I'm not a Redskins fan in any way, but this is absurd

11,776 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wisconsin_Ag
DallasAggie97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This isn't a slur?

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/news/redskin-name-update?src=soc_twtr
MikeRoEconomist
AG
There was a large group calling for the name to change due to offensive racial reasons and the owner wasn't going to budge. No problem with the butting in.
Sandman98
AG
Who cares about the depression, alcoholism and substance abuse, and suicide rates in the Indian community. We need more white lawyers and politicians telling them what they should really be pissed about. That Gawd damned football team's name has kept them down for decades.

I'm sure I'll find DallasAgs writings on the subject in Aggies Only?
Squadron7
AG
quote:
However, I cannot see how in the future that we can name a team the W*tbacks, the Sp1cs, or anything like these terms. Would a team ever be named after the N-word?

Thank God we have the Trademark office to stand in the way of everyone wanting to do this.

So what is the formula for what is to be considered a slur? Or are you just going to know it when you see it?
AG
DallasAggie is on crack. There is no comparison between Redskins and the other racial slurs you mention. None. There are no teams pushing that agenda, so stick with the actual facts. The vast majority of Americans and Native Americans polled do not find the name of the team offensive. This is exactly the wrong decision and is no way for the Federal Government to intervene in private business to "correct" political thought. The PTO tried this tactic in 1998 and lost. They will lose again. It's time for the ridiculous liberal Democrat thought, conduct, and PC police to go. You are destroying our country and turning us into a bunch of thin skinned and weak kneed wimps.
Dr. Abbott, DDS
Isn't there a futbol team called the w-tbacks?

[This message has been edited by Dr. Abbott, DDS (edited 6/18/2014 4:05p).]
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I'm really glad to hear that issues where American Indians have the highest rate such as suicide, teen pregnancy, child mortality and school drop out rates have been thoroughly addressed by those spending their time, money and efforts on changing the team name of the Washington Redskins.
TPS_Report
AG
quote:
I'm glad that we can civilly disagree.

However, I cannot see how in the future that we can name a team the W*tbacks, the Sp1cs, or anything like these terms. Would a team ever be named after the N-word?

Are you suggesting that history should be forgotten if enough time passes?

History is ALWAYS forgotten if enough time passes.

As for other possible team names, the N-word was just the Anglicized version of the Latin word for the color black. Perhaps 300 years from now it will go back to just meaning the color black and not be a slur. If that is the case, then why care that it was a slur 300 years ago.

I think it would be awesome if Mexico had a soccer team called the Guadalajara Gringos! That would friggin' rool!

And again, I think the native American community can learn a lot from that attitude. Find a way to build a positive out of the slur and it will stop being a slur. Granted, it's easy for me to say that being a member of the white-boy hall of fame and junk.

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange.
TPS_Report
AG
quote:
I'm really glad to hear that issues where American Indians have the highest rate such as suicide, teen pregnancy, child mortality and school drop out rates have been thoroughly addressed by those spending their time, money and efforts on changing the team name of the Washington Redskins.

Perhaps in the distant past they obsessed over a similar hot-button and that's kept them from advancing at least into the Bronze Age.

There, I said it!

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange.
Squadron7
AG
quote:
And again, I think the native American community...

That's just it. It isn't "the Native American" community. It is the Permanently Aggrieved Pseudo Victim Community.
CypressAg13
AG
quote:
So the Trademark office is taking back the trademark?

Isn't there a name for that?
DallasAggie97
AG
quote:
You are destroying our country and turning us into a bunch of thin skinned and weak kneed wimps.

Destroying the country? A football team name can do that?

So when that word was used to mean the scalped head of Native American, that was a nice term?

Most Americans may not believe that the Rebel battle flag isn't offensive. Does that mean that Anyone that sees the flag as offensive is wrong? You going to tell them how to feel? Are you going to tell them that the battle flag was fighting for the rights of slaves?

Please tell us how people should feel about things. They obviously can decide on their own. We will let you tell us.
Squadron7
AG
Bobcat06
AG
DA97,

Did you ever admit that you support reparations?
DallasAggie97
AG
quote:
DA97,

Did you ever admit that you support reparations?

