*****2018 US Open*****

38,621 Views | 668 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by _lefraud_
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Call your shot:

Who wins?
What's the winning score?
And of course, what will the USGA do to upstage the tournament this year?
Aggie369
AG
Even though it's never been done before ill go DJ at -5 unless it rains for a day then -8

USGA is already cutting greens at different heights on some down hill slopes..... I've never heard of that. They need to go away
C ROC N
Bourbon with a splash of coke.
After 5 doubles.
Not let spectators drink alcohol on Sunday!

Mr.Bond
AG
USGA has single handily ruined my 2nd favorite tournament of the year. Just put the ****ing windmill and clown face on the green already
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bagger05
AG
What year was it that they were talking about making the tee boxes uphill or downhill lies? Did they ever actually do it? The fact that it was even a conversation illustrates the problem with these jokers. They always have to be the star of the show. Like an umpire with a power trip.
Mr.Bond
AG
Chambers I believe
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AustinCountyAg
Here's to hoping the tournament turns into a complete cluster **** and has all the players complaining. The PGA just needs to take the tournament over. USGA is gay.

Spieth wins
GDP
Justin Rose
My friend that is a member said the course is a little wet currently - not the usual firm and fast conditions.
Therefore, I think minus 7 is your winning score.
Now for my Vegas longshot - USGA will not have any major screwups this year.
watty
AG
McIlroy's comments about the USGA seemed spot on. They overthink everything because they're obsessed with E. Just set the course up properly and then let the guys play. Don't be so reactionary and overthink the setup.

As for this week, hard to imagine Spieth contending. His last five events were cut, 41, 21, 31, and cut. Obviously anything can happen but his game is not good right now.

I'm never good at picking surprise contenders but the obvious ones, DJ, Rose, Rahm, and Day stand out to me.

And of course Tiger, his ball striking the last few tournaments has been good enough to contend in a major, but will his putter continue to be cold? If he can just putt average, he can possibly contend, and if he putts well, he can win.
bagger05
AG
I don't like it when a US Open doesn't feel like a US Open. A big part of that for me is difficult scoring.

Worse, though, is when it doesn't even feel like a major (like Erin Hills). I don't want to see a leaderboard bunched up at -8, -9, -10, -11. When that's the case it usually boils down to a tournament where everyone is making good shots and the winner is who is putting the best.

It's okay if people go low, but make them earn it.
The Milkman
AG
I want it as close to even par as possible, but by the way things are going it will probably be Justin Rose at -8. I'll be pulling for Rickie though.

I don't get why they refuse to make it hard where it counts. They worry about how tight the lies are around the greens, but these guys can all pitch it off tight lies from 25 yards and put it within 5 feet no problem. Instead of dealing with that they need to tighten the fairways.

In 2004 at Shinnecock the fairways were averaging ~25 yards wide. This week they are over 40. Don't give these guys football fields to land a ball. If they have to take an iron or wood off the tee instead of driver, it takes the 9 iron out of their hand and puts em with a club that wont hold the green nearly as well
bagger05
AG
The Milkman said:

I want it as close to even par as possible, but by the way things are going it will probably be Justin Rose at -8. I'll be pulling for Rickie though.

I don't get why they refuse to make it hard where it counts. They worry about how tight the lies are around the greens, but these guys can all pitch it off tight lies from 25 yards and put it within 5 feet no problem. Instead of dealing with that they need to tighten the fairways.

In 2004 at Shinnecock the fairways were averaging ~25 yards wide. This week they are over 40. Don't give these guys football fields to land a ball. If they have to take an iron or wood off the tee instead of driver, it takes the 9 iron out of their hand and puts em with a club that wont hold the green nearly as well
EXACTLY!

To me this is a good US Open hole:
- 475 yard par 4
- Fairly generous landing areas with some moderate trouble to avoid until you hit about 280.
- Once you get to 280 it gets TIGHT and FAST.
- Rough or native areas are gnarly and basically a 1/2 stroke penalty because you'll probably just have to hack it out.
- Pin is short with trouble guarding the front or long where going over the green is VERY punitive.
- Greens are very fast.

So now, if you want to pull driver then go ahead. But you better hit it straight because otherwise you're hacking out of the rough or bring a possible unlucky lie into play.

Want to take an iron off the tee? Fine, but it's not a free pass because you still have to navigate a little trouble. And oh, by the way, if you lay back you're going to be hitting a five or six iron to a very fast green where you have a pin that is hard to get to.

So a "routine par" is two good shots followed by a challenging two putt. Or they have to hit a couple of great shots to have a chance to make a birdie.
The Shank Ag
Tiger is within a shot of the lead on Sunday but Justin Rose wins at 11 under

USGA cuts each green differently. Players leaving way short and way long depending on hole
cr06gis
AG
I'll be in attendance this year. So pumped.
Yesterday
AG
Pulling for Phil or Rickie
Forum Troll
AG
I'd be happy if Tiger, Phil (career grand slam please), or Fowler would win. In fact, I'd rather no first time major winner unless its Fowler.

Prediction: Phil finishes T2 and someone with like 2 lifetime tour wins will win.
Quinn
AG
I feel the same way about no first time guys besides Rickie. I want to see some of these guys start stacking up majors. I'd love to see DJ take this one this week.
Post removed:
by user
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Tiger, DJ, and Dechambeau practice round live on youtube now.

dc509
AG
bagger05 said:

Call your shot:

Who wins?
Rickie Fowler
Some type of ridiculous rules check that forever, and determines that there was no infraction.
aggiedent
AG
Hitting the ball all over the place.......short game looking rough........no real chance to win................so I'll take Mickelson................ -2.
KC_Ag14
AG
This grouping has to be Ryder Cup-related.
Quinn
AG
bagger05 said:

Call your shot:

Who wins?
DJ
Nothing.
Quinn
AG
Fried Egg's Shinnecock Preview p1

Fried Egg's Shinnecock Preview p2

Lot's of interesting stuff from Fried Egg about the Shinnecock, it's restoration, and the changes to the course since 2004.

Wildcat
AG
Piece on 2004 Open when they burned-up the course

I only vaguely recall this. It's worth the time.

KatyAg01
AG
Rose
The USGA will have to work really, really hard to screw something up enough for fans to notice or care (terrible Fox coverage will steal the show here).
Ag_07
AG
Fox's coverage was top notch the past couple years.

They had a really rough start at Chambers but the last two years have been awesome. Even with Joe Buck
Mr.Bond
AG
I think overall fox has done a fabulous job. I grow beyond tired of the interviews CBS and NBC do during coverage. Show the damn tournament

WhoopN06
100%. Fox by far has the best golf coverage of the major networks at this point.
Quinn
AG
Fox has done an awesome job the last two years. Plus, they have 9+ hours of coverage every day.
Ag_07
AG
Browsing social media and it looks like the course was playing pretty tough today. Seems like the wind was blowing and it was hard and fast.
LHIOB
AG
Justin Rose -4
LHIOB
AG
Ag_07 said:

Fox's coverage was top notch the past couple years.

They had a really rough start at Chambers but the last two years have been awesome. Even with Joe Buck

Why is Joe Buck bad?
Ag_07
AG
I'm just not a fan. He's gotten better but still doesnt do it for me. It's more of a personal thing I think.
WhoopN06
I kind of get this. He has such a distinctive voice and we're used to hearing it during football and baseball games. It's unsettling.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.