Phil scenario - hypothetical

11,529 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
1982Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a fan of Phil for all he has done for the game and the US Ryder Cup team, but he should have been DQed. Had his initial response been that he was protesting the course condition, I might feel feel dirrerently but he initially made it clear
that was not the case. I don't accept the argument that it cost him 3 strokes - it might have cost him zero strokes against what score would have been had he left his putt alone. And I can't accept the argument that his action was not an advantage - just look at the ~16 players he finished in front of by virtue of the penalty versus a DQ. Finally, I can't accept comparing this situation to what you or I might have done against our weekend competition - not a valid comparison. He messed up, and got preferential treatment others should not expect.
powerbelly
AG
He got the exact treatment spelled out in the rules.
AgPrognosticator
AG
powerbelly said:

Despite the mob mentality on this forum that agrees with you, almost all of the golf analysts around the country disagree with you. Most experts are saying they believe the USGA got it wrong, including those at golf.com and those at Golf Digest.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This does not require our acceptance. It was the rule. It was enforced as written. Done.
AgPrognosticator
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This does not require our acceptance. It was the rule. It was enforced as written. Done.

You can't accept that people disagree with you.
powerbelly
AG
They believe the rule should be changed, correct?

I havent seen many who actually read the rule disagree with its application
DannyDuberstein
AG
Emotional clickbait. It's how things are these days. It's boring to say "yeah, it was a rule and they enforced it". It's more fun to wax on about injustice and legacies.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nah, I'm cool with people being wrong
AgPrognosticator
AG
powerbelly said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-the-usga-still-got-it-wrong-when-it-didnt-dq-phil-mickelson/amp

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/phil-mickelson-shouldve-been-disqualified-us-open-says-dan-patrick

https://www.si.com/golf/2018/06/16/phil-mickelson-putting-moving-ball-disqualify-shinnecock-us-open

And there are a lot more....but I'm done with this topic. The USGA will change the rule and it will be a moot issue.
powerbelly
AG
So those writers dont like the application of the rule. That doesn't make them correct. It is very black and white.

Every rule expert I have read has agreed with the USGA.
oldag00
AG
For those that think he should have been DQ'd, I'm curious what you believe is the proper penalty in this situation.

A player faces a very short "tap-in" putt and casually strokes it toward the hole and faollows it there all in a single motion. But instead of holing it, the ball violently horseshoes right back at him. In disbelief and possible disgust, the player strokes the ball into the hole before it had come to a complete stop. What's the appropriate penalty? 2 strokes or DQ?
watty
AG
As I said long ago, the hand wringing and moral posturing over this is why people make fun of the stuck up golf culture. He was penalized, and the rule, which was already in place to cover the offense, was applied properly. Any complaining beyond that is merely based on feelings and is completely subjective. There is an objective answer to this "problem": the rules of golf, which addressed the issue exactly as they were written to do.

This is truly a blcak and white situation. People are looking for gray where none exists.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Think of the children!!!!! (Which was basically Curtis Strange's last question to Phil)

USGA took out the emotion and went by the rule.
AgPrognosticator
AG
watty said:

As I said long ago, the hand wringing and moral posturing over this is why people make fun of the stuck up golf culture. He was penalized, and the rule, which was already in place to cover the offense, was applied properly. Any complaining beyond that is merely based on feelings and is completely subjective. There is an objective answer to this "problem": the rules of golf, which addressed the issue exactly as they were written to do.

This is truly a blcak and white situation. People are looking for gray where none exists.

It's interesting that you take such a firm position on this when tour players are taking to social media disagreeing with you. Molinari, Kim, and Appleby have all tweeted their disagreement with the USGa's ruling. Taken in addition to numerous authortarive golf outlets that believe he should have been DQ'd...and I really don't know what to say to you, other than, contrary to your staunch position many people (whose jobs and careers revolve around golf) disagree with you.
DannyDuberstein
AG
USGA and US Open. Don't care what some dirty foreigners think
AgPrognosticator
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

And Butch Harmon? and Jason Sobel?

Phil's own former coach thinks he should have been DQ'd by the USGA, and if not DQ'd withdrawn.
watty
AG
Tons of golf insiders and players are guilty of the ridiculous moral posturing that I find so silly. Being in a field doesn't mean you're automatically right. Often times it makes you subject to deep biases and group think, actually.
AgsMyDude
AG
WhoopN06 said:

I think Phil, rightly or wrongly, blames the USGA setup in 04 for costing him the win. This was a not so subtle form of protest of that and what he felt like was a very unfair pin location.

I haven't been following golf that long, mind explaining the 04 issue?
AgPrognosticator
AG
watty said:

Tons of golf insiders and players are guilty of the ridiculous moral posturing that I find so silly. Being in a field doesn't mean you're automatically right. Often times it makes you subject to deep biases and group think, actually.

Funny that you mention group think on this thread.
WhoopN06
Do you one better i'll let Phil explain it. Remember in 04 he putted off the green on 7 to make double bogey. He finished 2 strokes back of Goosen.

aggietony2010
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

powerbelly said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-the-usga-still-got-it-wrong-when-it-didnt-dq-phil-mickelson/amp

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/phil-mickelson-shouldve-been-disqualified-us-open-says-dan-patrick

https://www.si.com/golf/2018/06/16/phil-mickelson-putting-moving-ball-disqualify-shinnecock-us-open

And there are a lot more....but I'm done with this topic. The USGA will change the rule and it will be a moot issue.

