Sips on Orangebloods are convinced they are joining the SEC with OU

60,032 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LOYAL AG
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Army is closerHow glorious will it be if in 50 years Texas is looked at like Minnesota.

I better start eating right and exercising so I can live to see the day

I could see that happening more so with ou. The Aggies should be hitting Oklahoma hard for the cream recruits there. Do you want to play SEC football? Are you SEC good? Texas A&M is just down the road from mom and dad.
Arky may be closer depending on where in OK they are.
I think his point is that 70% of the OU players comer from Texas.....very few OU players from eastern OK.
aggiehawg
AG
WOW! He's baack!!

quote:
That was in 2007. Gee was the president of Ohio State. Some at the time said he was the only person standing in the way of a playoff.Fast-forward eight years. The College Football Playoff is in place. Gee is alive and well. Not only that, he remains a key figure in college football's landscape.You might have read Oklahoma University President David Boren's comment that the Big 12 "should strive for" expansion beyond the current 10-team setup. Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder recently added his support for expansion.Well, Gee is on the Big 12's expansion committee. And get this: There are only three members.

When reached via Big 12 Associate Commissioner Bob Burda, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said those on the "Composition Committee" are Gee, Boren and Baylor University President Ken Starr. That's it.

"I'm on the committee and I think we need to explore it," Gee said this week. "I always laughed about the Big Ten because we had 12 teams and I always laugh about the Big 12 because we have 10 teams. For some reason, our arithmetic is not right."That said, though, we in the Big 12, in terms of football and basketball, are competitive from top to bottom. In the Big Ten, there have always been tiers. That's not so in the Big 12. Any team can win. There aren't weaknesses. So if we were to add someone, the school would have to add to our value, add to our culture and be competitive in this very competitive environment."

Note there are no cold-dead-hand-wrenching statements in the stance. He's open to the possibility of expansion."I'm not opposed to it, but I'd want to look at it very, very carefully so we don't have unintended consequences," Gee said. "I, for one, like that we all play each other."

Possible candidates for expansion include BYU, Boise State, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Houston and Memphis. I asked Gee, though, if there are any serious contenders currently before the committee."If there were," he replied, "I wouldn't tell you."As you might surmise, the No. 1 reason to expand would be to hold a conference football title game and be on equal footing with other leagues in regard to the CFP.
LINK

Starr and Gee. What could possibly go wrong??
aggiehawg
AG
More:

quote:
Gee is not in favor of a Big 12 title game as the league stands."With 10 teams, it would be unwieldy," he said. "I don't think we could. Well, we could, but I don't think it's wise. It would be kind of a shotgun marriage."

Which brings us back to the president's CFP stance. Summarizing that stance in two words: It's softened."I think [the four-team CFP] was a good compromise," Gee said. "Back then they were talking about eight teams and extending it way into the second semester. Academically, it didn't make any sense.

"This one worked out all right. I'm a great believer in the bowl system. I think the bowl system provides opportunities for students and others to generate enthusiasm and for the university as well. [The CFP] seems not to have had an impact on the bowl system. So it's a compromise that works."

Mississippi coach Hugh Freeze recently suggested college teams go back to an 11-game regular season, ditch league championships, and have eight playoff teams."I wasn't in favor of the 12th game," Gee said. "But I wouldn't be in favor of cutting back. ... We just don't want to go down a slippery slope [of adding four teams to the CFP]. We've fought hard to keep all within the realm of academics, and that's where we want to keep it."
45-70Ag
AG
Isn't gee the crazy bow tie wearing guy run off from Ohio state?

And worried about academics...........at wvu......lol
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Isn't gee the crazy bow tie wearing guy run off from Ohio state?

And worried about academics...........at wvu......lol
One and the same.
GrapevineAg
AG
Div 1-AA and Div 2 have 24 team playoffs, and Div 3 has 32 team playoffs. Doesn't anybody care about academics at those schools!? How can they let those kids play 15 game seasons!?

aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Div 1-AA and Div 2 have 24 team playoffs, and Div 3 has 32 team playoffs. Doesn't anybody care about academics at those schools!? How can they let those kids play 15 game seasons!?

Apparently not.
aggiehawg
AG
From the shag:

quote:
ESPN's Brett McMurphy: "The good news for Memphis is the Big 12 is gonna have to look to the American Athletic Conference for two teams."

McMurphy: "The Big 12 is not expanding west."

