Spieth

6,221 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by _lefraud_
t - cam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

t - cam said:

Jordan is on Pace for a very solid Phil Mickelson career which would put him among the top 10-12 golfers of all time most likely.
Spieth has a 12 year head start on Mickelson as far as winning majors. It's not inconceivable for him to reach double-digit majors and close to 50 wins by the time he's done. He'd be well within the top 10.

I'd guess right now he wins 40 and 6. That's historically great.
t - cam
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

Really don't think I would go so far as to calling the Dustin Johnson's, Jason Day's, Rory McIlroy's and Jordan Spieth's "average". That would've been better competition for Tiger than the David Duval's and Vijay Singh's he went up against in the early 2000s. Still think he would've dominated, but the depth of top-quality player is better now than it was then.

Vijay has like 25 wins on tour. Id be willing to bet only Jordan and Rory get more than that in their career out of this current crew.
White Liberals=The Worst
powerbelly51 said:

I will edit out the gif in my reply.
You are NOT an a-hole, that was a very selfless move my friend.
White Liberals=The Worst
dp
White Liberals=The Worst
There just seem to be a ton of highly athletic, physically fit dudes in their 20's and low 30's on tour who seem to have lived their entire lives to play golf (Tiger most inspire many of them at a very young age). Was the field anything like that back in Tiger's day? Watching old highlights it looks like a bunch of old washed up men vs. Tiger. But part of that may have been the "old man style" clothing everyone wore back then. Would Dustin Johnson, and some of these other young bucks who can crush the ball, have also annihilated that competition?

I just googled 1990's golfers and this beautiful fella came up. No way he would stand a chance against the golfers of today, right?

powerbelly
AG
I dont think so. Tiger had an incredible mental game that I dont think anyone on tour right now has.
KC_Ag14
AG
Once again, I feel Vijay played in much less talented pool of professionals than Rory or Jordan are currently playing against. Rory and Spieth are both almost halfway to 25 already and they've got 20 years left on tour barring injury. In my opinion, they're both better now than Vijay was in his prime. Will say he did have one hell of a year in 2004.
t - cam
AG
KC_Ag14 said:

Once again, I feel Vijay played in much less talented pool of professionals than Rory or Jordan are currently playing against. Rory and Spieth are both almost halfway to 25 already and they've got 20 years left on tour barring injury. In my opinion, they're both better now than Vijay was in his prime. Will say he did have one hell of a year in 2004.

I agree, they are the tiger and Phil comp of the early 00's. They probably won't achieve what those 2 did combined as I think both will end up with Mickelson #'s. My point is day, Dustin or anyone else of this generation will do well to measure up to Vijay or Ernie els.
agsalaska
AG
I think it's very important to remember, or understand, how much the game has changed since the late 90s. And I'm not talking about the crazy advanced of clubs. The change that had the most impact, by far, Is the ball.

That picture of Kite. He probably gave more than 90% to only 2 or 3 shots per round. Anyone who swung as hard as he could on every shot, especially his tee shot, was going to shoot an 80. Period. Now swinging hard is taught and eexcused at the highest level. But today's draw into the left rough or even the left side of the fairway was a pull hook out of bounds with the old golf balls. Just a different game today that better athletes can take advantage of
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Tiger's 142 Made cuts is a record that I can't see being broken anytime soon.

He only has 16 missed cuts in 300+ starts.

• 1997 Bell Canadian Open, 70-76--146 (+6)
  • 2005 EDS Byron Nelson Championship, 69-72--141 (+1)
  • 2005 Funai Classic, 68-73--141 (-3)
  • 2006 U.S. Open, 76-76--152 (+12)
  • 2009 British Open, 71-74--145 (+5)
  • 2010 Quail Hollow Championship, 74-79--153 (+9)
  • 2011 PGA Championship, 77-73--150 (+10)
  • 2012 Wells Fargo Championship, 71-73--144 (E)
  • 2012 Greenbrier Classic, 71-69--140 (E)
  • 2014 Quicken Loans National, 74-75--149 (+7)
  • 2014 PGA Championship, 74-74--148 (+6)
  • 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open, 73-82--155 (+13)
  • 2015 U.S. Open, 80-76--156 (+16)
  • 2015 British Open, 76-75--151 (+7)
  • 2015 PGA Championship, 75-73--148 (+4)
  • 2017 Farmers Insurance Open, 76-72--148 (+4)
Killin Me Smalls
AG
How many withdraws / DNF's does he have?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Here's the number leading through 2015. I know he had one(?) this year?

Here is a breakdown of Woods's withdrawals on the PGA Tour, in chronological order:
- 1998: Woods withdraws before the start of the Kemper Open due to a back injury
- 2006: Woods withdraws before teeing off in the third round of the Nissan Open citing the flu
- 2010: Woods withdraws from the Players Championship after eight holes in the final round citing a neck injury
- 2011: Woods withdraws after nine holes in the first round of the Players Championship citing a knee injury
- 2012: Woods withdraws from the WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral after 12 holes in the final round citing a left leg injury
- 2014: Woods withdraws after 13 holes in the final round of the Honda Classic citing lower back spasms
- 2014: Woods withdraws after eight holes in the final round of the Bridgestone Invitational, citing lower back spasms.
- 2015: Woods withdraws after 11 holes in the first round of the Farmers Insurance Open, citing back pain.
EKUAg
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Spieth got after his caddy several times yesterday, and most of the time it wasn't his caddy's fault. Jordan couldn't make a putt outside of three feet to save his life on the back nine.

Jordan then missed a very makeable putt around hole 13/14. Missed it so bad, he needed to mark it and get a new read on the green. He walked up an addressed the ball without hesitation, and his caddy talked him off the ledge, telling him to step back, catch his breath, and start his process.

I don't know if it helps or hurts Spieth that he lets his emotions fly, but it's worth watching him torture himself if it means we get to see some of the shots he made yesterday.

He also said in interviews that this was Greller's best cadding job as he kept Spieth in the moment through all the difficulties.
_lefraud_
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

How many withdraws / DNF's does he have?

Not nearly as many as Tiger haters let on everyone to believe.
_lefraud_
AG
I remember my dad being fascinated with Tiger at the '97 Masters, but I was too young. I casually watched him dominate through 2002, but it wasn't until the '05 Masters that I was completely captivated by Tiger. His stretch from the '05 Masters to the '08 US Open was just incredible to experience for me personally. Ultimately, however, three things ended THAT tiger:

His father's death
His leg injury
YE ****ing Yang
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I was a Tiger fan before I was a golf fan.

It was always "how's Tiger doing?"
agsalaska
AG
How can his back issues not be included in that list.
_lefraud_
AG
agsalaska said:

How can his back issues not be included in that list.

I break down his career into three eras if you will:

97-2002 - ended with him changing his swing
05-2009 - ended with him losing to Yang
12-present - back injury

The first two "eras" were pretty similar in terms of the dominating Tiger we were use to watching. However, I think his father's death, leg injury and losing to Yang all lead to the demise of that invincible, captivating Tiger that was so dominate. Maybe it also triggered his personal life to unravel. After 2009, Tiger began a knew era that included his back issues, but still several wins, including 5 in 2013, but it just wasn't the same Tiger as before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.