Getting Fit

13,588 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jab
jj9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ruddyduck said:

khaos288 said:

ruddyduck said:

ok...got fit. great experience. as many here said would be the case, the amount they charge seems pretty crazy.

being 6'6" and needing lengthened, extra stiff shafts and larger grips, is there anywhere online to accomplish all of that without paying through the nose?
Got my kbs tour x-stiff on ebay from a reputable site for about 26$ a shaft. Then 13 tour velvets midsize for 72$. Had to buy my driver and 3w head used from other places, but got the shafts on ebay as well.

Overall spent less than 900, was quoted 2200 from the shop

i have the specs so can do all of that online but what about adding length to the shafts?

sorry for the dumb questions, first time doing this.

Not dumb questions at all. In fact, they are very good questions for someone who needs/wants custom spec'd out clubs.

If I were in your shoes, I'd call and place an order with Discounts Dan's. They are top notch when it comes to custom specs, and you'll likely save a bunch of money.

You won't find pricing on their website. Call them for a quote. If you order from DD, they will place the custom order directly with the OEM, and the OEM will drop-ship it to you.

https://www.discountdansgolf.com
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

ruddyduck said:

khaos288 said:

ruddyduck said:

ok...got fit. great experience. as many here said would be the case, the amount they charge seems pretty crazy.

being 6'6" and needing lengthened, extra stiff shafts and larger grips, is there anywhere online to accomplish all of that without paying through the nose?
Got my kbs tour x-stiff on ebay from a reputable site for about 26$ a shaft. Then 13 tour velvets midsize for 72$. Had to buy my driver and 3w head used from other places, but got the shafts on ebay as well.

Overall spent less than 900, was quoted 2200 from the shop

i have the specs so can do all of that online but what about adding length to the shafts?

sorry for the dumb questions, first time doing this.

Not dumb questions at all. In fact, they are very good questions for someone who needs/wants custom spec'd out clubs.

If I were in your shoes, I'd call and place an order with Discounts Dan's. They are top notch when it comes to custom specs, and you'll likely save a bunch of money.

You won't find pricing on their website. Call them for a quote. If you order from DD, they will place the custom order directly with the OEM, and the OEM will drop-ship it to you.

https://www.discountdansgolf.com
This is exactly what I would do except I'd use Lou's golf in Carrolton. Local business and what not if you're in DFW
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
khaos288 said:

When you get raw shafts they'll be full length: that will be over what you need still and whoever you have install them will just cut them to length. Where are you located?

i...feel a little stupid not knowing that, haha.

thank y'all very much for the feedback. i'm in dfw and i recognized lou's immediately as it is right next door to where i got fitted.
khaos288
AG
Yeah they can order a full set or if you can get away with just shafts they can do that too
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
ugh...just realized i left my specs at compugolf but the recommended shafts were kbs xtra-stiff something or other and they wanted $65/shaft plus the grip costs. with the purchase of the heads that ends up pretty damned steep.
khaos288
AG
Yep. Exactly what they recommended me.

Get the shafts from golf works and take them to Lou's with the spec sheet.
E
AG
Has anyone ever gotten a fitting to just optimize your current set?

I have Taylor Made R7's from 2009 that are still in good condition. Recently started playing more often and am taking lessons for the first time this summer and fall, so I'm not wanting to drop $1k on a new set of custom irons just yet. I am pretty short so I'm thinking that going to a fitter and seeing if changing the lie/length/stiffness of my current irons would be a much more economical solution.

Then if I am still playing religiously and set a goal of breaking 80, treat myself to a nice shiny new set of custom irons.
07fta07
AG
You're halfway toward $1k if you get a fitting and change shafts. I wouldn't spend the money on messing with irons that old until you're ready to buy new ones.
RooAg
AG
I need to get fit, really need to do a whole bag but thinking just doing irons to start but could go either way. I don't have a handicap and play 5-10 rounds per year but plan to start playing a lot more. Have a trip next year to play 7-8 courses in Ireland so I'm motivated.

I used to play more so have a decent swing, just not consistent due to lack of frequency. Birdie one hole, shoot a triple-bogey the next. Average round is ~95 (legitimately - I take my penalties) on an average to more difficult course. I have old Callaway X-16 irons so 15 years old, crappy wedges and older driver.

I live in Katy. My question to the group is, for my level, do I

A) go to PGA superstore for an iron fitting for $50 on sale right now, just focus on getting the right irons and do the rest over the next several months but go cheaper on fitting because I'm not great

B) full bag at PGASS for $250 and just buy the recommended clubs as I can but have the fitting done already

C) irons only at Impact Precision for $125 - is it really worth the extra $75 if I'm not that consistent or good yet

D) full bag at Impact for $350

Thanks in advance. Just really wondering if Impact is that much better that the Fitting Van Experience at PGASS to justify the increase, and any recommendations on doing full bag all at once vs just irons, then driver, then wedges, etc...
jj9000
AG
Yes, it is.

D is the right answer.

I wouldn't pay $10 for a PGA SS fitting.
07fta07
AG
Start with irons at PGA SS for that deal.

I'm a huge fan of Impact and use them exclusively but I will caution you that if you get fitted for long game at Impact, you're dropping over $1500 for a driver and 2 woods or a driver, wood, hybrid combo. They don't work with stock graphite shafts. Everything is an upcharge, so if you're not interested in spending 600-800 on a driver and 500+ on a wood, don't go get fitted there.

