TAMU Women's Coach

25,467 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Slmnsam
VegasT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have we lost any players to transfers? Still no roster posted for upcoming season.
aggiefan1988
It's all quiet except for Coach Gaston burning up the recruiting trail. She knows she needs to get players and leveraging her international contacts. Lost some committed players but not officially roster spots ---yet.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Amber Park won the Texas State Women's Amateur this past week and another player made it to the round of 16 so we have some talent on the team.
MarkPro
Heard this weekend that Katerina Bruner (former Aggie Women's Golf Team Member, and don't ask me to spell her maiden name!) will be leaving her position as an Assistant Pro at Traditions to become the Assistant Coach at Texas A&M. Congratulations to a wonderful person. Hate to lose her at the club, but she will be a real asset in her new role.

Gig 'em Kat!
Bobaloo
MarkPro said:

Heard this weekend that Katerina Bruner (former Aggie Women's Golf Team Member, and don't ask me to spell her maiden name!) will be leaving her position as an Assistant Pro at Traditions to become the Assistant Coach at Texas A&M. Congratulations to a wonderful person. Hate to lose her at the club, but she will be a real asset in her new role.

Gig 'em Kat!

She's a GREAT kid. Very happy for Kat.
aggiefan1988
Great for Kat. Great young lady.
VegasT
AG
MarkPro said:

Gig 'em Kat!
Katerina is a great teacher and deserving of the position. Good Luck Kat!

I would suspect Coach Gaston should be moving into her new digs at the Aggie Learning Center soon. It will be exciting to see what women's golf will become because there is so much potential here.

I hope she gives the verbal commits from Trelle a serious look over before discounting them.
Bobaloo
Not sure if true but I'm hearing we are getting a couple kids from Southern Cal, dropping three current players and honoring the 2018 signees. The 2019 commits are toast. Also one girl who agreed to XFER no longer has a spot in the team. Let us see how it plays out.
JYDog90
AG
If you really think about this, what is going on with the women's golf program shows a lot about Woodward's mindset as far as producing a winner in all sports.

Can you imagine Jimbo coming in and cleaning house like this?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just really interesting to watch this play out.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aggiefan1988
Not surprised. Remember Coach Gaston a few years ago had 5 USGA champions on her team at one time. I know that someone on this board referenced the Texas Women's Am Champ being a current player but USC is an entirely different deal. Coach Gaston has been working all summer to get her kids into College Station. With our facilities and her reputation, it is not that hard.
VegasT
AG
I feel for those that had verbals. I know of one in Austin that had their high school's websites bragging about them playing for A&M in 2019.

Hopefully other DI's will pounce on them because they are great golfers.
_lefraud_
AG
If she wants to attend A&M, then she should, and just talk to Gaston about being a "walk-on". If she's looking to have some of her school paid for (and guaranteed playing time) then she should look elsewhere.

Fortunately/unfortunately college athletics is a business, but as a player, I'd want to know exactly what I was getting into, instead of the alternative.
aggiefan1988
_lefraud_ said:

If she wants to attend A&M, then she should, and just talk to Gaston about being a "walk-on". If she's looking to have some of her school paid for (and guaranteed playing time) then she should look elsewhere.

Fortunately/unfortunately college athletics is a business, but as a player, I'd want to know exactly what I was getting into, instead of the alternative.
Very well said...could not agree more.
Quinn
AG
VegasT
AG
Great article on Coach Gaston
article link

VegasT
AG
Roster finally posted for 2018-2019.
Slmnsam
This is what Andrea Gaston is working to change.....

The 4 Semi-finalist for the 2018 US Women's Amateur are from the SEC.

Kristen Gillman is from Austin but plays for Alabama (Already won this before, could be a 2 Time Champion)
Kaylee Benton plays for Arkansas
Lauren Stephenson plays for Alabama
Jiwon Jeon will play for Alabama starting 2018-19
_lefraud_
AG
Amazing what a great football program can do for other sports, hopefully A&M will attract the same as Alabama one day. Kind of like Justin Thomas attending Alabama for golf.
Slmnsam
Gillman makes a 40ft putt to win 18 and tie Match....then wins on 19th Hole.

Jeon birdies 18 with a 50ft putt and then makes birdie on 23rd Hole to defeat Bama's Stephenson.

Gillman vs. Jeon (Bama vs. Bama) in Final Sunday.
Slmnsam
Kristen Gillman dominates to win her second US Women's Amateur 7&6

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.