RESPONSE:

If they add any of those and UT stays in this $#@! hole then $#@! every one. It also looks like a lot of OU fans want the SEC. If they go and UT doesn't follow then the university is led by idiots.
No, just means tu wasn't invited with their toxic LHN and attitude.
88jrt06
AG
Gee will make himself the center of attention. He just can't stand it, otherwise.
He will also spout off something that embarrasses the hell out of the BDF.
Bank it. Loose cannon/dementia. IOW, perfect fit! Bravo.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Gee will make himself the center of attention. He just can't stand it, otherwise.
He will also spout off something that embarrasses the hell out of the BDF.
Bank it. Loose cannon/dementia. IOW, perfect fit! Bravo.
Unpossible. The BDF embarrasses itself already, but they seem to like it.

What was interesting to me was Starr's participation. When Briles said he was in favor of expansion and a CCG, I wondered if Baylor was breaking away from their Austin overlords. Or is Starr there to put the kibosh on expansion in their behalf??

Patterson just doesn't have the clout Dodds did. If Hocutt does a 180 and is in favor of expansion, the sips have lost control of the conference. Which was the main reason they stayed in the Big XII in the first place. To be "the big dog."

Oh my!
Sea Gull
AG
I find this talk hilarious...please keep the quotes coming. They've gone from A&M will never make it into the SEC, to A&M can't compete in the SEC, to the SEC is highly overrated, to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INVITE US IN, to "well ****, we'll just invite Memphis and be done with it."

I can't stop laughing at the whole ordeal.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:

The thing about our "$#@!ty" ten team conference is that all but ISU have had very high level success in football at some point in the last decade, and with ISU, they are at least competitive most years and their fans show up. Only KU is looking like a long term football dog despite their Orange Bowl run a few years ago, but they can get away with it because of their basketball blueblood status. Adding two mid-majors will dilute that competitiveness. SEC can boast all they want, but they have a lot of crappy football every year in their conference. The Big XII doesn't have much disparity in talent from top to bottom. What the Big XII needs is someone to break through and win an MNC, even if its not OU or Texas. The SEC will always get preference regardless of how unfair it is, but they still have to take the field and one of us needs to win it all to shut them up, even if just temporarily.

They can't be serious right now.
aggiehawg
AG
As requested. From landthieves:

quote:
I understand Texas not wanting to be seen as following A&M but if they have the chance at the SEC it should be a no brainer. OU and Texas would just push A&M further down the totem pole in the SEC. Who went first would be forgotten about quickly.

• The Big 12 vs the SEC is like the Arena league vs the NFL. If OU heads to the SEC, Texas would be committing suicide to sit idly by. I think a lot of their folks want A&M (not to mention Arkansas) back on their schedule too.

Sea Gull
AG
I can't recall an SEC dropping 80 points on a conference foe in football EVER. But right, there isn't much disparity between TCU and Tech.
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
WVU university president Gee: "That said, though, we in the Big 12, in terms of football and basketball, are competitive from top to bottom. In the Big Ten, there have always been tiers. That's not so in the Big 12. Any team can win. There aren't weaknesses."
Gee really said that.
    Always knew Gee was an idiot, and a laughingstock, and a walking, talking full-on embarrassment to higher ed, but...my gawd and holy moly. He is a perfect fit for the bdf.
    APHIS AG
    quote:
    Texas has been unusually low key on this issue, and why not? If the Big 12 ceases to exist Texas becomes the hottest woman on the dance floor and every power conference will be looking to get a dance.

Texas would have the option to go independent using the Notre Dame/BYU blueprint as a guide (the Longhorn Network gives Texas more leverage with this option). Texas could choose a conference affiliation while maintaining independent status in football, like Notre Dame and the ACC. It's also possible Texas could choose to do nothing at all.

The Longhorns could simply choose to slow dance in a burning room with the knowledge that when the Big 12 does implode that they'll be ok, which is true and unfortunate for the rest of the conference.
    Currently Texas has no incentive to go all in on conference expansion. The truth is it may be more advantageous to Texas to twiddle its thumbs while Rome burns and rise like a phoenix from the ashes when all is said and done.

I for one will dance with glee and laugh when these scumbags bubble bursts' and they find out that they are really not that important in the college ranks. Their delusion is getting tiresome and old and they ignore the truth. Their TV ratings are down, they are having trouble selling tickets, chuckles is having problems recruiting. These are signs that people do not care to see t.u. but yet, they act like they are still the queen of the ball.

Watching the current fall is like watching a train wreck in slow motion and I am enjoying every groan, every twist of the track, every crash of the cars and finally, the explosion of the engine.
    aggiehawg
    AG
    More from mobilhoma:

quote:
    This could in some part be true, I can't remember when UT has ever agreed to something that wasn't their idea. OU wants to go the PAC, UT sticks their feet in the ground 2 different times. UT counters with their idea of the LHN and the dumpster fire Big XII ( they got their way).