Irons and wedges at Impact will be more in line with anyone else because most manufacturers allow for no upcharge to other steel shafts within reason (DG, Project X, KBS...)

From what it sounds like you're looking for, PFA SS should be just fine. I'd take the $50 fitting and go from there as you're ready to add more clubs.
E
AG
Where does one get this $50 fitting from PGASS?
RooAg
AG
Irons, drivers and fairway/hybrid fittings are half off right now, at least in Katy. Normally $99 each.
bullitt
AG
Lurker here but wanted to say I went to Impact Precision today for a full fitting based on the board recommendations. When I rushed the process saying something was fine they said OK and let's try another shaft, club head, etc. They definitely did not let me walk out of there without something that was not right for my swing. Definitely satisfied with the process and overall experience.
Mr.Bond
AG
Red ass E2 Rebel?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bullitt
AG
Yes.
Mr.Bond
AG
Never forget the infamous Cole McQueen. Mike Bond '10
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bullitt
AG
Trying to PM but doesn't seem to be working.
Mr.Bond
AG
Just sent you one

htownag2007
AG
I had my driver fitting at Club Champion. I took my specs sheet and called Discount Dan's for prices. For the driver shaft, Dan's was over 4x cheaper than Club Champion. Is the shaft markup just that high, or is Dan's just a little too good to be true?
07fta07
AG
What shaft?
htownag2007
AG
Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.0
07fta07
AG
That's a $300 shaft.

The real shaft is not the same shaft as the ones PX makes for stock drivers that sit on shelves in stores. They may say the same thing or look the same, but they aren't the same shaft. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's definitely possible.
jj9000
AG
07fta07 said:

That's a $300 shaft.

The real shaft is not the same shaft as the ones PX makes for stock drivers that sit on shelves in stores. They may say the same thing or look the same, but they aren't the same shaft. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it's definitely possible.
Normally, I'd agree with you, as most OEM "made-for" shafts are watered down versions of the real-deal shafts.

But, in the case of the Handcrafted PX HZRDUS vs. Stock OEM off-the-shelf HZRDUS...they are the same shafts with different graphics.

No difference in the Handcrafted HZRDUS and the OEM HZRDUS.

Edit ...this is from True Temper...reason I know this is b/c I have a HZRDUS Yellow and was wondering the same thing (Handcrafted vs. OEM stock).

Quote:

TrueTemper, on 12 February 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Black- Very stiff shaft, low launching and spinning, getting a lot of its stiffness from a wider middle section. This wider midsection is great for players with aggressive tempos. The Handcrafted Tour version is available through PFC dealers, and at custom from Callaway, Nike, Ping and other OEMS as an up charge. The mass production version (same specs, same materials, produced in our mass production facility in Asia) is available at no up charge from Cobra (in King and F6+) and Taylormade (M1 and M2). PXG is using the Handcrafted Black as a stock option. Available now, 65, 75 and 85HY. MSRP on the woods is $300
jj9000
AG
htownag2007 said:

Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.0
Answering your question re: pricing:

Club Champion will charge you out the wazoo to spine/flo...epoxy tip...install grip...all at MSRP. None of which is needed vs. what Discount Dan's is offering drop shipped from the OEM.

But...if it's a TaylorMade club they fit you in...keep in mind that TaylorMade tips their shafts 1" from the factory.

So...you have to request that the HZRDUS Black be untipped (TM calls it soft-tipped 1") if you want it to play anywhere close to what you hit in your fitting.

I learned this the hard way...and if you go to TaylorMade's website and configure a "Custom Driver"...you'll see an option for Tipping.

You'll be able to add +1" to the tip as a custom option.

Think about it...there's no way to add 1" to the tip of a Driver shaft. All you're doing is telling them not to tip it their standard 1".

Hope this helps.
htownag2007
AG
Thanks for the info. I ordered just the shaft that I'll pair with the G400 LST that I'll get elsewhere, so I should end up with what I hit there.
jj9000
AG
htownag2007 said:

Thanks for the info. I ordered just the shaft that I'll pair with the G400 LST that I'll get elsewhere, so I should end up with what I hit there.

Correct.
texpert68
AG
07fta07 said:

I'm a huge fan of Impact and use them exclusively but I will caution you that if you get fitted for long game at Impact, you're dropping over $1500 for a driver and 2 woods or a driver, wood, hybrid combo. They don't work with stock graphite shafts. Everything is an upcharge, so if you're not interested in spending 600-800 on a driver and 500+ on a wood, don't go get fitted there.

Do you not have the ability to get fit and take your results elsewhere to shop for better pricing?
07fta07
AG
I could, but I go to a place like Impact to get things right, not to try to piece my way to a little bit of savings. I'd rather let them fit me and order the right stuff and build it correctly and spend a little more $. I know what I get back from them is exactly what I need.
AggieBaker09
AG
You guys that have gotten fitted at Impact Precision Golf in Spring, do you now what the ballpark price is to get fitted for irons and wedges? Assuming they fit me in one of the major brands.

I have heard great things about them but I don't know if I'm in the same ballpark as they are.
Jab
AG
Has anyone ever done a fitting with the Mike McGetrick Golf Academy over by the Golf Club of Houston in Atascocita?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.