and lie from the manufacturer and let Impact bend them. They are much more precise.
07fta07
AG
I've started ordering an inch over standard and letting Impact rebuild them. My Mizuno irons I ordered from the factory were all over the place on length. My 4 and 5 iron were the same length.

I've picked up some single clubs on pro shop credit since then (driving iron, wedges) and ordered +1" and taken them to Impact to cut, swing weight, spine, and bend. They do a great job.
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

Club head speed was 103-105 mph, but ball speed with my old driver was only 130 mph with 5000+ rpm spin. Went up to 150 mph with with 2800 rpm spin.
Really nice improvement, should get you 250ish carry which is plenty.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Forum Troll said:

Quote:

Really nice improvement, should get you 250ish carry which is plenty.

Yeah it should, but my attack angle is so steep that it's closer to 225 carry with 40+ yards of roll.
Need to fix that with some lessons.
07fta07
AG
I'm amazed you are only at 2800 RPM with an attack angle that negative. I was pushing 3000 at around a -4.

New shaft and getting the angle closer to 0 has me down to 2200-2300.
Golf1
AG
I got fit for some Mizuno Irons recently and it was easy for me to do with where I work. I'm really not sure with how much it changes a game but the best thing that I got out of it was having a selection of which shaft is best for me.
tandy miller
AG
Impact Precision Golf. Went after I had been playing about a year and got my current irons fit to my specs (I'm really short). Trevor was highly professional and really cares about what he does. I know a few college players from the Houston area and every one of them uses impact.

Will be going back once my swing gets more consistent to see how much a change in head would benefit me
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
07fta07 said:

I'm amazed you are only at 2800 RPM with an attack angle that negative. I was pushing 3000 at around a -4.

New shaft and getting the angle closer to 0 has me down to 2200-2300.

I was fitted for the Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 70-S.

The heavier shaft with those characteristics fit my aggressive swing perfectly.

https://mygolfspy.com/shaft-review-fujikura-pro-2-0/

Bo really nailed the fitting.
jonj101
Thanks for the Impact recommendations - quick question, the Trevor that works there, did he used to work at Club Champion? I remember a Trevor there but he didn't do my fitting - I think it was done by a guy named Mark.
clintaggie04
AG
Same Trevor.
agracer
AG
E said:

Try a Titleist Thursday's... they do free fittings at select ranges/courses
This. Done this twice with irons and fairway woods
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ok...got fit. great experience. as many here said would be the case, the amount they charge seems pretty crazy.

being 6'6" and needing lengthened, extra stiff shafts and larger grips, is there anywhere online to accomplish all of that without paying through the nose?
khaos288
AG
ruddyduck said:

ok...got fit. great experience. as many here said would be the case, the amount they charge seems pretty crazy.

being 6'6" and needing lengthened, extra stiff shafts and larger grips, is there anywhere online to accomplish all of that without paying through the nose?
Got my kbs tour x-stiff on ebay from a reputable site for about 26$ a shaft. Then 13 tour velvets midsize for 72$. Had to buy my driver and 3w head used from other places, but got the shafts on ebay as well.

Overall spent less than 900, was quoted 2200 from the shop
Mr.Bond
AG
ruddyduck said:

If you want new, buying directly from the manufacturer is still at least 20 percent cheaper than the fitter. They con people into "rolling" shafts etc which is completely unnecessary
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
khaos288 said:

ruddyduck said:

Got my kbs tour x-stiff on ebay from a reputable site for about 26$ a shaft. Then 13 tour velvets midsize for 72$. Had to buy my driver and 3w head used from other places, but got the shafts on ebay as well.

Overall spent less than 900, was quoted 2200 from the shop

i have the specs so can do all of that online but what about adding length to the shafts?

sorry for the dumb questions, first time doing this.
khaos288
AG
When you get raw shafts they'll be full length: that will be over what you need still and whoever you have install them will just cut them to length. Where are you located?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.