Could we lose Colonial?

6,534 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quinn
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the National is one that will get the axe. The agreement with Congressional was terminated and it is going back to Avenal this year.

Too bad because that is a great tournament that is always played on fantastic courses.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Better to lose National than the Colonial, IMO.
dc509
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Better to lose National than the Colonial, IMO.

Agreed. An interesting one to follow will be to see what happens with the Byron. Moving to Trinity Forrest is going to present some challenges that they will need to overcome.
agsalaska
AG
No doubt about that. I am very skeptical about the new tournament course in Dallas.

Of course, as we all know, the course as very little to do with it. Logistics doesn't have much either. Neither does course popularity, though it can help(see Tampa). It's all about sponsors and luck.
grego
AG
Quote:

Based on what I'm hearing from members at Colonial, they would be just fine not hosting the event starting in 2019.
There is a very small group of mostly older members that feel that way. But I would say the vast vast majority want the event they just don't want the club losing big dollars on it.
Quinn
AG
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/golf/2018/04/18/colonial-country-club-close-landing-title-sponsor-fort-worths-72-year-old-pga-tour-event

Schwab likely to sponsor Colonial starting in 2019.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.