The first article's only potential novel argument is that he stopped the ball, then stroked it. If you can see that happening in the video, then we need you to analyze the Zapruder films to see if you can find the real assassin.

The 2nd is a video, and I don't feel like watching a video.

The third states that 1-2 should be applied, but ignores the part of 1-2 that defers to other rules.
Swollen Thumb
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Dumb rule is dumb bro
Duckhook
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

DannyDuberstein said:

And Butch Harmon? and Jason Sobel?

Phil's own former coach thinks he should have been DQ'd by the USGA, and if not DQ'd withdrawn.

And David Fay, former Exec. Director of the USGA. Said on the telecast that he would have lobbied for DQ, but probably would have lost.
sellthefarm
AG
Here is the situation:

Leading by 3 on the final hole. Ball rests 2 feet above the hole for birdie and the green drops of dramatically below the hole and into a hazard. Player knows he can do what Phil did. Player hits the ball and sees that it will miss and role down into the hazard where a drop brings into play the possibility of another hit into the hazard which would cost him the tournament (ala Sergio at 13 and Spieth at 12). Instead of risking that he just reaches out and swipes the moving ball into the cup. Birdie putt misses, hit of moving ball goes in, plus two shots for the penalty = double boggy and he wins by 1.

If that option exists within the current rules then they need to be changed.
agsalaska
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

powerbelly said:

Despite the mob mentality on this forum that agrees with you, almost all of the golf analysts around the country disagree with you. Most experts are saying they believe the USGA got it wrong, including those at golf.com and those at Golf Digest.

I couldn't care less what they think.
rosco511
AG
Hahahahahaha. So a guy is leading by three so has to 3 putt from 2 feet and cannot get it done without invoking what Phil did...creative and unrealistic hypothetical.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Quote:

The third states that 1-2 should be applied, but ignores the part of 1-2 that defers to other rules.

Yep, just like almost everyone here is ignoring the parenthetical of 14-5 which refers back to 1-2.
powerbelly
AG
No one is ignoring that, it just doesn't apply.
watty
AG
sellthefarm said:

Here is the situation:

Leading by 3 on the final hole. Ball rests 2 feet above the hole for birdie and the green drops of dramatically below the hole and into a hazard. Player knows he can do what Phil did. Player hits the ball and sees that it will miss and role down into the hazard where a drop brings into play the possibility of another hit into the hazard which would cost him the tournament (ala Sergio at 13 and Spieth at 12). Instead of risking that he just reaches out and swipes the moving ball into the cup. Birdie putt misses, hit of moving ball goes in, plus two shots for the penalty = double boggy and he wins by 1.

If that option exists within the current rules then they need to be changed.

If the only possible way you can come up with this rule helping a player is to dream up an impossible hypothetical, I'd say it's a good rule.
aggietony2010
AG
AgPrognosticator said:

Quote:

Yep, just like almost everyone here is ignoring the parenthetical of 14-5 which refers back to 1-2.

If you look at other parentheticals of this fashion, they aren't addendums, but instead where to find similar situations.

It's not a "hey, this is the rule that takes precedence." It's a "hey, you're looking for a what happens with a ball that is influenced while moving. You've found what happens when it is stroked, here are other situations you may have been looking for"
byoung1052
AG
Yanny or Laurel?
AgsMyDude
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Do you one better i'll let Phil explain it. Remember in 04 he putted off the green on 7 to make double bogey. He finished 2 strokes back of Goosen.

Dang that sucks. I'd be pissed too.
Swollen Thumb
AG
watty said:

If the only possible way you can come up with this rule helping a player is to dream up an impossible hypothetical, I'd say it's a good rule.
I agree with this. My only hang up is that if you simply put your putter in the path of the ball and let it ricochet back toward the hole, it's an auto DQ, whereas if you in someway move your putter so that it can be called a "stroke" it's not. These two acts are accomplishing the same thing with the same intent, but treated completely different. I don't understand that logic.

If 2 shots is punitive enough (i.e. good rule per above) then it should also apply to stopping/redirecting a moving ball in play. On the other hand, if stopping/redirecting a moving ball in play warrants an auto DQ, then "stroking" a moving all in play (to redirect it) should warrant the same. I'm not here to argue which one would be appropriate, only saying that logically, what applies for one should also apply for the other.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

My only hang up is that if you simply put your putter in the path of the ball and let it ricochet back toward the hole, it's an auto DQ
It isn't an auto DQ. It is a 2 stroke penalty with the committee having the option to DQ the player.
rosco511
AG
Yeah, people citing rule 1-2 seem to forget that a 2 stroke penalty is the default penalty and DQ is only if a player gained a "significant advantage" or put another player at a "significant disadvantage." Based on the math we have discussed, even if rule 1-2 applied, I do not see how any one can claim Phil achieved a "significant advantage" from his actions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.