Spieth

6,260 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by _lefraud_
CapCityAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

Isn't it just Spieth, Eldrick and Nicklaus with 10 PGA Tour wins before age 24?

Tiger is youngest, then Jordan, then Jack.

Whole ton of cattiness on this thread from the girls.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Once Jordan starts sniffing around the talent at the area Waffle House, watch out.
watty
AG
I had no idea Fowler was dating the famous pole vault girl. It's so insane that that picture of her, which I remember when it went viral, changed the course of her life in such a way.
ORAggieFan
The difference between Spieth and Tiger is huge. Tiger just dominated. Spieth has won, but rarely just dominates. Lots on tour now in their best game would dominate Spieth's best game, IMO. But, Spieth is more consistent. Spieth throws darts with irons and gets a hot putter vs. the way almost all the others win these days.

I hate comparing across generations, but I'm very interested in how Spieth continues with what I consider much deeper and better fields than Tiger had.
agsalaska
AG
I agree with most of that.

Comparing him or anyone else to Tiger is not really fair. Speith has an opportunity to put himself in rare company with the likes of Phil, Watson, Singh, Trevino, etc. But Tiger, and Nicklaus, stand alone.
t - cam
AG
Tiger had 9 wins in his first 61 events. Jordan won his 100th event to get to 9. By the time Tiger had played 100 events he was at 28 wins.

Here is where the results stood at 9 wins base on # of starts:
Tiger Woods 61
Rory McIlroy 82
Jordan Spieth 100
Phil Mickelson 104
Dustin Johnson 162
Jason Day 177

Jordan is on Pace for a very solid Phil Mickelson career which would put him among the top 10-12 golfers of all time most likely.
jj9000
AG
So from 62-100 (38) starts Tiger won (28-9) = 19 times ?

Yep...that's the dominance I remember.

Early-mid Sunday rolling around and not asking who is in the lead...but...asking how much Tiger is leading by.
KC_Ag14
AG
The last 3 posts are spot on. Spieth is not in the same stratosphere as Tiger and Jack. But as ORAggieFan stated, the amount of talent that Spieth is going up against cannot be disregarded. With the last 7 Major winners being first timers, this is arguably the most parity at the top that the PGA Tour has ever experienced.
khaos288
AG
tandy miller said:

She's a smokeshow compared to the hoggs i poke
Lot of honesty here.
tandy miller
AG
Best policy
t - cam
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

The last 3 posts are spot on. Spieth is not in the same stratosphere as Tiger and Jack. But as ORAggieFan stated, the amount of talent that Spieth is going up against cannot be disregarded. With the last 7 Major winners being first timers, this is arguably the most parity at the top that the PGA Tour has ever experienced.

No tiger and no jack opening up a lot of opportunities for average players to win.
White Liberals=The Worst
t - cam said:

KC_Ag14 said:

No tiger and no jack opening up a lot of opportunities for average players to win.
That's true too. I think random newbies are winning more because there's no Jack or Tiger, but I also think Tiger and Jack would have won less with this current field of players.
jonj101
jj9000 said:

Early-mid Sunday rolling around and not asking who is in the lead...but...asking how much Tiger is leading by.
Unfortunately I missed that entire time period - by the time I discovered golf he had won his last major and Elin had already served him up a 9 iron and a 9 figure settlement.

Closest I've came to seeing it in real time was 2013.
t - cam
AG
jonj101 said:

jj9000 said:

Unfortunately I missed that entire time period - by the time I discovered golf he had won his last major and Elin had already served him up a 9 iron and a 9 figure settlement.

It really was incredible and I hated it as I have always been a Phil guy. It was great for golf though.
White Liberals=The Worst
jonj101 said:

jj9000 said:

Same here. Didn't get into golf until around 07/08. But didn't really get into it enough to start watching it until a few years later. Wish I would have cared about the game during Tiger's prime. I'm jealous of people who were able to witness that level of dominance.
jonj101
Wycliffe_03 said:

jonj101 said:

jj9000 said:

Same here. Didn't get into golf until around 07/08. But didn't really get into it enough to start watching it until a few years later. Wish I would have cared about the game during Tiger's prime. I'm jealous of people who were able to witness that level of dominance.
Yep - I never touched a club until May of 2010. Been addicted ever since. When I've went back and watched those youtube vids of the tournaments hes won, the US Opens, I think of how crazy it would have been to witness that real time.
jj9000
AG
To add to my post above...for those that didn't get to see it firsthand...this is how it went down.

Going into those Sundays...Tiger was either in the lead...tied for the lead...or a couple of strokes off the lead.

There was a mental aspect of the Sunday pairing with Tiger that just destroyed guys.

It was almost automatic that whoever Tiger was paired with that had the lead...tied for the lead...or close...would just wilt under pressure.

It was crazy to watch these guys...at the top of their games...just crumble. Over and over again.

They knew they were going to lose before they hit their 1st tee shot.
powerbelly
AG
jj9000 said:

I am probably alone, but I hated this stretch. It wasn't very fun watching tiger run away with everything.
jj9000
AG
powerbelly51 said:

jj9000 said:

I am probably alone, but I hated this stretch. It wasn't very fun watching tiger run away with everything.
Nah...you're not alone...it's the dynasty vs. parity debate that goes along with all sports.