• It's high time for OU to give UT one week to decide, go with us to the SEC, BIG, or PAC or we are leaving you for good...oh and by the way we are playing A&M in the Cotton Bowl, good luck finding a new rivals....UT do you like Taco Tech as your new "rival?"

ccatag
    AG
    quote:
    quote:

The thing about our "$#@!ty" ten team conference is that all but ISU have had very high level success in football at some point in the last decade, and with ISU, they are at least competitive most years and their fans show up. Only KU is looking like a long term football dog despite their Orange Bowl run a few years ago, but they can get away with it because of their basketball blueblood status. Adding two mid-majors will dilute that competitiveness. SEC can boast all they want, but they have a lot of crappy football every year in their conference. The Big XII doesn't have much disparity in talent from top to bottom. What the Big XII needs is someone to break through and win an MNC, even if its not OU or Texas. The SEC will always get preference regardless of how unfair it is, but they still have to take the field and one of us needs to win it all to shut them up, even if just temporarily.

They can't be serious right now.

There it is ... it's back. The bdf is a Power Bottom league.
    aggiehawg
    AG
    Landthieves again:

quote:
    The SEC, using Lofton aka Longhorn Killer, has built a bridge to OU through Mizzou.

Boren, who seems to no longer have any patience with Texas, has Lofton in his ear with all kinds of info on how to deal with Texas.

Lofton's persuasion also comes with painting the SEC as the place Boren actually wants to be. Mizzou knows the SEC was a far better choice for them as opposed to B1G recognition. This light has been established and is the now all the rage in Norman. Once Boren started thinking SEC and all of it's immediate $$$ advantages, he now can't unthink the SEC.

The SEC has been wanting OU for some time now. Lofton has those big SEC hats completely clued in on who Texas is. The SEC knows the Texas situation and the weak spots it needs to know about. This is why the SEC sent Lofton in when they did. Boren likes Mizzou and always listens to them when they have something to say. The SEC has given Mizzou plenty to say.

The SEC is quietly pouncing on their last chance to grab Oklahoma with the intention of also trying for the grand slam of getting UT, too. If not, Oklahoma is a very satisfying enough get for the SEC to call it good. That alone makes Texas feel weak in a way it hasn't felt yet. If they thought Lofton had fun ending UT/aTm, and also realizing that he has a hand in possibly ending RRR, too, there is no way Texas doesn't feel some sort of panic. I think Texas is going to have a come to Jesus meeting with the SEC.

• I think OU is sold on being SEC bound. I also think Missouri is the s*** for helping the SEC & OU come together. If this is true, Lofton gets a holiday on my calendar.

aggiehawg
    AG
    A fingerprint of who is behind this. Again, landthieves citing a sip site:

quote:
    Rumor is right. Where exactly is the thread detailing these said rumors? I see nothing. http://texas.forums.rivals.com/forum...e-40-acres.22/

• Page 3 of Inside the 40 acres...thread titled "OU has plans to leave for SEC." Cujo0622 drops the info throughout the thread. Like I said, could be BS, but Cujo is a longtime poster.

Hhhmm, wonder who that could be????
    Sea Gull
    AG
    So Loftin is their savior now? Wasn't he public enemy number one 3 years ago?
    Madman
    AG
    So much fan fiction being written by fans of teams that have little else positive to think about.
    Bonfire1996
    AG
    Forgive me speaking in third person for a moment....

Has Bonfire 1996 changed his "tits on a bull" opinion of OU? Has Bonfire 1996 backed off the singular claim that OU is a horrible conference member in the media age, they win your championships in football and they cost every conference member money. They are women's swimming and diving in a title IX world, as in, there isn't a more unprofitable program possible for a conference. OU brings nothing to the table. The WSJ has done extensive ratings analysis to determine profitability and worth for an exploding sports media revenue world. Their conclusion? National ratings are a myth when it comes to school loyalty once you remove Notre Dame and USC. That is why reputable publications started to measure number of actual fans per program, as they are the only ones to be truly counted upon for revenue generation over the long term.

OU isn't going anywhere alone unless a conference has a major financial brain fart on a historically incompetent level. Will they get to tag along with someone? Maybe, but only to a conference who hasn't started a tier 3 network, and then it will only be with a school that is already an actual financial behemoth. How many schools exist like that who dont already have a long term home? A leper could use his fingers to count those schools.

Look, the SEC was so successful in getting its "out of network" fee so stupid high that it makes the multiple required to make expansion feasible a nearly insurmountable hurdle. And that hurdle gets higher with every year of revenue growth. The B1G's hurdle of $0.05 per out of network subscriber was the model. The SEC beat that by a factor of EIGHT. What's more the B1G Network is tier 2! I'm not so sure expansion to NC and/or Virginia even makes sense now, and they have, I think, 3.3 million more cable households residing in their states than Oklahoma. Whatever the number is, it is stupid to compare to freaking Native America.

