Dallas country clubs

150,320 Views | 426 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TecRecAg
jcoll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moving to Dallas with my soon to be wife in September, what is a good course for us to join. I play a ton and shes just starting. We're both in out late 20's.
powerbelly
AG
Budget?
bigfoot10s
AG
Used to work at Gleneagles in Plano. Two great courses, lots of amenities at the club, workout center down the road a bit at the other club site. Tennis is top notch with great pros, most of which I worked with while I was there.
DadAG10
Location? What part of town?
jcoll
We're gonna be living close to downtown so we prefer something close to that
jcoll
As for budget, wanna keep the dues under 500/month if possible but it is what it is
powerbelly
AG
What about initiation fee?
Elmo Lincoln
AG
Best DFW Private Clubs

Here you go. Royal Oaks and Lakewood CC are great options that don't require elite connections to get invited...just plenty of $$.
Ponyupag
AG
Dallas Athletic Club. 2 Nicklaus design courses doesn't get much better.
AggieC07
AG
I had a couple of friends who joined Brook Haven (same age), I think they have a pretty good value membership. Although, I've played out there a few times and havent been too impressed with the course.
92TXAG
AG
quote:

Brook Hollow or Dallas Country Club

Oops; just saw your next post re dues...never mind the clubs above. Good luck finding what you're looking for near downtown at the dues you're wanting to pay.
powerbelly
AG
Better get on the wait-list now.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
quote:
quote:

Oops; just saw your next post re dues...never mind the clubs above. Good luck finding what you're looking for near downtown at the dues you're wanting to pay.
Dues aren't the issue. I highly doubt anyone that has an invitation to either of those clubs is spending time on Texags asking for country club advice.
92TXAG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dues aren't the issue. I highly doubt anyone that has an invitation to either of those clubs is spending time on Texags asking for country club advice.

If they're moving here, are Aggies, and are vetting the forum's opinions, then I don't doubt it...
OP asked a question, I answered.
Further, haven't ever seen "Elmo" on either of these clubs tee sheets. Self righteous attitudes like yours add no value to the forum.
jj9000
AG
quote:
quote:

This freaking guy.

Don't you know we're a bunch of change your shoes in the parking lot...bag in the car...trunk slamming...muni-playing...mo-fos around here?

jj9000
AG
quote:

The guy you're responding to likely has membership/access to both.

He's a good dude, BTW.

I've spoken to him at length about Dallas CCs.

He knows what he's talking about.
92TXAG
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This freaking guy.

Don't you know we're a bunch of change your shoes in the parking lot...bag in the car...trunk slamming...muni-playing...mo-fos around here?

crack'n me up JJ

I know better 'bout you...
Elmo Lincoln
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If they're moving here, are Aggies, and are vetting the forum's opinions, then I don't doubt it...
OP asked a question, I answered.
Further, haven't ever seen "Elmo" on either of these clubs tee sheets. Self righteous attitudes like yours add no value to the forum.

Unrustle your jimmies, my friend. I gave him the most informative link on this thread a few posts up. And while I don't have any knowledge of the dues at BH or DCC, I can tell you that junior dues at many elite DFW clubs are well under $500/month. So, as I said earlier, dues aren't the issue.

I also never claimed to be a member at any exclusive club. The intent of my comment was merely to acknowledge that the accomplished folks that are fortunate enough to be extended invitations to prestigious clubs like Brook Hollow, DCC, Preston Trail, Dallas National, etc. are likely well connected and well advised. I meant nothing more than that. But hey, Texags knows stuff, so please accept my apology.

birdman
I would pick something near your house. It doesn't have to be the closest golf course, but it shouldn't be a burden to get there. Dealing with Metroplex traffic before or after 18 holes is a hassle.

You'll get more out of it if it's easy to get there. It's nice to practice putting for 30 minutes or play a quick nine holes, instead of it being an all day affair.
turfaggie24
AG
Trinity Forrest-being built south of downtown, $$$
Maridoe-being built in Carrollton, big emphasis on fishing, $$
Bent Tree CC, Northwood, Royal Oaks, Lakewood CC and DAC are all great options

PM me if your interested in any
suprafly03
AG
I'd go Lakewood.

Quick drive up Gaston Ave.
hoya-ag
AG
Dallas Athletic Club is the most affordable, especially for a junior membership. With two courses and the other amenities I think it is the best overall deal as well.
jcoll
Definitely interested in DAC and lakewood, mainly wanna join one because we wont know anyone
752bro4
AG
If you're inside 635 towards East Dallas, I'd suggest DAC.

Depending on where you are (farther North or NW), ClubCorp YEX may be an option, as Prestonwood CC, Canyon Creek, Hackberry, and Brookhaven all fall under that umbrella.

YEX Member Info
mavsfan4ever
AG
If you do the YEX membership, do you have a home course? Can you play any of the courses? Are the rates the same at all the courses or do rates vary by what course is your home course?

I live in M Streets and am thinking about joining a club later this year or early next year, mainly bc I want to get a regular game going, join some card games, etc. I don't play much anymore in large part bc I don't have anyone to really play with.

It looks like the YEX clubs and DAC are about the same distance from M streets. I work at the Galleria towers, so I guess the YEX clubs would be a little closer if I was playing after work but I doubt that will happen much. The description of the DAC atmosphere in the post above sounds like what I would want (I'm 30 if that matters).

