*****2018 US Open*****

38,961 Views | 668 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by _lefraud_
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Greens sticking early. So now the guys are gonna throw darts today?

I know that's what they had to do but won't erase what happened yesterday unfortunately.
watty
AG
terradactylexpress said:

The whole point of your argument is flawed though, the bottom half of the leaderboard shooting 5+ strokes better proves that it's the course that is determining who wins vs talent.

I'm not making an argument. I'm simply saying I love it. I'm actually agreeing with every criticism, even the fact that it's a terrible way to determine a national championship. I agree with all of that. And I love it. It's like, it's so insane, I can't help but love it.
mavsfan4ever
AG
watty said:

terradactylexpress said:

The whole point of your argument is flawed though, the bottom half of the leaderboard shooting 5+ strokes better proves that it's the course that is determining who wins vs talent.

I'm not making an argument. I'm simply saying I love it. I'm actually agreeing with every criticism, even the fact that it's a terrible way to determine a national championship. I agree with all of that. And I love it. It's like, it's so insane, I can't help but love it.

This is exactly how I feel. Everyone should just quit complaining about the course and enjoy the madness.
thepriceisright24
AG
I enjoy watching them struggle hitting out of deep rough when they miss fairways and similar circumstances. I don't enjoy them hitting putts that roll of the green because the greens and pin placements are absurd
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. There is difficult, then there is stupid. I guess some prefer the latter. A ho-hum missed putt rolling off the green, whose only sin was not going in the hole vs being too fast -> that is a stupid condition.

I guess some prefer to see the bearded lady. Me? I'd like to find the best golfer.
Ag_07
AG
I don't get the complaining either.

Don't like a putt going off the green...Don't hit it so hard.
Don't like the pin placement...Don't fire at the pin and leave it in a decent spot.

These guys are the best in the world and they act like the course setup should just be giving them low scores. It's the US Open...Make the adjustments and go play golf.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The issue is when the only way to avoid some of them going off the green is to not give it enough speed to ever get to the hole.

I think it's funny that even the USGA says they ****ed up, but some are still in that it's fine.
07fta07
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't get the complaining either.

Don't like a putt going off the green...Don't hit it so hard.
Don't like the pin placement...Don't fire at the pin and leave it in a decent spot.

These guys are the best in the world and they act like the course setup should just be giving them low scores. It's the US Open...Make the adjustments and go play golf.

We aren't talking about hitting a putt that rolls 6 feet by and then rolls off the green. We are talking about hitting a putt to the hole and having it roll off the green. There's a difference.
Chipotlemonger
AG

Gold
Ag_07
AG
To me that's a punishment for leaving it above the hole.

You know it's fast so leave it below the hole even if it means leaving it in the collection areas where you putt it up the hill. Or bump and run it like links golf to where you can leave yourself in a decent position.

I just think this is what it's come to as golfers get better and better over the years. In order to test them it has to be almost unfair.
thepriceisright24
AG
The USGA admitted it got out of control yesterday and they never own up to anything.
07fta07
AG
It's not only happening above the hole. They had pins so ridiculous that you could be below the hole, give a putt just enough speed to get to the hole, and then boom, it's gone.

That's exactly why people are saying it's unfair.
terradactylexpress
Agreed
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The issue is when the only way to avoid some of them going off the green is to not give it enough speed to ever get to the hole.

I think it's funny that even the USGA says they ****ed up, but some are still in that it's fine.
They admitted the wind had a greater effect than anticipated and late rounds were more punitive than earlier. That would be my only complaint. I love the difficulty of the US Open. BUT, it has to be the same course for everyone. That wasn't the case yesterday.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's not as simple as above or below. All sorts of ridges and tiers. There's also the issue that you can set it up so fast that the wind vs the player will actually send the ball along.

There's also a difference between a ball you may leave above and may roll 6-10 feet past if you miss (tough) vs a ball that is going to exit the green (dumb).
watty
AG
Playing an AFC Championship game in a blizzard is a terrible way to determine the better football team too but Lord knows I love every minute of that as well.

Once or twice a year, bring on the clown golf! So much fun. Maybe I'm just sadistic.
Ag_07
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

DannyDuberstein said:

They admitted the wind had a greater effect than anticipated and late rounds were more punitive than earlier. That would be my only complaint. I love the difficulty of the US Open. BUT, it has to be the same course for everyone. That wasn't the case yesterday.

I get that sentiment but it never will be. They can't control changing weather conditions and that's just a result of the draws.

Unless they do a shotgun start it'll be a different course throughout the day.
07fta07
AG
And that's on the USGA. When the wind blows 5mph faster than expected and it turns the course into a mess, you cut it too close. If this was a first, ok, you messed up. But it's not a first, it keeps happening. They need to take a big step back and figure out how to set up a golf course moving forward. They have too big of a hard on for "defending par" they're making a joke of the US Open.
Ag_07
AG
But for what it's worth the #1 golfer in the world is tied for the lead and the top 10 on the leaderboard has quite a few top 10 golfer's in the world so the best golfers are rising to the top.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Browniepoints covering where Phil's ball would have ended up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Phil's celebration on 13
Mr.Bond
AG
I love Phil
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

cheeky
AG
Ag_07 said:

To me that's a punishment for leaving it above the hole.

You know it's fast so leave it below the hole even if it means leaving it in the collection areas where you putt it up the hill. Or bump and run it like links golf to where you can leave yourself in a decent position.

I just think this is what it's come to as golfers get better and better over the years. In order to test them it has to be almost unfair.
Except they just illustrated the put during the broadcast from this morning before the cup was moved. They said the putt was slightly uphill.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Yup. Had the same thought on Friday. Cream is rising...
DannyDuberstein
AG
I can't watch Tiger selling TM twist face without the fake tiger's "my dad, eeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrlllll" entering my head every time.
Yesterday
AG
So Phil could have taken an unolayable and moved it back to the same spot on the green? Is this also true if it rolled into a hazard or do you have to drop in the hazard?
DannyDuberstein
AG
He could take an unplayable with 3 choices - yes, rehit from original location, drop within 2 clubs of whete it ended up, or go back indefinitely in a line keeping where the ball came to rest betweeen him and the hole. If it went into the bunker, the last 2 options require dropping in it. But not rehitting.
Yesterday
AG
So he can re-hit on the green even if it went into the hazard?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yes, you can always take a "stroke and distance" drop.
ORAggieFan
You cannot take an unplayable if you hit into a hazard. You must follow the rules of the hazard.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. But both yellow water hazard and red lateral hazard rules allow a stroke and distance drop (as does pretty much any situation)
ORAggieFan
Gotcha. Yes.
LHIOB
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Browniepoints covering where Phil's ball would have ended up.

Video of that anywhere?
Wildcat
AG
Whose the Limey bastage with the sanctimonious attitude?
Goose
AG
Wildcat said:

Whose the Limey bastage with the sanctimonious attitude?
I don't remember the name they gave for him, but that's a pretty accurate description.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.