Could we lose Colonial?

6,533 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quinn
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm friends with a very predominant member of Colonial and is on the board for the tourney. He told me that their Sponsor Dean and Deluca hasn't paid their full share for the 2017 tournament and they've completely backed out of 2018 leaving Colonial high and dry a mere 6 months before they tee it up again.

The interesting thing is that the board isn't feeling the love from the PGA tour. In fact he's a bit nervous that the tour may push for one event in DFW especially with the move of the PGA championship. The one thing Colonial has going for it is that it's the oldest on tour and the players really enjoy the course. It will be interesting to hear the development of this.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would hate for this to happen. Hopefully it goes on and some sponsors pick it up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would bet on them pulling it together. Between Hogan, the longest running tournament at one location, and the classic layout so many of the players seem to love, I can't believe they won't get something worked out.
AustinCountyAg
It could be just me but it seems like most of the top players don't play the colonial? Kind of a lower tier field of players of recent if memory serves me right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
The field hasn't been fantastic, but there are a number of big names that always seem to be there and bolster it pretty well. But some of the bombers seem to take it off. I also think it could use a better date.
agsalaska
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

It could be just me but it seems like most of the top players don't play the colonial? Kind of a lower tier field of players of recent if memory serves me right?
The field is really no different than any other regular PGA event.

This is about the 5th time Colonial has had such a crisis in the last 30 years or so. I would be surprised if they lost the tournament,
powerbelly
AG
I guess there isnt a Fort Worth based company willing to step up?
jgh85Ag
AG
D&D seemed like a weird sponsor anyway.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
12thMan2012
AG
Under Armour Colonial
Yesterday
AG
jgh85Ag said:

D&D seemed like a weird sponsor anyway.

Very weird. Colonial didn't have a whole lot of options at that point and Dean & Deluca was just bought by a multi billion dollar business so they weren't afraid of them skipping town.

I'm hoping American Airlines or Lockheed Martin can step up. I'd be surprised if the PGA Tour stopped coming to Colonial too but my friends opinion on the matter made it seem like they're stressing a bit.
Matsui
AG
Colonial is an invite so some players get in that have no chance of making it into a regular tour stop. Rumors also colonial moved their member guest to may from October as well. It isn't looking favorable.
agsalaska
AG
Matsui said:

Colonial is an invite so some players get in that have no chance of making it into a regular tour stop. Rumors also colonial moved their member guest to may from October as well. It isn't looking favorable.

Don't think that's true.

The tournament will be played in 2018.
Matsui
AG
I'm referencing 2019.
JR Ewingford
Would be a shame. Met some great people out there over the years. It's something I look forward to every year.
grego
AG
agsalaska said:

Matsui said:

Don't think that's true.

The tournament will be played in 2018.
It is anything but a certainty.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The PGA will cover it if need be. Not going to leave an open date and too late for a 2018 switcharoo. But if it comes to that, that could be the last
grego
AG
PGA will not cover. Another event in the wings. And they didn't cover first dean and delicate year
powerbelly
AG
grego said:

PGA will not cover. Another event in the wings. And they didn't cover first dean and delicate year

What event could be ready to go on less than a years notice?
DannyDuberstein
AG
At 6 months out, would be a helluva undertaking given the logistics involved.
Yesterday
AG
From what I heard from the board they will have it in 2018. The PGA tour won't eat the title sponsor but apparently they will allow a multiple sponsorship deal where several companies can throw in together. American Airlines has already thrown their hat in.

After that it still looks dicey.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Was listening to the Teebox on the Ticket 2 weeks ago and they said someone from leadership at Colonial reached out directly saying it was on for sure for 2018 (one of the hosts had tweeted or commented in some way on-line regarding the questions looming and this individual responded). He didn't name names tho since the response was private.
The Shank Ag
Bell Helicopter? Lockheed? Jerry jones? Mark Cuban? Bass brothers?
grego
AG
The 2018 tourney hasn't been decided either way. Hopeful but anything spoken as a certainty is untrue at this point.
Quinn
AG
http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/12/13/american-airlines-other-companies-stepping-up-to-save-coloni.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

American Airlines, XTO, and other companies are stepping up to save the Colonial Invitational.
Quinn
AG
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article188883194.html
jgh85Ag
AG
I hope BNSF steps up in some capacity.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
jonj101
I wish some Houston companies would step up to save our event.
19AG84
AG
jonj101 said:

I wish some Houston companies would step up to save our event.
The fourth largest City in the USA may not have an event? That would be weird and a terrible thing.
Prior22
AG
The 2018 tournament is happening. Based on what I'm hearing from members at Colonial, they would be just fine not hosting the event starting in 2019. If you look at a tournament like the Heritage at Harbor Town -- went through a similar situation -- the Tour isn't going to throw Colonial a lifeline. Would hate to see DFW lose the two-event swing, but it's looking likely at this point.
jja79
AG
I'm not completely up on the tax changes but aren't entertainment deductions affected? If that's so I'd expect tournaments to have a tougher time selling their sponsored hospitality venues.
Matsui
AG
I thought the new tax code was just to donations to higher learning
jja79
AG
That's why I said I'm not up on it all. I thought I heard entertainment deductions might be affected.
birdman
I like the event because it's in Texas and it's history. But I really enjoy watching it because the course is different. I love the shot makers course, same with Riviera in California. I can watch a bomb and gouge every other week.

PGA won't lift a finger because it likely has Asian spot waiting with baited breath.
Aggie369
AG
Im hearing there's a 2nd company in ft worth looking to partner with American Airlines to sponsor the event
dc509
AG
The local news said this week that Colonial is safe for another year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.