One other question: if I end up moving away from M streets (wont happen for at least 7-8 years, if at all, but who knows where we will eventually end up), would the YEX membership be better. In other words, if we move to a new house, will it be easy to transfer that membership to any club Corp course near my new house? Whereas if we move somewhere that's not convenient to DAC I would have to start all over with initiation/dues at a new club?
Ponyupag
AG
I Grew up on DAC and my uncle is a member at Lakewood. DAC clubhouse is not as nice and does not have some of the amenities that LCC has but the golf is much better. LCC may be in better shape but DAC has just as good of greens and much better course layout. LCC gets repetitive and all of the holes are very close together. DAC is a great deal and having both courses is a huge benefit because you can play basically every day even if there is a tournament going on. Atmosphere is much chiller at DAC and not as stuffy as LCC. Can't go wrong with either but you're getting a much better deal for your money going with DAC. DAC has some of the lower handicap players around and there is a ton of good games to get in out there.
Elmo Lincoln
AG
quote:
Definitely interested in DAC and lakewood, mainly wanna join one because we wont know anyone

Great choices. I didn't grow up in the country club environment, but joined one in my 20's. The friendships and connections that resulted from that are amazing. It's been a fantastic decision and well worth the money, IMO.
CoppellAg93
AG
Does anyone have an opinion about Hackberry Creek on the course and the facilities ? After reading this thread, it has me interested in looking into getting a membership there. I work right down the street from the course and live only about 7 miles away, so it would be the most convenient club for me to join.

My golf game has struggled the last few years - only played 2 rounds all of last year. One of the biggest reasons for this is that I have lost contact with pretty much all of my old playing partners - some have retired and just play weekdays; others I just don't talk to much anymore. I reach out here and there to see if they need a 4th but don't seem to get hooked up with them. My father belongs to a club and plays a couple times a week with a handful of guys; sometimes he just shows up and joins a 4-some. That's the kind of thing I would like to have somewhere.

The Club Corp thing is definitely interesting because of the ability to play different courses. I've always thought that playing the same course all the time would get boring. Not sure if that's the case though - would love to hear other's perspective on that aspect as well.

TIA.
ChoppinDs40
AG
DAC unless you've got 70k+ for initiation at Royal oaks or LCC.

Dallas country club's course blows. Like 6300 from the tips. North wood is about to be closed for course renos. Dallas national is over $100k I believed and the new trinity forest is going to be extremely expensive to join. For that budget, your best bet is DAC or a YEX clubcorp.
powerbelly
AG
I love the DCC after they redid the course
wsm8753
Steel,

I'm looking at joining in Dallas as well. Let me know how to contact you and maybe we can go in together.
LeFraud
quote:
Steel,

I'm looking at joining in Dallas as well. Let me know how to contact you and maybe we can go in together.

Holy first post, Batman!
Stymied
AG
Just my 2 cents on the rest of the thread. Honestly, DAC and YEX are a completely different deal than any of the other clubs mentioned.

Royal Oaks, LCC, etc - They are all 70K initiation with higher dues than DAC or YEX. They also have the regular policy to assess which is often a dirty secret to those who don't know the private club model. They have all undergone (and continue to undergo) capital intensive renovations and the members undergo regular monthly assessments (i.e. ~$200 - $300 capital charge per month on top of dues).

Royal Oaks just redid their greens and bunkers. They went from bent to bermuda. Over the long haul, it's probably the right decision but no more than 3 months after the course reopened they fired their super. The greens were hard as a rock (pretty typical for new bermuda) and they got pissed. Royal Oaks is also in the middle of a flood plane and is often underwater.

LCC is in a great location and has about 12 really good holes. The other six are OK as they were crammed into the limited space that the property allows. If you live near Lakewood and don't mind the price tag, it's tough to beat.

DCC is the Highland Park country club. It's more a place to be seen than play golf. For example, within the past 5 years they spent over $50M building a new clubhouse. It's an amazing facility and well maintained but the layout is nothing special. Better bring your checkbook and family history to get on the waiting list too.

Brook Hollow is a great golf club but probably as exclusive if not more exclusive than DCC. You better know someone to get in here. Also, if cost even factors into the equation, this isn't the club for you.

Dallas National is similar but a bit different crowd than DCC / Brook Hollow. More new money than old. Very focused on golf as there is nothing else there.

As for DAC. I've been a member at DAC for 6 years so take my comments with a grain of salt. From my view, DAC is the best golf deal in town. It is not in the prime real estate area like LCC, Royal Oaks, and the others and it requires a bit of a commute regardless of where you live. From a golf perspective though, there are 2 Jack Nicklaus courses that are at worst on par (I would argue much better) than Royal Oaks or LCC. They have also put a bunch of money into facilities lately. While the clubhouse, 19th hole, etc used to be below average in the mid 2000s, it is now up to standard. Beyond the relatively cheep initiation (about $20K, junior is less), the other benefit to DAC is that the bylaws do not allow assessments. That's a big plus.

OP - Happy to have you out to DAC if you haven't connected with the club already. I honestly think it's the best golf value in town if the location fits.
Poot
The 36 holes at DAC are a really nice set of holes.

Lakewood is as described as well.
Ponyupag
AG
Aero Ag love having another DAC member on Texags. Let's get together and play sometime played out there everyday I could for the past 10 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.