Real Estate
Sponsored by

June Housing Data Across Texas

5,540 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Sea Speed
txaggie_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started falling right as his speech was beginning...
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Exactly.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TokinAg
AG
Sure, if you zoom in far enough on a chart, lots of moves seem dramatic. I don't think this is abnormal treasury yield volatility on a day where the Fed chair is reporting data.

Like I said, this is a net "good" trend for mortgage rates (at the expense of overall economic weakness), but I don't think many people are looking at a 5 day treasury trend when deciding on a 15-30 year mortgage. Or at least, I don't think they should be.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The market is pricing in the expectation of an imminent target rate cut. I think that's relevant to this conversation and to folks here who are curious about real estate trends.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Payroll numbers came in worse than expected. The market is now pricing in roughly 125 bps of target rate cuts by December (I don't see how this is possible), and the 10 year treasury yield is currently down about 15 bps this morning (dropped ~20 bps immediately after payroll numbers were released). Incredible.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

https://www.cmegroup.com/markets/interest-rates/cme-fedwatch-tool.html

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/US10Y
Ryan the Temp
AG
The Austin info is interesting. The property we're buying had been on the market for 200 days when we made our offer. We ended up getting it for about 16% below the original asking and it appraised for 8% more than we're paying.

Is it reasonable to assume there will be some softening that brings the value down in the fairly near term?
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Where did you end up buying? Each neighborhood is going to be different. I helped an Ag out with his Circle C home this past May and we got $50k over asking. I also had another listing in Western Oaks go for $30k over asking in April. A couple I helped out in Belterra though were able to buy their home for 97% of asking price.

16% off asking is definitely a win. That's the reason I was asking where did you end up buying. These next couple of months will definitely say something about the Austin area.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Ryan the Temp
AG
Red Pear Felipe said:

Where did you end up buying? Each neighborhood is going to be different. I helped an Ag out with his Circle C home this past May and we got $50k over asking. I also had another listing in Western Oaks go for $30k over asking in April. A couple I helped out in Belterra though were able to buy their home for 97% of asking price.

16% off asking is definitely a win. That's the reason I was asking where did you end up buying. These next couple of months will definitely say something about the Austin area.
Blackland 78722
Sea Speed
AG
Leaving the tine?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Sea Speed said:

Leaving the tine?
Nope. Buying a condo in Austin because we're going to be spending more time there. It's a better investment than hotels lighting money on fire.
Heineken-Ashi
Ryan the Temp said:

Sea Speed said:

Leaving the tine?
Nope. Buying a condo in Austin because we're going to be spending more time there. It's a better investment than hotels lighting money on fire.
Flip to the sips confirmed
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Ryan the Temp
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Sea Speed said:

Leaving the tine?
Flip to the sips confirmed
Well, I am, in fact, considering a Ph.D. program there.
Sea Speed
AG
Diggity said:

Sea Speed said:

Relevant Twitter thread

interesting data but Amy Nixon is a doom and gloomer. It's her engagement schtick.

Is inventory growing in the Metroplex? Sure...but it needed to.

Jumping from 2.5 to 3.8 months of inventory (while prices contract slightly) does not scream correction to me.

The "balanced" market inventory has always been quoted at six months. I would argue that's a bit high, but four months is not a glut by any means.

This article talks a bit more about the recent market trends. It's behind a paywall on my desktop, but I could read it fine on my phone for some reason

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2024/06/17/north-texas-housing-inventory-hits-12-year-high-what-happens-next/

Revisiting this because I have now been on the lookout for this lady and youre absolutely correct, 100% doomer, but it is pretty crazy some of the stuff she posts about Dallas area.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.