Some people hate the Patiots...90s Cowboys...Yankees...etc. because they dominate(d).
KC_Ag14
AG
Really don't think I would go so far as to calling the Dustin Johnson's, Jason Day's, Rory McIlroy's and Jordan Spieth's "average". That would've been better competition for Tiger than the David Duval's and Vijay Singh's he went up against in the early 2000s. Still think he would've dominated, but the depth of top-quality player is better now than it was then.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree that you weren't alone. While I was totally awed by his game and am really glad I got to see the game played at that level, some of the runaways were boring as hell on Sunday which I sort of resented. I remember thinking that it was cool to witness what he did at the Masters in 1997, but I don't remember much from Sunday other than the finishing holes because I checked out for large parts of it. Same with the 2000 US Open. That said, they weren't all laughers. He did have some close ones that were very exciting to watch. But a few of those early laughers did kind of turn me against him because they were taking away one of my favorite sporting events to watch - a competitive Sunday round at a major.

What's still interesting to me though was that Tiger never came from behind in a final round to win a major. He was always lead dog (or at least tied for lead dog) going into Sunday.
ORAggieFan
I've been watching Tiger since he won his first US Amateur in that stupid ass hat. As a kid, I thought he was awesome. Then when on the PGA you got to see a different side of him and it didn't take long for me to become a hater.

But, for those who missed it. Imagine the way Koepka played the US Open. Then make the rest of the field play with 20 year old clubs and pinnacles while Koepka keeps all his equipment. That's what it was like.

Although, to the post above about when he was close on Sunday, that record was pretty bad (or was that only at majors). It was tied/with the lead he completely dominated/closed the door.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think that history of holding the lead after 54 holes in every win just related to majors. He did have some come-from-behind non-major wins.

That said, major or not, his style was usually to slowly strangle the field for 4 days. He wasn't typically the guy that was going to go out and shoot 62 and then hold on, or shoot 62 on Sunday to come from behind and win. He'd grind out steady round after steady round. So at many of those majors, the field was tapped out by the end of Saturday and had no resistance to offer on Sunday.
watty
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think that history of holding the lead after 54 holes in every win just related to majors. He did have some come-from-behind non-major wins.

That said, major or not, his style was usually to slowly strangle the field for 4 days. He wasn't typically the guy that was going to go out and shoot 62 and then hold on, or shoot 62 on Sunday to come from behind and win. He'd grind out steady round after steady round. So at many of those majors, the field was tapped out by the end of Saturday and had no resistance to offer on Sunday.

Yep. Did y'all see the insane stat about how many consecutive rounds he shot under the field average? I forget the number but it was mind boggling.
DadAG10
khaos288 said:

tandy miller said:

Lot of honesty here.
Well, if "hoggs i poke" means his right hand.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Other than just the intangible Tiger intimidation factor, you also had guys chasing Tiger just doing simple math. If you're down by 3 to Tiger going in to the last round of a major, and in your mind you are 100% expecting him to shoot anywhere from 2 to 4 under, then you're telling yourself before the last round that you need to shoot around 65 to just give yourself a chance to win. In a major setup.

That mindset leads to pressure and risk taking, and those combine to result in mistakes. Then you're dead. 3 back quickly turns into 5 back (or more) and it's over.
watty
AG
Here's the article about Tiger's streak of rounds beating the field average for the day. It's unbelievable.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios
Marauder Blue 6
AG
t - cam said:

Jordan is on Pace for a very solid Phil Mickelson career which would put him among the top 10-12 golfers of all time most likely.
Spieth has a 12 year head start on Mickelson as far as winning majors. It's not inconceivable for him to reach double-digit majors and close to 50 wins by the time he's done. He'd be well within the top 10.
birdman
I saw some of that intimidation.

More frequently, I saw guys say "I can't beat him. So I'm playing to protect my top 5 paycheck". Any they did that from first tee box.
White Liberals=The Worst
DadAG10 said:

khaos288 said:

tandy miller said:

Lot of honesty here.
Well, if "hoggs i poke" means his right hand.
He's a lefty, but no stranger to "the stranger".
White Liberals=The Worst
powerbelly51 said:

jj9000 said:

[/Oldschool Tiger fanboys]
powerbelly
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

powerbelly51 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh, I know I am an *******, but it has nothing to do with Tiger.
White Liberals=The Worst
powerbelly51 said:

Wycliffe_03 said:

powerbelly51 said:

jj9000 said:

Oh, I know I am an *******, but it has nothing to do with Tiger.
Edited to more appropriate meme but was too slow
powerbelly
AG
I will edit out the gif in my reply.
t - cam
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

Really don't think I would go so far as to calling the Dustin Johnson's, Jason Day's, Rory McIlroy's and Jordan Spieth's "average". That would've been better competition for Tiger than the David Duval's and Vijay Singh's he went up against in the early 2000s. Still think he would've dominated, but the depth of top-quality player is better now than it was then.

I'm calling Danny willet average and guys like that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.