Why would I say I do when I think that this idea is stupid?
DayAg!
S
This is the kind of mindset that has let this country become what it is today. I told you once I'll say it again. Liberalism is a disease of the mind. It cant be cured, never has been. Because the way they think is rooted in deception. They are deceived in such a way as to believe their noble cause is the right thing to do. But on the other hand. 99% of liberals only adhere to liberalism if it doesn't interfere with them or their money. It' like , dont do as I do, do as I say kinda thing. It's their way or you're offending people. Just cause they said you were. The lot of em will most likely burn in hell but it aint up to me to decide. So at least they have that goin for em.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:
Can't wait for the GLBT lobby to get the packers to change their name.
TXAGBQ76
AG
So the Cowboys and Texans will gave to change next because the Cowboys whipped the Indians and the Texans whipped the Mexicans?

What about the Cleveland Browns?
cupcakesprinkles
AG
quote:
What about the Cleveland Browns?

So disgusting. I'm writing my Senator right now.
Bobcat06
AG
As a native Texan I'm offended that the embarrassments down in Houston claim to represent me
Chips2003
AG
quote:
This isn't a slur?

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/news/redskin-name-update?src=soc_twtr

This is completely false.

http://anthropology.si.edu/goddard/redskin.pdf

H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Lots of easily offended, thin skinned, butthurt posters on this thread about the name of a sports team that they are not fans of and have no connection to in their daily lives. I guess some people can find offense to anything In the PC culture these days.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I would think Native Americans would find allies here since everyone here is a victim of some undefined govt taking/overreach? Exactly like the Trail of Tears.
petey88
Don't really care either way, except I used to be a Cowboys fan when Landry was there.

Now they got balerbob3, they are even more trash.

Heard today, that this government move was also done in 1999, and later overturned. But it was on a TV news report that said it.
Mathguy64
AG
Snyder just need to change the name to the Upurasses. The Los Angeles Upurasses. The logo can be a fist, middle finger extended. And then move the team the next day. But not in the dead of night like the other chicken****s who moved (heres looking at you Modell and Irsay) out in broad daylight.
Vile Weed
This ruling does nothing. It doesn't open use of the name up to the free market, nor will it have any impact on Snyder or the organization. Snyder stills owns the rights to the name under the common law. If someone attempts to use it, he will sue and he will win.

Such a stupid effing dog and pony show. Offense is completely subjective. Who gets to determine whose "offense" gets dealt with and whose doesn't? I'm offended by two Austin dudes kissing, but since this town is at least 60% gay, majority rules and I just have to deal with it.
10Aggie10
AG
DallasAggie97

it is a slur.
i agree that we are too PC today, but if we're going to protect the queers, blacks, and other protected classes then it's only fair to rid the league of this slur
Sandman98
AG
quote:
Please tell us how people should feel about things.

People feel a lot of ways about a lot of things. Should we police every other word or image that happens to offend someone? Sadly we've done too much of that and words have become more scrutinized than actual crime. Stop being a part of the problem.
One Nine
[24 hour ban---Texags Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/19/2014 12:21a).]
Rocky Rider
AG
Yep, really disparaging.

quote:
Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,

Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!

Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

Unknown_handle
AG
Dallasaggie you are wrong! Why ever offer a trademark if some political wind blown by idiots can undo it?

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH CALLING A TEAM REDSKINS!!!! It is not intended to be derogatory. It is intended to let their opponent that they are a formidable opponent in their own right. That is why they aren't called the Washington Squaws or Washington Opossums.

I guess if the Nazi's had sued us for calling them Krauts we would have surrendered to them too!
DallasAggie97
AG
It was meant to differentiate them from the Boston Braves baseball team. Their owner at the time said so. He didn't mention that it was meant to honor anyone.

Check your facts.
Papito Espurz
[Banned---Texags Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/19/2014 12:24a).]
jja79
AG
This is an issue? Isn't this the country that slaughtered the natives as it expanded west and herded those that remained on to the least desirable lands and gave them sovereignty? Now that's offensive.
SamjamAg
AG
I'm surprised some of you claim an Aggie education. This is not about whether you support the name or not, it's about free commerce and government taking your property.

What is threshold for reccsinding a trademark? I saw a survey they said 70% of native Americans support the redskins.

If 5 women claim to be offended by Hooters name, are they forced to lose thei trademark?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.