I'm not a Redskins fan in any way, but this is absurd

11,777 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wisconsin_Ag
Unknown_handle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are we talking about the natives that slaughtered each other as well as Europeans and took whatever they thought was best for themselves?

History = Conquerors and the conquered! It is fair? No....just get over it! If you check your own DNA you will find that you have both master and slave blood in your family line going back to the Romans, Greeks, Persians or something. So go pay them back Mr. Apologist!
Unknown_handle
AG
quote:
It was meant to differentiate them from the Boston Braves baseball team. Their owner at the time said so. He didn't mention that it was meant to honor anyone.

Check your facts.

Your facts have nothing to do with the purpose of ANYONE selecting a name for a mascot. Take you smugness to Austin!
DallasAggie97
AG
quote:

Your facts have nothing to do with the purpose of ANYONE selecting a name for a mascot. Take you smugness to Austin!

But they do.

http://t.co/sbP04ZEYMr
The D
AG
holy ****, you just linked Keith Olbermann
FTAggies
Interestingly ****ot and gay used to mean something completely different from their modern connotative meaning, so the modern understanding of a term like redskin could be completely misconstruing the use of that term as having a derogatory meaning.

Should keebler stop selling club crackers? b/c cracker is an "offensive" term. Suppose I buy a team and change their name to the ****ots and the mascot is a bundle of sticks...

[This message has been edited by FTAggies (edited 6/18/2014 11:12p).]
stingaree
The problem is the generalized word "redskin." We all know that the Seminole Nation supports FSU and will sue if anyone tries to change the mascot.

So, at some point, the Redskins name will change. I'm okay with that because of the generalized nature of the term. Not fighting, just okay.

We, as a pc society forget that being Native American alone does not automatically mean good, green, heroic and beatific, despite all that we see and hear over the airwaves . Yes, they were screwed over, yes they were dealt a raw hand, yes they deserved better.

But not as a whole. Just as with all people of a specific color, you can't judge a book by its cover (color). Is OJ Simpson a saint because of the color of his skin?

While many Native American tribes were peace loving, farming, family oriented, there were others than were nomadic (some also peace loving) that were biker gangs that simply stole from other tribes and raped and pillaged small outposts, both Indian and white.

Apache, Comanche, Sioux. The crime scenes they left behind (most often against their "own" people) would make Jeffrey Dahmer blush.

I suggest that Washington change their official name to "Pigskins" and remain known as the "Skins." The Hawgs in the end zone would approve.
depogs
AG
Just another made up issue to satisfy liberal's addiction to victim hood.
Muy
AG
Nothing gets liberal whites who loathe their own race more fired up than non-racist terms that don't really upset the very race that they claim to care about.
EVA3
AG
quote:
You going to tell them how to feel?...

Please tell us how people should feel about things. They obviously can decide on their own. We will let you tell us.

Seriously? That's kind of the point.
Sean Jeffrey Babineaux IV
AG
quote:
But they do.

http://t.co/sbP04ZEYMr
This answers everything.

[This message has been edited by Sean Jeffrey Babineaux IV (edited 6/19/2014 6:51a).]
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
How long until we hear from PETA that the tiger population is offended by the use of them as a mascot? 2 years? 3?
Dr. Abbott, DDS
quote:
[Banned---Texags Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/19/2014 12:24a).]

Wtf went down in here?
K.
Classy
Squadron7
AG
How about "The Washington Julias"?
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
My response to the top of the first page before I had to stop and comment: I've found the name Redskins offensive since college. It's a freaking racial slur.

That is all, carry on.
lereag02
DallasAggie97, did you find the term Redskins offensive the very first time you heard it, or did you have to wait until someone told you to be offended?

Seriosuly, you butt hurt morons who find this "offensive", where was this outrage 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago? And your "proof" that its offenisve is laughable. An artile from the 1800's and Keith effing Olberman? Really?

It wasnt until a bunch of white guilt ridden, do nothings decided to make a stink out of it. Now we have a 4 page thread of bleeding vag posts.
annie88
AG
annie88
AG
quote:
here was a large group calling for the name to change due to offensive racial reasons and the owner wasn't going to budge. No problem with the butting in.

there's a large group that aren't offended as well, don't they count?
Paul Biegler, Esq.
AG
quote:
My response to the top of the first page before I had to stop and comment: I've found the name Redskins offensive since college. It's a freaking racial slur.

