Real Estate
Sponsored by

November Housing Data Across Texas

4,546 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
HOUSTON

From HAR:
Quote:

November marked the first time in 19 months that single-family homes sales were in positive territory with sales rising 4.9 percent year-over-year. When compared to pre-pandemic November 2019, sales were down 3.2 percent and when stacked up against the sales volume in November 2018, five years ago, sales were statistically flat.

In addition to the increase in single-family sales volume, total property sales rose 3.7 percent and total dollar volume climbed 7.5 percent from $2.7 billion to $2.9 billion. Single-family pending sales rose 11.9 percent. Active listings, or the total number of available properties, were 13.5 percent ahead of the 2022 level.

Months of inventory expanded from a 2.8-months supply last November to 3.5 months, matching its October 2023 level. It is the greatest supply of homes since November 2019. Housing inventory nationally is at a 3.6-months supply, according to the latest report from the National Association of Realtors (NAR). A 4.0- to 6.0-month supply is generally considered a "balanced market" in which neither buyer nor seller has an advantage.

THE FACTS
  • Months inventory fell month over month from 3.6 months to 3.5 months.
  • As mentioned above, total sales increased for the first time in 19 months.
  • Average pricing is up 1.0% YOY and median pricing is down 1.2% YOY.
  • The 10 year US treasury continued its 2 month decline to about 4.166% today.
  • CPI numbers released yesterday came in at: 3.1% YOY and basically flat (up 0.1%) from October.

[img][/img]

https://www.har.com/content/department/newsroom?pid=2017

MY TAKE
  • Months inventory fell month over month from 3.6 months to 3.5 months. This is not a good sign for buyers, or the health of the market, in my opinion. November normally sees increasing inventory leading into December, not the other way around.
  • Falling inventory, coupled with falling inflation (fueled by lower gas prices) and falling interest rates could make for a hot spring and summer 2024. "Here we go again" is the short version of my take today.
  • The last two weeks or so have been busy for me, with a new listing under contract, signing a few leases, and several new listings. I've also had several future buyers reach out in the last two weeks, which I haven't had in a while.
  • All in all, it feels like the market feels like we may have hit "bottom". If that's right, buckle up.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Bryan / College Station Area Statistics:

• Both Bryan & College Station saw their months of inventory dip, Bryan went from 3.9 months to 3.6 & College Station went from 2.8 months to 2.5 months.
  • Bryan saw the median home price MoM increase from $262.5K to $275.7K. Probably attributable to a few larger properties ended up closing.
  • Median Home Prices for the B/CS area have come down from September 2023's $318K to November's $300K even. That is a 6% decrease.

My Take and Transactions:

• It was a quiet month overall, only had 1 closing. But we were able to secure our client a large seller credit over $7,000 that was used in tandem with our rebate to buy their rate down to 5.99%. The home purchase was just over $300K, so it was some serious savings that our client benefited from with nothing out of their pocket!
  • I am getting a lot more email blasts from home builders throughout the Brazos that is offering anywhere from 4-6% additional pricing reductions/concessions to agents if they can bring buyers to their new construction homes...
  • Speaking of new construction - one of my wife's and I's favorite things to do is go tour new builds throughout the area. This has given me exposure to so many of the new communities throughout the area and provided some really eye-popping differences between all the builders and where they choose to spend the money on these new homes.

Bryan/College Station MSA:

Bryan:

College Station:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Jack
Sponsor
NORTH TEXAS

"High mortgage rates continue to decrease demand for homebuyers, leading to Texas' total home sales falling 3.7 percent to 26,164 sales in October. The "Big Four" metros were split with Austin and Dallas experiencing gains while Houston and San Antonio fell significantly. Austin had the highest monthly elevation with a 2.4 percent growth rate while San Antonio plummeted by 6.1 percent. The gap between Dallas and Houston grew as they moved in opposite directions. High mortgage rates continue to increase the entry barrier for buyers, leaving only the most committed buyers in the market."