I see the Big 12 adding two people when their one loss champion is on the bubble again. Even if they get in, which will be a dogfight, they will expand, stupidly because they have no options. They will be forced to act for the sake of taking any action. Hello Cougar high. Hello cincy. And then they will wonder why their revenue problem gets worse.

You think Boren threw a fit this year, wait till his job is threatened by dumbass rich guys who think the SEC would do anything to add OU. That will be delicious. Like Drew Rosenhaus trying to shop an aged Terrel Owens....throwing bombs left and right when he gets told his client is done.
    West Point Aggie
    AG
    That thread in Landthieves is thorough, tasty and satisfying entertainment!!
    Hood
    AG
    So we're not factoring TV sets and added revenue any more?

Not to mention the issues with 16-team leagues and any corresponding TV rights agreements?

It would seem any discussion bringing non-P5 teams into the Big12 would have some merit. Busting up the Big12 to grow the other P-5 conferences seems silly to discuss.
    West Point Aggie
    AG
    From LT...**** just got real-er (in their minds anyways!)

Is this Chip Brown??

"Sooooooo.....just received a bit of news... Apparently OU is NOT in favor of expanding now and are actively seeking ways to leave the big 12 at this point. The word is OU is about to take their seat at the wheel of this conference. I would expect some big news or a leak of information this next week."

Hehe...updated quickly (like in minutes) to say:

"Sooooooo.....just received a bit of news... Apparently OU is NO LONGER in favor of expanding now and are actively seeking ways to leave the big 12 by 2018. The word is OU is about to take their seat at the wheel of this conference. I would expect some big news or a leak of information this next week."

Does this mean the nutless ones are asleep at the wheel? Is Baylor's law suit template ready in Whacko??

Seriously it stinks of Chip Brown...meaning wrong and all over the place!

DayAg!
    S
    quote:
    he SEC has been wanting OU for some time now. Lofton has those big SEC hats completely clued in on who Texas is. The SEC knows the Texas situation and the weak spots it needs to know about. This is why the SEC sent Lofton in when they did. Boren likes Mizzou and always listens to them when they have something to say. The SEC has given Mizzou plenty to say.
    Where do they even come up with this stuff. I mean really. A&M is going to go independent, get a large contract with ESPN and have more money than everyone in the country. See how easy that was to make stuff up.

I just dont get it. They arent coveted like they think they are but still post stuff like this for everyone to laugh at. And it is laughable to say the least. What a bunch of deluded idiots. They think they can just snap their fingers and go anywhere they want.

Am I missing something here. Didnt they get rejected by several of the major conferences when everyone was doing the Chinese fire drill. I still dont think that OU was offered with A&M at the beginning either. Never once heard Slive say anthing along those lines. Nor did anyone other than internet posters allude to such. They are in a dead state with a soon to be dead program. To see people grasp at straws in their last death throws is pathetic. They are just trying to drive a narrative that will never take place.
    EKUAg
    AG
    The only thing I ever saw on OU and the SEC was back in 2010 when we were interested but didn't go. Slive reportedly came to A&M. The word from someone on this board (under football forum) was that he stopped in Norman afterward before he went back to the SEC HQ.
    aggiehawg
    AG
    quote:
    I still dont think that OU was offered with A&M at the beginning either. Never once heard Slive say anthing along those lines. Nor did anyone other than internet posters allude to such. T
    Slive did pay them a visit the same day he flew into CS to meet with Loftin. If he never discussed it after that it is safe to assume OU wasn't interested. They believed they and the pokes were heading west for the 2nd Okie invasion.
    Tom Doniphon
    They're no wallflowers.... not at all.
    EKUAg
    AG
    Must be having regret that they tied themselves to the wrong school in Texas....
    aggiehawg
    AG
    Few remember this, but when all of the realignment crap was going on in May and early June of 2010, the chairman of the Big XII was...(drum roll, please)...Bill Powers.
    EKUAg
    AG
    Ah yes, memories...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5319856
    aggiehawg
    AG
    From EKU's link:

quote:
    "There was a time when A&M thought they were going to the SEC and they very much wanted us to go with them," Boren said. "Oklahoma, in the whole thing, we were positioned in a way where virtually we could not have lost."
    Really? That's rich.
    GAC06
    AG
    quote:
    From EKU's link:

quote:
    "There was a time when A&M thought they were going to the SEC and they very much wanted us to go with them," Boren said. "Oklahoma, in the whole thing, we were positioned in a way where virtually we could not have lost."
    Really? That's rich.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.