What, exactly, is off limits for baby brother to mimic?

13,524 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Spider69
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Other schools have traditions related to class rings and the Texas Exes decided it was time for the same to happen at UT." I know of one.

"Texas Exes say the proper way to wear the ring as a student is with the Tower engraving facing in, a symbol that it is close to your heart. After graduation, the ring should be worn with the engraved Texas Exes symbol facing in. " Sounds familiar

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-tradition-for-ut-class-rings-takes-on-an-orange-glow/1953528016
vansprinkle
AG
Appropriate they'd celebrate a BA.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
In 40 years on this earth I have seen one Texas ring. My dad's. I've never seen anyone else from that school wear one. Besides ours, the only rings I've ever seen (rarely) were tech and LSU.
goodAg80
AG
vansprinkle said:

This guy has one.

Bottlehead90
AG
can non-graduates buy one?

Asking for a friend
APHIS AG
vansprinkle said:

There are at least 10 to 20 "variations" of the t.u. class ring. One just has to go to any jewelry store and order one.
AtlAg05
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Asking for a friend

Nice of you to ask for your friend. Truly.
Grits
AG
It looks like a highschool class ring...
Flashdiaz
AG
Can one pick one up at Walmart along with gear?
Caesar4
AG
Potcake said:

"Other schools have traditions related to class rings and the Texas Exes decided it was time for the same to happen at UT." I know of one.

"Texas Exes say the proper way to wear the ring as a student is with the Tower engraving facing in, a symbol that it is close to your heart. After graduation, the ring should be worn with the engraved Texas Exes symbol facing in. " Sounds familiar

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-tradition-for-ut-class-rings-takes-on-an-orange-glow/1953528016
Another manufactured tradition that is "for", and not "by", the students. Never change, sips. That way, you're always recognizable as DBU.
elfurioso92
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Asking for a friend
Why not, pairs nicely with the fake letter jacket Ketch is peddling.
tamc91
AG
Just saw a news story on this where they interviewed someone with Texas Exes. She actually said "We're the keepers of the traditions".

I think they've been studying up on A&M's websites to trying to figure out which catch phrases they can paraphrase or straight up copy. Sad thing is they think they can manufacture tradition. So shallow...
Muy
AG
Lol
SchizoAg
AG
Funny it doesn't mention in that article that when they created the first "official" t.u. class ring in 1996, it was acknowledged as copying A&M as a way to increase alumni engagement, because A&M's alumni were much more likely to donate money than sip alumni.
ABATTBQ87
AG
SchizoAg said:

Funny it doesn't mention in that article that when they created the first "official" t.u. class ring in 1996, it was acknowledged as copying A&M as a way to increase alumni engagement, because A&M's alumni were much more likely to donate money than sip alumni.
A Symbol of History & Tradition

The University of Texas ring was designed in 1996 by a committee of UT students. The UT Ring, rich in symbolism, is a lifelong emblem of burnt-orange pride. It symbolizes academic achievement at the university and is reserved exclusively for graduates and students who have completed at least 75 credit hours.

goodAg80
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Asking for a friend
Is this your friend?

Wabs
AG
goodAg80 said:

Bottlehead90 said:

Asking for a friend
Is this your friend?

That's a picture of 10 your friends bundled into 1 big fat ass.
Aggie87
AG
When our ring says "Texas A&M University", it's understood what we're referring to. No location required.

Their ring actually has to tell you which branch campus it's referring to.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Snicklepox said:

It looks like a highschool class ring...
So, what's your point?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Bottlehead90
AG
Seriously that is a tacky ring. And they credit/blame their student body for that?

It looks like it has all historical and cultural significance of a low rent strip mall with a tattoo and vape shop. A college ring for a community college.

Actually it's perfect!
SchizoAg
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

SchizoAg said:

A Symbol of History & Tradition

The University of Texas ring was designed in 1996 by a committee of UT students. The UT Ring, rich in symbolism, is a lifelong emblem of burnt-orange pride. It symbolizes academic achievement at the university and is reserved exclusively for graduates and students who have completed at least 75 credit hours.
I wish the Daily Texan archives were available online. I'd find the article that described the copycat nature of the t.u. ring.
Ed Torian
Quote:

students who have completed at least 75 credit hours
75 more to go, Buscemi.
YouBet
AG
Aggie87 said:

When our ring says "Texas A&M University", it's understood what we're referring to. No location required.

Their ring actually has to tell you which branch campus it's referring to.
They do that because Austin has become more important than the school to them.
ABATTBQ11
AG
A_Gang_Ag_06 said:

In 40 years on this earth I have seen one Texas ring. My dad's. I've never seen anyone else from that school wear one. Besides ours, the only rings I've ever seen (rarely) were tech and LSU.

Tceh hands them out like candy. I had a buddy who did a single online course through tech as a senior, and he had to send in his transcripts and "apply." After he finished his one course, they sent him a letter telling him he had enough hours for a ring based on his transcripts and wanted to know if he intended to buy one.
Billy Foster
AG
I've seen more recently. My BIL got one a couple years ago. He LOVES having to explain that it's not an Aggie ring, at which point the conversation dies.
Oryx
that fake antique looks like ****
Potcake
AG
Texas State has rings that look even more like Aggie rings.
dixichkn
AG
Lots of people in San Marcos bummed out about the 75-hour requirement
Oryx
****ing sips
Born Maroon
AG
Saw mid 40 ish guy at a party yesterday with a shiny new Texas State ring. It did resemble an aggie ring from afar
Muy
AG
Didn't Tceh make rings in the 90's that tried to copy the Aggie ring?
buda91
AG
"Texas Exes say the proper way to wear the ring as a student is with the Tower engraving facing in, a symbol that it is close to your heart. After graduation, the ring should be worn with the engraved Texas Exes symbol facing in. "

Based on the photos, the tower and texex symbols are on the SIDES. The instruction doesn't make sense.
Federale01
AG
Quote:

The new tradition will begin on Thursday, April 25. Fifteen-hundred class rings were placed inside the UT Tower and UT's President Greg Fenves read a proclamation over the rings. That night, the Tower will be lit in honor of the students so that the rings can bask in the orange glow overnight.

Can we mention how stupid this is? Is this some sort of perverted blessing ceremony? Sips, you're trying way too hard.

Also, KXAN, get an editor.
goodAg80
AG
They put an ad for their alumni organization Texas Exes on their school ring?

Embarrassing
PosterFormallyKnownAsRojo
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Seriously that is a tacky ring. And they credit/blame their student body for that?

It looks like it has all historical and cultural significance of a low rent strip mall with a tattoo and vape shop. A college ring for a community college.

Actually it's perfect!

Little brother will next change their school color to Maroon.

But, there is only one ring in Texas that is known on sight. And that ring hails from Aggieland.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.