However, as Jamie pointed out we just saw a meaningful decline in the 10-Year. If that trend continues we should see continued decline in mortgage rates which will likely spin up demand.

Otherwise things were pretty much status quo in November and on par to prior months. Median Price is flat with Sales Volume declining, however, Day on Market and Active Listings continuing to climb due to previously stated weak demand.

Dallas County & Rockwall County bucking the trend and posting meaningful price increases for the month.

If rates fall and demand bounces back, inventory is still low enough were it might get frothy quickly once again. However, I think we need sub 5 rates for that to happen metro wide, which would peg the 10-Year in the 3s.

Other North Texas counties available upon request
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Home sales in Austin remain strong despite continued higher rates

Quote:

"Buyers in Central Texas now have a more abundant selection of homes to peruse than in previous years," Ashley Jackson, 2023 ABoR president, said. "The drop in median home prices indicates buyers can be a little more selective in the search for a home that checks all their boxes. For buyers actively shopping for a homeand those who have been sitting on the fence waiting for their time to strikenow is the time to contact your REALTOR and get serious about buying a home."

Clare Losey, Ph.D., housing economist for ABoR, noted that elevated mortgage rates are contributing to the decline in home prices and an increase in active listings as homes remain on the market for longer.

"A rise in mortgage rates reduces buyers' purchasing power, so the moderation in home prices helped to offset some of the decline in affordability. However, rates peaked in late October and early November, signaling a rise in buyers' purchasing power moving into 2024.

Austin Facts
  • Median sales prices fell again. Median sales prices are at $424,450 which is an 8% decrease YOY.
  • Closed sales were up 0.2% YOY. People are still buying even with higher rates.
  • Months inventory fell month over month from 4.0 months to 3.7 months. This is still 0.7 months higher YOY.
  • I helped a couple purchase a new build home last month. They were able to use our rebate to get $4,200 in credit at closing.

Austin-Round Rock

Bastrop County

Caldwell County

City of Austin

Hays County

Travis County

Williamson County

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Sea Speed
AG
Hey Jamie, do you have this kind of data for SETX?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Yeah man! You want Beaumont?
Sea Speed
AG
Yea that would be awesome. I wonder if there is golden triangle data that includes all this surrounding area as well. Thanks my friend.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
Austin Rental Data
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Midland

Odessa

Beaumont

pocketrockets06
AG
The interesting thing about this chart is how many more SFH than duplexes there are. That's a factor of 10. Really hard to keep housing affordable if higher density housing doesn't exist.
Diggity
AG
duplexes are a pretty inefficient method of MFH to begin with. Compare those numbers to apartment units and they're hardly a factor.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
15%+ increase in median pricing in both Midland and Beaumont is not what I expected.
94chem
I'm just trying to sell one, not an entire market.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
BCS Stats are up!

No fancy summary chart this month
TxAG-010
AG
Midland is the weirdest place in the state. For both good and bad reasons.
Texker
AG
Always appreciate you taking the time to post this info. Gotta say Rockwall County is booming with housing development. Houses going up everywhere and thousands more to come. Insane.
2aggiesmom
TxAG-010 said:

Midland is the weirdest place in the state. For both good and bad reasons.
My daughter is in Midland. Her and her husband live in a small rental that happens to be the house where baby Jessica fell down the well years ago. I had never been there but we came to meet our new grandbaby. I know they are wanting to buy, but from the listings I saw, plus just driving around is not much nice on the market for a small family.
TxAG-010
AG
I feel for first time homeowners in Midland, not a lot to choose from out of quality, location, affordable. You can get one of the three, but you will pay for it one way or another. If you buy location that is "affordable" you will undoubtedly be renovating the entire house which will cost you the same if not more than similar priced homes.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I have a lot for sale for a client that is ready for development in a nice neighborhood in Midland. Happy to discuss if they would like more info.

7 Lafayette Pl, Midland
$113,900

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/3z01iufc
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.