That is all, carry on.

Had you never heard of them before college?

90% of native americans aren't offended by it, but you are?
K.
"I gotta tell you, I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad. But turns out they're nothing compared to these f*gs you got in San Francisco"

[This message has been edited by K. (edited 6/19/2014 10:12a).]
Dr. Abbott, DDS
Bill had some f-ggot, liberal prof that taught him to be offended.
Local Provider
tl;dr, but why is this name SUDDENLY offensive, when it wasn't been offensive to anyone for 80 years?
Harry Stone
AG
This is what I love about liberals. They are claiming racism with the name. They are doing the liberal due diligence to speak out against it and show everyone they are sympathetic. And once the name changes they will go on their merry way thinking they accomplished something. Meanwhile the problems the Native Americans have had and will continue to have persist, and the liberals won't care because the name change was all the victory they needed. congrats on not accomplishing a damn thing for Native Americans. you should be proud.
Sandman98
AG
There isn't enough political capital gained by fixing the core problem. There is no rich white man to target and polarize for political gain if you simply focus on the dread that faces real Native Americans.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:

1. The term "Redskin" originated with a New England tribe who would wear red paint on their faces. See Chip's etymology link on page 3. It's as much a racial slur as "Cleveland Indians", "Atlanta Braves" or "Notre Dame Fighting Irish".

2. You're a horrible poster who often goes on longwinded nonsensical rants, which most people just skip past. No one cares about your opinion. Most poster actively ignore you.

Carry on.

[This message has been edited by Bobcat06 (edited 6/19/2014 12:30p).]
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
This is what I love about liberals. They are claiming racism with the name. They are doing the liberal due diligence to speak out against it and show everyone they are sympathetic. And once the name changes they will go on their merry way thinking they accomplished something. Meanwhile the problems the Native Americans have had and will continue to have persist, and the liberals won't care because the name change was all the victory they needed. congrats on not accomplishing a damn thing for Native Americans. you should be proud.

Correct, but you're missing the point.

The Obama administration, using one of it's many bureaucratic tenacles, has undermined an American institution which many people care about deeply (in this case football, but in other cases marriage, gun rights, immigration, etc).

By doing so, they are creating a nation wide debate. Since we are distracted, we stop paying attention to their scandals and power grabs, and they get to do whatever they want.

It's never about solving a problem. It's about distracting us from the actual agenda.
Pet Sounds
AG
quote:
quote:
[Banned---Texags Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/19/2014 12:24a).]

Wtf went down in here?

Probably a spurs hater or a mad white boy that needed to feel some power on a message board.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG

Saw this on FB this morning. Boom.

[This message has been edited by Great Beard of Zeus (edited 6/30/2014 8:09a).]
Kemo Sabe
Amazing the number of people that wake up one morning with a cob in their ace over this name thing.
Jackass2004
AG
Crappy PhotoShop job
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Trademark-board-rules-against-Redskins-name-5561236.php

when are people going to wake up to the fact that government overreach is going to topple this country?

When it topples this country, unfortunately.
achooooo
These PC Nazis are amazing. They have decreed that the name Redskin is offensive so if you disagree then you must be a racist. It doesn't matter that most Redskins, oops, Native Americans are not offended by the name and that 99% of the people using the word do not mean it in an offensive or derogatory way; that doesn't matter; the PC people have spoken; no further argument or debate; no point in discussing further; you are not as smart and all knowing as a PC person; if you disagree then, whether you realize it or not, you are a racist. You just don't know it; but they know your heart; they're special. Sig Heil! The PC Fuhrers have spoken! Sal Alinsky and Adolph would be proud.
Trident 88
AG
The name was definitely used a racial slur, regardless of its origin. That being said, I don't give 2 thin shiites. I'm in favor of making them change the name just to f*** with their fan base.

[This message has been edited by Trident 88 (edited 7/3/2014 7:58a).]
SapperAg
AG
Originally it was used as a racial identifier, though not necessarily an epithet. It became a racist slang word in the 19th century. You can interpret it however you want. Some folks will be offended. Others won't. Snyder owns the team so he gets to decide.
Skull Session
Heck, "Cowboys" is offensive, not so much the word just the way Dallas team plays football. Those lazy basterds are making a mockery of hard working, hard living, cowboys out there. Might as well change their name to "the pantywaist", while the PC police are at it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.